10.4.8 Kernel finally decrypted!? The trolls have answered! Beta testers needed soon....

djfuq

73 posts in this topic

Plus, if we only get one hacked kernel, I'm not sure 10.4.8 should be the one. I think it should be 10.5. Hacking the kernel from 10.4.8 would be good practice, but I expect substantial changes in 10.5 and hacking that one would be a good foundation for a while into the future.

and for you skeptics out there thinking this is some practical joke: ha! I have better things to do with my time.

I think the same for all in this forum with this type of citation.

We all wanto to help, but it seems you don´t need it. OK!

I use exactly the same configuration than ramjett right now my test machine (second HD0 is running 10.4.6 trying to solve some pro apps problems.

I concord with everyelse more testers the better, there are very good ppl around here like 5-10 wich really can help

anyway that appears to b your bussiness if it works finally i will apreciate.

my observation about donating to the elites for HPET compatible systems wasnt discussed.. BTW Pentium D i think is not HPET compatible.

Be patient,

and for you skeptics out there thinking this is some practical joke: ha! I have better things to do with my time.

Yes, patience is needed. The father of the internet, Al Gore already spoke to the Apple Tiger decryption when he said in 1992 that a Tiger can't change it's spots. When pointed out that Tigers don't have spots he said he was misquoted and actually referred to a zebra. Now the situation changes when we get to 10.5, Leopard. The apostle Paul writing to the Corinthians asked the question of the day -- can a leopard change its spots?

I always have 2 installations of OSX. One to use, the other to test with. I can access one from the other. And if I royally screw up the test version, I just restore the good version over top of it.

i use carbon copy cloner for that ;-)

djfuq: Read what i wrote above in my first Post (#43). I think even though you have "Plenty" of machines to test, there will be a whole bunch when the kernel is released that won't work. You can't possibly have computers with ever type of processor/motherboard to test (Every SSE3/SSE2). Hence that is what this community is for. Even though Maxxuss being elite as he is, could not have made kernels that worked for everyone without our help in tested. We needed maxxuss's help just as much as he needed ours to test his work. It was all of us working together, even if we didn't do the coding that brought us to were we are now.

hmmm interesting, so basically are you saying that once it is released that is it? So does that mean if it doesn't work on a majority of computers even though you have "Plenty" machines to test on, you won't modify or help out with issues that arise? Correct me if i am wrong or if I mis-interpreted what you said.

your absolutely correct.

we wanted a working NEWER kernel.

i see noting wrong with the fact that I dont want be be answering any more questions about it really,

It's nice you all want to help but we have to be doing our jobs and sharing the dev work with everyone will just take up more time... ie: answering questions.

I am starting to get annoyed with the attidude here btw

If i wasnt so adamant about helping out OSX86 lovers by sharing discoveries... than i wouldnt post here.

So for the smatasses out there who cant wait to flame: you are cordially invited to f*** off.

This is the last time im logging in to this fourm until testing is complete.

cheers.

my observation about donating to the elites for HPET compatible systems wasnt discussed.. BTW Pentium D i think is not HPET compatible.

my board (945gtp) has option to enable hpet support in bios setup.. but this board is compatible only with pentium d (not core duo) so it seems that pentium d is also hpet compatible

btw, nobody answered my post about compiling kernel..:P you don't want one more developert for this?

I am starting to get annoyed with the attidude here btw

If i wasnt so adamant about helping out OSX86 lovers by sharing discoveries... than i wouldnt post here.

So for the smatasses out there who cant wait to flame: you are cordially invited to f*** off.

This is the last time im logging in to this fourm until testing is complete.

cheers.

:P hehehehehe. amuzing attitude.

my tongue says "yes! it's true! it's true! i swear! i can almost taste it from here!!!"

my nose says "balloney!"

real hackers share and are allowed to boast. other's aren't allowed to boast until they share. take good example from jas, kiki, quixos, and the rest of the efi team. you think Archimedes would have been able to hold himself and not run butt naked shouting eureka? now that's one real ancient hacker :D

i'm too hooked now on osx. i think i can't keep holding myself any longer from buying one of them mac's out there.

what do you think guys? is the hacked kernels a fruitful path or is it vain? don't mind having 2 machines though. one good looking mac, and one lean mean hackintosh machine that takes hacked kernels for breakfast.

Well i think its {censored} but if it "follows through" then thats great. Oh and the progress on the 10.4.7 kernel (which we can actually see) is fine, my kernel now boots (finally, but still panics, im getting closer), Semthex is miles ahead of me so we should hopefully see a new 10.4.7 kernel by the end of the month (or even next weekend :P). Progress is on hackint0sh.

Oh and to everyone who thinks HPEt is CPU dependent, its mre of a mobo feature as it is a precison timer on the mobo not on the cpu

I also think so

but I can't find any info on Intel website about which products has hpet, this is strange

I found only answer in support forum

---

Intel® chipsets, since quite some time ago (at least a year, if not more), have HPET on board. However, not all vendors that sell machines with Intel® chipsets enable HPET in their firmware. Some have it as a BIOS option (Dell*, for example), and sometimes it defaults to Off.

---

http://or1cedar.cps.intel.com/ISN/Communit...d/30225022.aspx

there's also option in bios setup for hpet on my 945gtp

so I don't understand people here who says that hacking new kernels isn't interesting because even in case of success it will run only on core2 systems

After taking a look to my BIOS setup I've discovered that there is an HPET related option. It may be a chipset feature which only a few Intel processors are compatible with?

I think easiest way to check this is to compile Linux kernel with option to use HPET and look if it's really used

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of stirring this hornets nest... I was truly enjoying this thread before it abruptly... stopped. All of the kernel discussion and activity has been exciting to follow with Semthex and Vitaliy really stepping up the pace. Amazingly brilliant people. Thank you for all of your work. So how proceedith the Defuq kernel? C'mon! I know I am not the only one with this thread bookmarked.