Clover usb not working

7 posts in this topic

okies I have just been given a Packard bell computeri media s1710  that i would like to run osx on it, now my problem is i have made a clover usb key with BootDiskUtility.exe  

when i place the usb key in the computer and boot from it nothing is displayed just black with a flashing cursor, 

I have been able to boot the osx installer with chameleon no problems but i really wanna give clover a go 

does any one have any suggestions on what i should try next to getting this to work 

cheers

Rob

ifire i have checked the usb in ubuntu with gparted and there is only one partition on the usb stick that is formatted fat32 and named clover there is no efi partition and the clover one is set active but the same symptoms still exists of it not loading

just a black screen with a cursor its not even flashing

does this mean clover is incompatible with the computer

what are the draw back with using chameleon rather then clover as i can get chameleon work fine no problems

thanks

Rob  

man if you not post your hardware, is a bit dificult help you, clover always work, this can be a problem with the graphics kexts, try remove all Graphics kexts from USBInstaller, ATI* NVDA* AppleIntelHD* GeForce* AMD

CHECK with Gparted if the USB Partition is active to boot

Take a look in this GUIDE: (GUIDE) Create Boot USB Installer OS X Mavericks on Windows - Tutorials (The Genius Bar) - InsanelyMac Forum

okies sorry specs would help loads my bad 

Specification 

- Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz CPU 

- 2GB DDR2 Ram Memory 

- 320GB Hard Drive 

Motherboard has a nforce chip set 

the GFX card is a xfx 8600gt 

I have tired checking the boot usb in unbuntu gparted and the partition is set to active but still the same issue of not booting 

I have also removed the GFX.efi in the 64bitdrivers folder and its still the same issue 

i will now try and make the USB in a vm of lion i have and see if it will work that way 

thanks 

Rob

okies I have just been given a Packard bell computeri media s1710  that i would like to run osx on it, now my problem is i have made a clover usb key with BootDiskUtility.exe  

when i place the usb key in the computer and boot from it nothing is displayed just black with a flashing cursor, 

I have been able to boot the osx installer with chameleon no problems but i really wanna give clover a go 

does any one have any suggestions on what i should try next to getting this to work 

cheers

Rob

FWIW I have never been able to get that utility to work right (would only make a working chamaleon loader, and installer would not be found).. I had to create my installer manually through a virtual OSX machine... Its easy enough, just format a USB stick with one GUID partition, restore the installer to the USB stick (you can get the exact command pretty easily - google is your friend)  then run the clover installer and have it put it in the ESP.. (assuming its a UEFI PC), otheriwse install it as legacy.

FWIW I have never been able to get that utility to work right (would only make a working chamaleon loader, and installer would not be found).. I had to create my installer manually through a virtual OSX machine... Its easy enough, just format a USB stick with one GUID partition, restore the installer to the USB stick (you can get the exact command pretty easily - google is your friend)  then run the clover installer and have it put it in the ESP.. (assuming its a UEFI PC), otheriwse install it as legacy.

Result I made the clover boot usb in my VM of lion i had to choose the mbr option and the bios/io mode clover it now boots and i can see the hard discs and able to use the option menu, now i just need to get my head around booting the installer as i have problems getting the usb mouse and ps2 keyboard working

should i now dump my DSDT in ubuntu and patch it or does clover allow the patching of it automatically 

thanks for the replies so far 

Rob