[Help] No wake from sleep fans keep running

6 posts in this topic

Hi to all of you :)

i recently finished my first hackintosh and after a few tryouts got it running pretty fine, even with dual booting and a 21:9 display. So this brings up my issue:

My Sleep is oddly misbehaving. If i send my computer to sleep it turns out the screen and the drives just fine, but all fans keep running. Once the audible click of the hdd sounded, i can not wake up the system. Black screen, no drives waking, just fans. Hard reset and everything is still working.

So far i failed with the following methods:

darkwake=0

checking the pmset -g assertions output (nothing odd i guess)

installing the evoreboot kext

disabling hdd sleep in the system options

checking the system.log (last message always different)

System Info:

i7-4770

Gigabyte H87N-WiFi

Gigabyte GTX 660 3072 OC (Internal graphics disabled)

Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Crucial M500 SSD + WD Caviar Blue

Gmyle Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle (for the Apple Wireless)

Logitech G700 Mouse (does not wake wired or wireless)

OS X 10.9.3 (Niresh Distro updated via Combo Update)

Sorry for that long text. And thank you for even reading this.

Cheers, Leif

Same here, but in my case the computer actually sleeps. It won't wake up though, regardless of the hibernate mode I set, and of the boot flags I use. In my case, I think it's a BIOS issue, since all began when my BIOS crash to the point the motherboard had to load the backup BIOS (it's a dual BIOS Gigabyte mob, lucky me), and it was working before, with the very same settings I currently use under Mavericks. I also install 10.10 on other HDD and the issue persists, which reinforces my belief it's a BIOS issue. No solution yet... I don't want to scare you, but black screen upon wake - which is what we are both experiencing - is hell to solve, even Google doesn't return any solution.

Good luck!

Guys, my experience tells me that if you use Clover and you have SpeedStep working correctly it's a USB issue. Remove all USB stuff and try with wired mouse and keyboard of a different brand. Try sleep/wake again. There's a good chance it will work.

Another reasons of bad sleep:

- using other bootloader

- using bad custom DSDT

- using non-Apple kexts that known incompatible with sleep, for example NullCPUPM

- videocard problem. For Radeon I may say that connector patching is required

- audio problem. Not good patching of AppleHDA.

- SMBUS wrong init. Corrected by Clover patch "HaltEnabler=true"

- system setting

Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 8.15.42.png

• Like 1

The problem here is not bad sleep but bad wake. Interesting point about video cards: I found out that if I use only the 9800GT (currently I use both the HD4000 and the 9800GT), the system wakes as expected. Since I need to use both cards, I decided not to bother with fixing this anymore, even because I have a gut feeling it's related to the BIOS crash my computer had, after which the issue began to manifest, and tinkering with BIOS versions seems nothing but trouble to me.

The really bad thing is Console reports absolutely nothing when the system fails to wake, so it's really hard to debug.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, you won't believe that: after a power failure and possible power surge when the power came back, my BIOS crashed again. I just reloaded default BIOS, then started setting up from there (AHCI, IGFX first, VT-X enabled etc). And now, sleep is working properly again. Who would understand? Not me. But since it's working again, I'll consider this solved (somehow, and not really by me, but anyway). I really need a no-break, though.