R9 and R7 support in 10.10 (Finally)

Grzesiek13

77 posts in this topic

I also have an AMD R7 260x and have tried @Slice suggestion, but still having very low benchmark (Heaven Engine). Please tell me that AMD Connector patch is mandatory, that's all i need to know before i dig into that brain-eating stuff :D

Sorry, connector patch has no relation to low benchmark.

Sorry, connector patch has no relation to low benchmark.

Thank you Slice, for clearing that up. Do you think it's because of buggy kext of Yosemite? Can you suggest anything else I can do with my R7 260X? I'm getting 7~10fps on Basic preset of Heaven Engine, while it's 30~50fps on High preset with Windows 8.1 :(

I have a gigabyte r9 270x and it works fine as (7950, I think that's what it said it was) in 10.9.1 . I cannot get it to work in 10.9.5 or 10.10.1.

could anyone tell me why it works in 10.9.1 but not new OSX?

and if I was to fake id for clover what should I put in?

btw just about every game I have worked with the r9 270x in 10.9.1 perfectly

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quick update.

My new Dell U2414H has arrived and the 7790 works OOB connected via HDMI  :D

and this is 7790 as the only GPU [Read: Intel HD4600 disabled in the BIOS] ... yet no flickering whatsoever :thumbsup_anim:  

I'm still on 10.10.2 BTW

Hope this info helps someone

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sapphire r7 260x 1gb working with dp (hdmi needs sleep+wake) thanks to slice's config  :)

but probably since I updated to 10.10.2, it starts randomly hang and reboot, mostly happen when i play youtube videos

does anybody have the same issue?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a custom built PC with a AMD 10 Kaveri, a Gigabyte Motherboard ITX FM2+ that includes a X88 chipset. Everything works great using Niresh's Hackintosh Zone OS X distribution. I have a dedicated XFX 260x Core Edition GPU as well installed on this machine that is not working.

It has been a while since I touched a Mac installation and had been training alot in C# and C++ and I thought that maybe I could give the Mac platform a try again and also help the comunity since I have gained alot software development knowledge.

Last time I tried installing a distribution was when Snow Leopard/iAtkos/iDeneb (I think that was the name) came out and I would like to say thank you for everyone that contributed to make it all to way to this level. My experience has been a success except for the GPU configuration.

My installation process goes has follow:

I downloaded HackintoshZone Yosemite DMG image and restored it to a flashdrive with Transmac on a PC. It booted perfectly and I used the following flags:

/amd -v npci=0x3000

The installer booted and I partitioned the HDD to GUID with 1 journaled partition on it. I started my first instalation with Chameleon and included the npci=0x3000 boot flag from the menu. I also tested Clover and manually typed the boot flag since I always get the PCI configuration paused screen.

With both bootloader tested on Legacy Boot and UEFI they worked. Now the problem is that my GPU is not really getting configured properly.

I tried dragging the 3 AMD Kext that you guys have been talking about around in the forum to the desktop; the AMD8000, AMD4000 and AMD7000 and inserted my GPU's ID which is 6658 and then the rest I guessed it would be 1002, so tha makes it 0x66581002. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I included the device id on both AMD8000 and AMD7000 kext and replace the naming convention of Bonaire AMD.... with the device ID as well on the AMD4000 kext.

Once I did this with Texteditor manually by going into each kext and right clikcing and showing package content and saving the file, then I proceeded to install with Kext Wizard.

I got  some sort of kernel panic that keep restarting the system.

I reinstalled Yosemite and started from fresh again with Clover and used the Clover configuration app from within the Mac OS operating system. Added the FakeID to the ATI field under devices and left everything else in default checkmarked. Now, with this configuration saved and after rebooting I noticed that on the System Profiler now each GPU had a proper name of AMD Radeon R7 GPU ( remember that Kaveri APU have an integrated GPU R7 as well with a diffrent ID number.)

After messing around with it for a while, I was still unable to configure this GPU properly. Resolution stays at 1024x728 and GPU memory stayed at 5MB.

What should I be doing to correctly solve this issue and what are the steps?

Clover for me is new but I can get on track if you guys help me or to modify some text as well or install them.

I will share with you a full report of my computers specification taken with AIDA64.

https://onedrive.liv...ithint=file,txt

Your support will aid me to support others in the comunnity as well. Thank You.

I have a custom built PC with a AMD 10 Kaveri, a Gigabyte Motherboard ITX FM2+ that includes a X88 chipset. Everything works great using Niresh's Hackintosh Zone OS X distribution. I have a dedicated XFX 260x Core Edition GPU as well installed on this machine that is not working.

It has been a while since I touched a Mac installation and had been training alot in C# and C++ and I thought that maybe I could give the Mac platform a try again and also help the comunity since I have gained alot software development knowledge.

Last time I tried installing a distribution was when Snow Leopard/iAtkos/iDeneb (I think that was the name) came out and I would like to say thank you for everyone that contributed to make it all to way to this level. My experience has been a success except for the GPU configuration.

My installation process goes has follow:

I downloaded HackintoshZone Yosemite DMG image and restored it to a flashdrive with Transmac on a PC. It booted perfectly and I used the following flags:

/amd -v npci=0x3000

The installer booted and I partitioned the HDD to GUID with 1 journaled partition on it. I started my first instalation with Chameleon and included the npci=0x3000 boot flag from the menu. I also tested Clover and manually typed the boot flag since I always get the PCI configuration paused screen.

With both bootloader tested on Legacy Boot and UEFI they worked. Now the problem is that my GPU is not really getting configured properly.

I tried dragging the 3 AMD Kext that you guys have been talking about around in the forum to the desktop; the AMD8000, AMD4000 and AMD7000 and inserted my GPU's ID which is 6658 and then the rest I guessed it would be 1002, so tha makes it 0x66581002. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I included the device id on both AMD8000 and AMD7000 kext and replace the naming convention of Bonaire AMD.... with the device ID as well on the AMD4000 kext.

Once I did this with Texteditor manually by going into each kext and right clikcing and showing package content and saving the file, then I proceeded to install with Kext Wizard.

I got  some sort of kernel panic that keep restarting the system.

I reinstalled Yosemite and started from fresh again with Clover and used the Clover configuration app from within the Mac OS operating system. Added the FakeID to the ATI field under devices and left everything else in default checkmarked. Now, with this configuration saved and after rebooting I noticed that on the System Profiler now each GPU had a proper name of AMD Radeon R7 GPU ( remember that Kaveri APU have an integrated GPU R7 as well with a diffrent ID number.)

After messing around with it for a while, I was still unable to configure this GPU properly. Resolution stays at 1024x728 and GPU memory stayed at 5MB.

What should I be doing to correctly solve this issue and what are the steps?

Clover for me is new but I can get on track if you guys help me or to modify some text as well or install them.

I will share with you a full report of my computers specification taken with AIDA64.

https://onedrive.liv...ithint=file,txt

Your support will aid me to support others in the comunnity as well. Thank You.

I have actually the same problem. Looking for solutions... :(

My Hardware ID is 0x66581002, seems that this model of r7 260x may have the worst support in OSX/sad

I am still testing my XFX 260x Core Edition on my machine with every possible solution and will update once I have more results.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The hd7790 is working fine in Yosemite. I use it on my ASUS P8B75-M without Problems (iGPU HD4000 off at this time) But I'm googling and searching to death - Is there any solution to get HDMI Audio out of this piece?

I have the following problem:

got SAPHIRE R7 260X 2GB with UEFI-Bios here. No matter, how i configure my CLOVER (latest Edition r3561), i'll never get the fake-id for ATI injected (using 0x66401002).

The original ID is 0x66581002. If i patch the info.plist of AMD8000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX4000.kext, the Card will work fully supported, but uses allways "ATY, AMDRadeonframebuffer".

Could not determine, which Framebuffer to use to patch the card working with DP and HDMI.

My config.plist of CLOVER uses the follwing entries:

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DualLink</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>Exmoor</string>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>InjectEDID</key>
        <true/>
        <key>NvidiaSingle</key>
        <false/>
        <key>PatchVBios</key>
        <true/>
        <key>VRAM</key>
        <integer>2048</integer>
        <key>VideoPorts</key>
        <integer>4</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ATIConnectorsController</key>
        <string>8000</string>
        <key>ATIConnectorsData</key>
        <string>020000000001000000010103220502040200000000010000000102031204010300040000040300000001030711020301000400000001000000010403210305050004000004030000000105071000040200040000000100000001060320010505</string>
        <key>ATIConnectorsPatch</key>
        <string>000800000402000000010000220501030004000004030000000100071204020100040000040300000001000021030302040000001402000000010000110204040004000004030000000100001000050500020000140200000001000010000606</string>

Attached you can find my CLOVER.plist - CLOVER BootLog - IORegistry Screenshot, DPCIManager Screenshot and Systeminfo Screenshot.

Card seems to be fully supportet, no glitches or artifacts, full Quarz/CE - but just standard AMD Framebuffer. As you can see in the Bootlog file, Clover did not use the FakeID for ATI.

PS: forget to mention, that i dont use any SSDT or DSDT files.

There is one more thing: even if i use unpatched kexts of AMD8000Controller and AMDRadeonX4000 and within CLOVER the option to inject FakeID 0x66401002, it seems, that the FakeID would not be implemented during bootup. Even than got the same entries within CloverBootLog (see attached File). BTW: System is EL CAPITAN DP7 rev 15A263E

post-598588-0-51796500-1440691018_thumb.png

post-598588-0-76120400-1440691032_thumb.png

post-598588-0-31734700-1440691047_thumb.png

CLOVER_BOOT_LOG.rtf

config._plist.txt

Set

<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Futomaki</string>

Why use FUTOMAKI for this card as prefered framebuffer? FUTOMAKI ist not a framebuffer within AMD8000Controller.kext - so why not use EXMOOR or BALADI ?

Is the use of a proper framebuffer related to the connectors a card has? My card (R7 260x) just have 3 physical connectors, but BALADI and EXMOOR from 8000Controller.kext have 6 entrys that may have to be patched.

Please explain, why you mention to use FUTOMAKI here...

Why use FUTOMAKI for this card as prefered framebuffer? FUTOMAKI ist not a framebuffer within AMD8000Controller.kext - so why not use EXMOOR or BALADI ?

Is the use of a proper framebuffer related to the connectors a card has? My card (R7 260x) just have 3 physical connectors, but BALADI and EXMOOR from 8000Controller.kext have 6 entrys that may have to be patched.

Please explain, why you mention to use FUTOMAKI here...

I tested R7-240 and Futomaki was very good with it.

Working R7 240 in Mavericks    

Test other names and report what is better.

@ Mork

So when u assign Exmoor in the config.plist it loads up  the Default RadeonFramebuffer  ? ( isnt that what the ATI Injection is suppose to do  when all things go south )

And from my Experience when Kexts are patched correctly (meaning dev/ven id in Bonaire Section of the 8000Controller) don´t even need the ATI Injection set to True it will detect the correct Framebuffer by itself. 

maybe thats what messing with u  ?

im pretty positive when ATI Injection is set to False it will assign  Exmoor alright  or whatever u assigned in FBName.  ( or am i mixing the two bootloaders options now i hope not )

you could  try Baladi  as u mentioned since its the other Framebuffer  next to Exmoor inside your 8000 Series 

u could also try injecting the Framebuffer only via DSDT 

as for your FakeID Experiments:

i think u dont need to use a Fake ID since you have a Supported Chipset on your Card ,if im not wrong it should be Bonaire which is present  in the Kext .

And AFAIK when using FakeID  u need to boot twice without cache to get it working proper , maybe another Reason why it failed on your tests.

just a few guesses 

Have a nice Weekend

• 1 month later...

@Slice

I read your post and tried to apply that solution for R7 360, but it doesn't work. System boots up, but right after "[Agpm Controller] Unknown Platform" black screen appears, and system reboots. I tried DVI and DP outputs. I tried with FakeID set to 0x665D1002 and 0x665C1002.

When I set Inject to False for ATI then system starts properly, but in low res and no QE/CI.

Any idea?

My specs:
10.10.5 Retail, Asrock Z87 Pro4, i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3@1600. The system is clean. No customized kexts. No mess in /S/L/E. Just FakeSMC.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext in the Clover directory.

PS

R9 280X works fine OOTB. My Hackintosh used to work fine before I installed R7 360 so this issue is not caused by wrong hackintosh configuration.

@Slice

I read your post and tried to apply that solution for R7 360, but it doesn't work. System boots up, but right after "[Agpm Controller] Unknown Platform" black screen appears, and system reboots. I tried DVI and DP outputs. I tried with FakeID set to 0x665D1002 and 0x665C1002.

When I set Inject to False for ATI then system starts properly, but in low res and no QE/CI.

Any idea?

My specs:

10.10.5 Retail, Asrock Z87 Pro4, i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3@1600. The system is clean. No customized kexts. No mess in /S/L/E. Just FakeSMC.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext in the Clover directory.

PS

R9 280X works fine OOTB. My Hackintosh used to work fine before I installed R7 360 so this issue is not caused by wrong hackintosh configuration.

If you set Inject=false then FakeID will not be applied so why you have no QE/CI.

If you set true then connectors patch may be required.

I may suggest for you to set FakeID 6640 and set DSDT fix 

<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<true/>

It will inject FakeID.

As well it may requires additional ReuseFFFF=true or DropOEM_DSM.

Your nativeID=0x665F?

• Like 1

If you set Inject=false then FakeID will not be applied so why you have no QE/CI.

You got me wrong. Injection was initially set to false. I've changed it to true and applied your fix. 

I may suggest for you to set FakeID 6640 and set DSDT fix 

<true/>

It will inject FakeID.

As well it may requires additional ReuseFFFF=true or DropOEM_DSM.

OK, let's try it. 

Your nativeID=0x665F?

Yes (as far i remember). I'll confirm that and edit this post.

PS

Why do you suggest to set ID to 6640?  Here's a list of devices IDs for AMDRadeonX4000.kext and I can see that R7 390 has either 1002, 665C or 1002, 665D ID.

I've added DSDT fix:

<true/>

Tried with:

<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<true/>

And with:

<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
<true/>

I've also tried with both entries together.

I've tried with different Fake IDs: 6640, 665C and 665D.

The result is always the same: System boots up, but right after "[Agpm Controller] Unknown Platform" black screen appears, and system reboots.

Here's my config.plist.

Clover 2.3k, build 2015-08-17

What else can I provide you with to make it easier to debug the problem?

// EDIT:

There's a little progress. I've added deviceID into AMDRadeonX4000.kext. The system doesn't reboot during startup. I can see with kextstat that the kext is loaded and the card is recognized ... but it shows up as R9 360, not as R7 360. There's only 5MB of VRAM. Still no QE/CI and low resolution. Sreen attached.

post-609838-0-50227500-1446640842.png

I'm looking for some help guys. I have a r9 390x which has the same device ID as the 290x as we all know. I have tried OSX 10.9 with netkas drivers, 10.10.1-10.10.5 and 10.11. In all of the cases I get my 390x 8bg detected correctly and QE/CI is enabled. But if I run any 3D intensive applications such as GPU test I get very low frame rates. I get 25fps while running furmark x64. In windows or on my old 290x I was getting 150+ fps on the exact same OS and exact same test. I also get some strange output in console. Something about the UI was prevented from updating for x amount of seconds, or something along that line. Any help help would be greatly appreciatedskype_emoticon-0142-happy.gif