10.4.8 Kernel finally decrypted!? The trolls have answered! Beta testers needed soon....

djfuq

73 posts in this topic

Guest goodtime
here in scotland 'it fell through' also means it didnt happen...

In the US, maybe he meant "FOLLOWS THROUGH." like you follow through when you throw a baseball or follow through on a project; make it happen.

If this is true I would be interested to know if it will work with Htt prescott,as os x sees them as two cpus.(prescotts are like core duo's father in a sense)

And I dont think the proper way to say this is decrypted,I would think "Patched"

afaik the kernel is not encrypted.

I have a Prescott and OS X does see it as two processors; Hyper Threading.

GT

It's all in the title!

I figured somebody would find that troll joke amusing after months of no new "dev" news.

We all have been subjected to trolling these great fourms from begining.

I asked all vital questions that were discussed yesterday with him today at work.

The good news, yes he is ready for me to test it tomorrow.

The bad news: he is only ready for me to test it.

The reason:

Simple, we have been VERY busy at work, he more busy mentally with work than I cuz he's the coder.

He feels that since I have a working testable copy (currently only SSE2 folks, sorry)

that it should be tested before it is finished.

If there are bugs I will find them and there wont be much panic, if we release untested {censored} there will be too much jabber on the fourms. If it works great as predicted I am sure soon...

I want to make sure this is graceful and nobody has any "trouble".

We dont want to {censored} off the devs that make this {censored} happen for us. they risk their asses and dont get paid for the side work.

I think the real goal here is to tell Apple to start competing with windows and make a more balanced market (that means more varieties of IT jobs... right?) OSX proves people want pretty, yet uber bashnix hax for the nix hax0r. Its like a finely made car...

As for releasing this kernel patch {censored} on the net:

(let me be vague but for you esoteric types clear) It is much better to take a complete leak in the bathroom than ungracefully dribble in your pants during an engineering meeting in front of the boss, the police, and your moms collectively..

If I feel this is a stable build THEN we will let a few others decide... then one of you can leak in the bathroom for me! :dev:

So today's update in a nutshell:

Please be patient, we're almost there. Flame me for posting about it before I can help deliver this or save me time reading the news here.

Cheers folks,

:)

interesting, we use the exact same phrase in german, too.

p.s.

I would like to see a 10.4.8. But I doubt it exists because of the extended firmware. So the interesting

question would be how he did it. refit module in vista efi? :D

thats an interesting way to try.... very cool :)

I think its good that there is competition with hax0r's, example: bootcamp will not be here without this effort.

Also it helps keep Apple on their toes so they improve even better and also get cheaper ;) (I got a mac mini ppc :) )

We wont have free web browsers and other goodies if it were not for competition with/from hax0rs...

Awesome. Oh ya I would be glad to pay your friend, incase we get a perfect kernel.

Can we expect 855GME drivers????

We arent doing this for your money bro, although I'll double check.

You guys should be studying X-Code and making your own drivers.....

Jas so you say, we dont have a new kernel because the developers, the bright guys dont have Hpet compatible cpus? thats it? im ABSOLUTELY sure that if thats the problem the comunity can help with say a 6300 an a conroe mobo for them, its less than 250 the pair.

Really thinking that we can drift so away from apple hardware and have a new kernel running is something i could say monumentally dificult.

In my view the best route is keepeing as close posible with apple hardware.

This is just my two cents

Bye

BTW i could donate tomorrow if this is the case.

djfuq, first of all thanks for let us know what's going on. I'm really eager to see this, but there is no hurry. Just one comment. I think that the only way to make sure this does work is to take more beta testers (maybe 5 o 10, and maybe only the most skilled people around). Otherwise, there's no difference from what you're trying to avoid (releasing something not reliable enough). I mean that by being tested only by yourself, the chances of having incompatibilities are much bigger, almost the same as releasing it with no more testing that the done by the author. Even better, you should try it first, then pass it along to these few fellas. Then, after a heavy testing and debugging, release it to the crowd. Just my two cents.

[EDIT] BTW, do Pentium D processors have HPET, or it's only for Core Duos?

I asked all vital questions that were discussed yesterday with him today at work.

and what were the answers?

no offense but this sounds like more of a joke than anything else...someone bored and wanting to mess with board users...

if it is true...i would have to wait till some of the boards elite get ahold of it and take it through the ringer...

although i must say it would be nice if it were true....

yes, all this seems very strange to me.. i mean too good to be true.. 10.4.8 is released not long time ago and he binary-hacked it so fast?

btw, I'm currently working on compiling xnu-792.10.96.. I'll be happy if somebody send me some info (or links) about problems preventing us from making kernel from source and status of such work

and what were the answers?

no offense but this sounds like more of a joke than anything else...someone bored and wanting to mess with board users...

Well,

time will tell :D fortunately I have time because the current version is running fine.

So it does not matter to me if I get a new kernel now or next year with leo. (if) :D

Yeah... if you look at the maxxuss age, when he released kernels everyone tested even if it didn't work. The reason for this is because every computer is different. There were errors that some people were getting, and others were not. This helped developing a working kernel for everyone. Sorry to say,but by you testing the "patches" alone, it most likely will not work for everyone else as it will run perfectly on just your machine. What i say is you should release the kernel to a few people (5-10) people that can provide feedback. You don't have to worry about it breaking installs, or half ass working. What do you think we used when maxxuss released his patches. I have like over 10 DVD's with non working kernals, but it was well worth it to reach the goal of a working kernel.

So take that into consideration as the support for computers will go higher with more testers. Just my 2 cents.

Later

Yeah... if you look at the maxxuss age, when he released kernels everyone tested even if it didn't work. The reason for this is because every computer is different. There were errors that some people were getting, and others were not. This helped developing a working kernel for everyone. Sorry to say,but by you testing the "patches" alone, it most likely will not work for everyone else as it will run perfectly on just your machine. What i say is you should release the kernel to a few people (5-10) people that can provide feedback. You don't have to worry about it breaking installs, or half ass working. What do you think we used when maxxuss released his patches. I have like over 10 DVD's with non working kernals, but it was well worth it to reach the goal of a working kernel.

So take that into consideration as the support for computers will go higher with more testers. Just my 2 cents.

Later

Yeah,I always say this but I still remember fondly testing 17 kernels for maxxuss in one day :D

If its not released for the public to test and the dev to work on at the same time,chances are its not going to work for anyone other then the pc its tested on

djfuq, first of all thanks for let us know what's going on. I'm really eager to see this, but there is no hurry. Just one comment. I think that the only way to make sure this does work is to take more beta testers (maybe 5 o 10, and maybe only the most skilled people around). Otherwise, there's no difference from what you're trying to avoid (releasing something not reliable enough). I mean that by being tested only by yourself, the chances of having incompatibilities are much bigger, almost the same as releasing it with no more testing that the done by the author. Even better, you should try it first, then pass it along to these few fellas. Then, after a heavy testing and debugging, release it to the crowd. Just my two cents.

[EDIT] BTW, do Pentium D processors have HPET, or it's only for Core Duos?

We are not to that step yet. We have PLENTY of development machines to test on right now. I test {censored} for a living on a daily basis. Then when "____" and I decide its "stable on most/on our {censored}" then u guys can have it. We do not want this {censored} leaked all over the web until its finished.

(we are not going to support it when its declared finished)

Be patient,

and for you skeptics out there thinking this is some practical joke: ha! I have better things to do with my time.

Another problem with the kernel testing would be that it won't be as quick as

in the last versions because I don't expect it to run in vmware. Afaik they don't

support efi by now (corect me if I am wrong).

That means one instance would be like

burn it, start it, in case it fails restart, boot into XP, go online, dl the next

try, copy it over with Macdrive/Transmac, reboot. Do loop :spam:

We are not to that step yet. We have PLENTY of development machines to test on right now. I test {censored} for a living on a daily basis. Then when "____" and I decide its "stable on most/on our {censored}" then u guys can have it. We do not want this {censored} leaked all over the web until its finished.

Be patient,

and for you skeptics out there thinking this is some practical joke: ha! I have better things to do with my time.

Well in my year and and three months on this forum I have heard more then my share of b u l l s h i t , so all I can say is,lets wait and see.

burn it, start it, in case it fails restart, boot into XP, go online, dl the next

try, copy it over with Macdrive/Transmac, reboot. Do loop

I always have 2 installations of OSX. One to use, the other to test with. I can access one from the other. And if I royally screw up the test version, I just restore the good version over top of it.

djfuq: Read what i wrote above in my first Post (#43). I think even though you have "Plenty" of machines to test, there will be a whole bunch when the kernel is released that won't work. You can't possibly have computers with ever type of processor/motherboard to test (Every SSE3/SSE2). Hence that is what this community is for. Even though Maxxuss being elite as he is, could not have made kernels that worked for everyone without our help in tested. We needed maxxuss's help just as much as he needed ours to test his work. It was all of us working together, even if we didn't do the coding that brought us to were we are now.

hmmm interesting, so basically are you saying that once it is released that is it? So does that mean if it doesn't work on a majority of computers even though you have "Plenty" machines to test on, you won't modify or help out with issues that arise? Correct me if i am wrong or if I mis-interpreted what you said.