GA-H97N-WIFI anyone got a H97 to work?

19 posts in this topic

The stores here are out of H87, only the newer H97 boards are available.  Mixed that with a i5-4570 and 16G of RAM (two sticks).

I've tried pretty much everything that is on the internet, from BIOS settings, bootflags, adding kexts, etc....

I can usually boot to the Desktop, but I have random freezes, like mentioned on Z87 pages... there is a patched Z87 BIOS, but nothing for H97 so far.

My errors, that I see on the -v screen are mostly these:

"** /dev/rdisk0s2 (NO WRITE)"

"BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist:2 No such file or directory"

"SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode"

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPluginUtil::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out"

"WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo : this is an unknown CPU model 0x3c -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported."

Then, I get to the DRMStatus iTunes/Apple Store Content Access Problem.... and it's stuck.

Once, I was able to pass through the errors by installing the SSDT for "Sandy Bridge Core i5" (description: "Optimized SSDT supporting Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPUs with a maximum Turbo Boost clock of 3.8 GHz. Installs SSDT.aml in /Extra.").

Since then, nothing has worked.  I've had to re-install a few times, and I'm running in circles.

Is it too early to try to get a H97 board to work?  Should I come back in a couple of months?

Thanks!

Well, either I'm stupid, or I have the hardware combination from hell.

I've tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] combination, I've tried the myHack way, I can get the installer to install a copy of 10.9.3 on the HD, but no amount of tweaking I try, the numerous attempt at bootflags combinations, nothing, but nothing has yielded a bootable Mac OS 10.9.3.

I'm back in my 2007 nightmares when I had so much troubles trying to keep my hackintosh reliable through updates.

This was not what I was expecting.  I thought things were much easier on the hackintosh side now... 7 years later.... I found the hard way it isn't.

I don't want to give up, but I am afraid I might have to wait until some better people than me can figure how to get a H97 board to behave under OS X. 

Ok, here's a run down of things.

tonymac's methods gave me a bunch of different errors each time, but the installer always booted directly, without any bootflags.  The install went well, but I could never boot the HD without -x.  Once there, system would freeze after a couple of minutes.  Tried a few things like adding a patched DSDT or SSDT but nothing would stick.

Turned to myHack.

Installed on a USB key, couldn't get the installer to boot without -x.  Once adding -x, I installed OS 10.9.3, the myHack generic files and tried to boot the HD.  I get KP from CPU1 or CPU2.

Here's a run down of the BIOS settings on my board GA-H97N-WIFI, i5-4570 I have now, trying to follow what I read from the internet.

Bios version F2 (latest for my board according to Gigabyte)

Loaded Optimised settings which include:

CPU Clock Ratio: 32 - Auto

CPU PLL Selection - Auto

Filter PLL Level - Auto

Uncore Ratio - Auto

Intel Turbo Boost Tech - Auto

Turbo Ratio 1-2-3-4  - Auto

Turbo Power limit - 84W

Core current Limit - 95A

No of Cores enabled - 4

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Auto

C3 State Support - Auto

C6/C7 State Support - Auto

CPU Thermal Monitor - Auto

CPU EIST Function - Auto

PCIe Slot Configuration - Auto

DMI Gen2 Speed - Enabled

3DMark01 Boost - Disabled

Fast Boot - Disabled

Limit CPUID Max - Disabled

Execute Disabled Bit - Enabled

Intel Virtualization Technology - Enabled

Intel TXT(LT) Support - Disabled

VT-d - Disabled

Windows 8 Features - Other OS

Boot Mode Selection - Legacy only

Lan PXE Boot Option Rom - Disabled

Storage Boot Option Control - Legacy only

Other PCI Device ROM Priority - UEFI OpROM

Network Stack - Disabled

Initial Display Output - IGFX

PHC LAN Controller - Enabled

XHCI Mode - Auto

Audio Controller - Enabled

Intel Processor Graphics - Enabled

Intel Processor Graphics Memory Allocation - 512M

DVNT Total Memory Size - Max

Intel Rapid Start Technology - Disabled

Legacy USB Support - Enabled

XHCI Hand-off - Enabled

EHCI Hand-off - Enabled

Two Layer KVM Switch - Disabled

Sata

Integrated SATA Controller - Enabled

SATA Mode Selection - AHCI

Intel Smart Connect Technology Support - Disabled

Power

Power Loading - Auto

Resume by Alarm - Disabled

Wake on LAN - Disabled

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN - Instant Off

RC6 (Render Standby) - Enabled

AC BACK - Always Off

Power On by Keyboard - Disabled

Power On by Mouse - Disabled

ErP - Disabled

Platform Power Management - Disabled

Anything that would cause problems in there?

Thanks for looking!

Did you see this user? Seems to be a different setup but the board is the same.

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, and your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] software, your Forun, Tolls, links, thank you for reading  http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/   

p.s : pls read the forum rules  !!! 

InsanelyMac doesn't support tonymac's tools.  

Thanks!!!

Edited by iFIRE
removed tmac links

Did you see this user story:   ? Seems to be a different setup but the board is the same.

Yes, I tried to follow his example, but it's still a fail for me.

Can't boot without -x flag

One thing.

When I boot with -x flag, and I try to use kext wizard, the Extra tick box is greyed out.  I can't get it to do maintenance on that folder.

And myHack doesn't work while in Safe Boot, so I'm stuck there too!

Wait!

What just happened?

After a few unsuccessful tries, I got to boot without -x.  Out of the blue, without changing anything.  Just restarted like a mad person.... 

Restarted, got stuck.

Restarted again, I'm in.

Very strange.  Anyway.  At least, I am in now, so I can see what I can do.

So far, I can get it to sleep, but on awakening, screen is all garbled (snow).

Also, HD4600 isn't fully supported I guess, because I have no transparencies on the menu bar and some tearing when I move windows around.

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, and your ##### software, your Forun, Tolls, links, thank you for reading  http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/   

p.s : pls read the forum rules  !!! 

Thanks!!!

Yes, I know this position but the guy there used the same board as the OP asked for, so maybe there is no need being that rigid.

snapback.png

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, and your ##### software, your Forun, Tolls, links, thank you for reading http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/   

p.s : pls read the forum rules  !!! 

Thanks!!!

Yes, I know this position but the guy there used the same board as the OP asked for, so maybe there is no need being that rigid.

Don't worry.

I understand the frustration there is between the 2 sites.  And it came from a Moderator that is clearly tired of repeating things over and over.  

I mean, after I spent the last 4 days researching the internet (yes, with Google), finally decided to post here, the best thing this Mod has to offer is a Google link.  Soooo nice and friendly welcome back for me....

Clearly in need of a vacation.

Well, not perfect here.

1 boot out of 5 gets me to the desktop.

Then I have system freeze.  

Clearly not ready yet.

Seems to be a USB problem.

If I unplug everything except the mouse and keyboard, I can get to the desktop more easily (only fails once a while).

If I try to plug in a SB thumb drive, or a USB HD, it crashes.

I have KP on IOUSBMassStorageClass 3.6 with dependencies to all the USB kexts.

I did install the GenericUSBXHCI, and the fix for USB3...

I tried searching, googled, but I can't find anything on  IOUSBMassStorageClass KP and 10.9.

I always end up with pages mentioning 10.6, but nothing interesting on 10.9

No worries!   :)

You think by limiting my memory (I have 16G) to 4096, it will help with the USB issue?  That'd be a waste :(

It crashes every time I plug in a USB device, whether it's a USB drive, or USB sound interface.

I sometimes get KP to show on the screen, and more often just get a system freeze, and have no log to show for.

Really annoying as this is one of the 2 last things to fix before I get this machine operational enough for every day tasks. (the other is I don't have QE on HD4600).

Ok, I think I have a permissions problem.

Whenever I want to write stuff or copy to my HD root, it always asks me for Authentification.

Now, I just tried to alter the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in Extra, and it says I do not have permissions to write in that folder.

I just used Get Info, looked into Sharing and Permissions, my account name was not there.  I then added my user, with Read and Write permissions.

Used kext wizard to repair permissions and rebuild caches and .... nope... still no good.

Here's my IOReg file, should it help....

T’s Mac Pro.ioreg.zip