Upgrading from 10.8 to 10.9

waldouk

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time poster so please excuse my general lack of knowledge :D

I purchased a 'pre-built' Hackintosh around a year ago. It's been pretty smooth sailing, even given my lack of technical skills. I'm now looking at installing a larger SSD and, whilst I'm at it, upgrading to 10.9 Mavericks. 

Found a great guide on this here forum which looks relatively straightforward (even for me!) Only thing is, I'm not sure how I go about 'extracting' the customisations that were put in place by my kindly supplier to get the system running on 10.8. In other words, how do I extract the stuff in the 'Extra' folder (and elsewhere) to make the process of installing 10.9 as simple as possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

andy

Hi Andy,

You need to post your specs of the pc to see what you need in the extra folder.

Also worth taking a full backup of your system onto another drive and making sure you can boot from the other drive in case you have to roll back due to issues.

Hiya d620osx,

Thanks for the reply.  Spec below:

GIGABYTE Z77 chipset - z77-DS3H (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4147#ov)

i7-2600K

Graphics - GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/36477-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-super-overclock-review-5.html)

8GB RAM

Uses a wired net connection so no need for wi-fi (which I understand can be a PITA). 

I'll be adding a new hard drive so, worse-case scenario, I can always plug-in the old SSD if I screw things up (sorry, when I screw things up!!)

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for that. My experiment was, unfortunately, a failure.

I followed the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/ 

I used the existing contents of the Extra folder from the existing set-up. Install and boot-up went fine but networking didn't work (no ethernet connection shown in System Preferences) and the audio didn't work either. I gave up at that point and reverted to the old SSD with 10.8 running on it. I'll need to do some Googling to see if there are some kexts for the motherboard.

If anyone stumbles across this and has the solution to getting Mavericks running on GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.0) it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

This is a bit of a (steep!) learning curve for me... Just found another guide that mentions copying across existing ketxs from System/Library/Extensions - I'm wondering whether, if I did that, I might have fared a little better!   

I'll do some more searching later and perhaps give it another shot in a few days once I've mustered the willpower and/or courage!

Thanks for the help again d620osx :)