OS X Yosemite DP's builds!

2,033 posts in this topic

That just doesn't seem like it makes any sense.  As far as BT goes, the service is reportedly supposed to require BT 4.0 LE, which my dongle fully supports.  So why would it not work?  Unless there is something missing.  From everything I've read, these compatible combo cards include 802.11ac as well as BT 4.0 LE.  That's the only thing that stands out as different to me.  I could be wrong, but I'm leaning towards the ac being the problem. 

I do not think ac is the issue as on my REAL 2012 MacMini Handoff works without ac WiFi. The solution with either of the BCM cards with our without ac WiFi works on hacks. I went for the original solution as my Chinese suppliers were concerned that this card require PCIe and USB, but obviously they have gotten around it now, and the price is better. You order the BCM chip from one source and the adapter from another. in my case the chip arrived very quickly - the adapter with USPS took over two weeks longer, and had the chip been faulty I would have had a problem as by the time I could test it is was past the time allowed to return it.

I agree the solution is expensive for a hack but it depends solely on how much you value the benefits of OS X functionality on non mac equipment. Lets us hope that a fix will be found but many with older real macs have tried with USB dongles to no apparent avail, now ongoing for months.

Have a look at the topic on Mac rumours forum, and you will understand the extent of the problem.

I’m quite sure it doesn’t require 802.11ac because some Mac models that don’t have it (first rMBP for example) were reported to have working Handoff. And many also reported that the Broadcom BCM94331CD card (a/b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0) works oob too.

Ok, let me put this in perspective for all the doubters... No iPhone, I repeat, no iPhone, iPad or iPod have wireless AC apart from the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. None. How could that be a determining factor when it is not supported on any other mobile device apart from the latest iPhone? Handoff is a feature that works in conjunction with iOS and OS X. If the iOS device does not supported it, it will not be able to use it. I just don't get why people are still doubting that it is a bluetooth issue?

The only reason I doubt it is because the BT 4.0 LE dongles don't work. It's ridiculous. If the tech relies on BT 4.0 LE, and I have a BT 4.0 LE dongle, and it doesn't work, then I'm forced to believe it's something else. It doesn't make any sense any other way.

• Like 1

The only reason I doubt it is because the BT 4.0 LE dongles don't work. It's ridiculous. If the tech relies on BT 4.0 LE, and I have a BT 4.0 LE dongle, and it doesn't work, then I'm forced to believe it's something else. It doesn't make any sense any other way.

Yes, I have ordered one also and have the Gmyle which is BT 4.0 LE and it also doesn't work. I'm 99% sure that a solution to enable these dongles will be available as soon as Yosemite goes public in 9 days time. Remember, there are a lot of sites that will not let you discuss anything regarding Yosemite until it's final. There will most likely be a patch or a modified kext that will enable it. I am not going to spend £100 on the OSXWifi solution. It's overpriced by £50, if it was £50 I would consider it... £100 is out of the question. Considering that I can find the card without the adapter for £17 delivered! The adapter normally is less than the device itself. Anyway, only 9 days to go. It's most likely an issue where the OS sees the dongle as external and it needs to show as internal so it can be activated. Who knows, all I know is that there will be a solution. As long as the dongle is supported as a normal bluetooth by the OS, I'm very confident there will be one.

hi guys   :)

OS X Yosemite gets closer to its final release...

Apple already released GM Candidate 2.0 and Public Beta 5

this 'DP's builds' thread seems to be deprecated... so if you are on GM or PB, please continue your discussion on their respective topics.

Thank you in advance for your understanding

regards

--> Public beta thread

--> GM Candidate thread

• Like 1