Hint to possible solution for 'crackling' Voodohda problem.

lagloose

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

while trying to get rid of that awful audo crackling with Voodoohda i tried nearly everything which can be found in the different forums. No succes at all. I have the effect (which obviously many people have....) that i have crackling sound. But it get's clear as soon as i move the mouse or touch the touchpad. So i decided to try a fresh installation. There i noticed that in the well known startup screen where all those 'Welcome' messages in a lot of different languages appear, they 'stutter' from right to left. But than again, as soon as i move the mouse or touch my pad the messages move flawlessly with out any stutter.
So perhaps this is hint for the more experienced Hackintosh people out there, how it perhaps can be fixed. I guess they could make a lot of people very happy.... :-)

I'm on Linux ATM. So here's a 'lspci' dump of my Samsung E257 Nano Notebook.

---

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
---

Greetz

Look here for some tips:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/104797-creative-sb-live-audigy-audigy2-emu10kx-edsps-osx-driver-info-here/page-41?do=findComment&comment=2018998

Obviously there's not much you can do regarding power management since you can never have it working natively.

Something that you can do is make sure that your bus ratio is correct:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/240542-guide-getting-your-busratio/

Hey,

thanx for replying...

I already checked my busratio respectively fsb. Started my machine with 'fsb=200' bootoption and dmesg/bdmesg exactly reports 2 cores running at 2.1 Ghz which is absolutely correct. Why do you think the problem is in the power management ? My guess is, that this is kind of an IRQ problem. Perhaps it has something to do with Voodoo PS2. Unfortunately there are no bios settings where i could change IRQ's... However, i bought a cheap USB Soundcard for 5 bucks and this worked out of the box without any problems. But due to the fact that i don't want to carry around external speakers and a stick every time, it would be great to have internal audio working...

Greetz

Im not sure if this helps... iiirc, there was a flag  that i used long time ago (i cant recall which {censored} P4 laptop it was) called "idlehalt=0" to solve my audio crackling. But i am not very sure if this flag works on vanilla kernel since i have used legacy before. ( maybe Gringo could answer that)

• 2 weeks later...

...and that is what happened. Unfortunately nothing :-) :-(

This is really a strange kind of behaviour and i have no ideas anymore how this could be solved. What's really working is the 'yes > /dev/null' workaround. This gives even clear sound with Garageband. But this is of course neither a solution nor an 'acceptable' workaround for this problem. Would be interesting to know what the 'yes' command does (Is the sourcecode for 'yes' available ?)

No, but they have a fine 35th year anniversary compilation out:

attachicon.gif220px-The_Ultimate_Yes.jpg

(sorry lol no idea)

Seriously... the source code is available here and ready for discussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1159384

It also includes no.. and more.. :P ...But I do not know if you can solve the problems of sound :hysterical:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously... the source code is available here and ready for discussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1159384

It also includes no.. and more.. :P ...But I do not know if you can solve the problems of sound :hysterical:

The problem with stuttering/crackling audio really drives me nuts and is very frustrating. Meanwhile i've discovered that in most cases the 'stuttering but not stuttering when moving the mouse' problem is not audio-specific. It seems to be a general (kernel ?) problem on some AMD machines. You can watch this (at least here..) also, when you have floating text. IE if you have installed HWMonitor, open 'About HWMonitor', watch stuttering in floating text and than move the mouse (or touch trackpad)...

I also found out what the 'yes' proggy does. It simply does this:

---
int
main(argc, argv)
	int argc;
	char **argv;
{
	if (argc > 1)
		for(;
			(void)puts(argv[1]);
	else for (;
		(void)puts("y");
}
---

'yes' is part of the OSX shell_cmds package which can be found here http://opensource.apple.com/tarballs/shell_cmds/ in different versions.

Stuttering also disappears when you have network activity i.e. when utorrent is down/uploading. It seems that 'cpu activity' in general does remove stuttering/crackling. But i have no idea where or how this can be fixed. Is it an IRQ problem ?, is it related to power management ?... No idea.

Hi there,

while trying to get rid of that awful audo crackling with Voodoohda i tried nearly everything which can be found in the different forums. No succes at all. I have the effect (which obviously many people have....) that i have crackling sound. But it get's clear as soon as i move the mouse or touch the touchpad. So i decided to try a fresh installation. There i noticed that in the well known startup screen where all those 'Welcome' messages in a lot of different languages appear, they 'stutter' from right to left. But than again, as soon as i move the mouse or touch my pad the messages move flawlessly with out any stutter.

So perhaps this is hint for the more experienced Hackintosh people out there, how it perhaps can be fixed. I guess they could make a lot of people very happy.... :-)

Greetz

You might just need to disable or mute your Microphone. Find it in the Input tab of your Sound setting. Image from Apple support site, see Input tab. Hope this will help.

HT2490-Lion-SoundEffects-001-en.png