Maverick on ESXi, Opteron Board

58 posts in this topic

The CPUIDs matched, so that wasn't it. There is obviously some instruction being called, but the question is if we change the masks would the apps pick a different code path. I am reading through the patches for Mavericks source code to create an AMD kernel. Maybe find something.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for long delay - work and short holiday took priority. Having done some research I think the FX processors will need an AMD kernel to make them run 32-bit apps. Could you try the following:

1. Take a snapshot in VMware - just in case.

2. Get the kernel from this post by Bronya http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/?p=2052622

3. Copy to the root of VM OS X virtual disk, and reboot

4. Test

Whilst this isn't quite a vanilla environment, it is a fairly simple process as the VM can be created without modifying installation media.

I'm assuming you want me to try that on the Mavericks VM and not the lion one based on the thread and filename. 

EDIT: I tried it on my Lion VM and it did not work. Kernel Panic on boot. I reverted to a previous snapshot.

I'll make another Mavericks VM in a bit to test it. Your instructions didn't mention installing the system.kext that was included. 

I'm assuming you want me to try that on the Mavericks VM and not the lion one based on the thread and filename. 

EDIT: I tried it on my Lion VM and it did not work. Kernel Panic on boot. I reverted to a previous snapshot.

I'll make another Mavericks VM in a bit to test it. Your instructions didn't mention installing the system.kext that was included. 

Yep - Mavericks please. Lions always had trouble with FX CPUs even with AMD kernels. Try the mach_kernel only first.

1. Installed Mavericks 10.9 from a DMG 
  2. Updated 10.9.4 via App Store
  3. Downloaded the Bronya kernel
  4. Downloed Google chrome via safari 
  5. Tested google chrome (32bit app) and it crashed
  6. Downloaded Bronya's Kernel
  7. Took snapshot 
  8. launched terminal and type

sudo -s
    	cd /
    	mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.old
    	cp /Volumes/Machintosh\ HD/Users/kwiksilver/Download/mach_10_9_4_rc2/mach_kernel /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/mach kernel
    	ls -la      (this is used to verify the permissions of the mach_kernel and mach_kernel.old are the same, if they are not you may need to repair permissions)
    	reboot
  9. Machine boots up
  10. Launch Chrome and it works!

Now I need to install vmware tools and verify that it works.

Thank you for this Donk (and Bronya)! This works beautifully. No system.kext needed. 

To clarify, I'll likely need a new kernel every time a new system update comes (10.9.5, 10.9.6, etc) out right? 

EDIT: VMware tools kills it. It appears to boot fully in verbose mode, I'll have to screencap a video to check for errors. Once it gets to where you see cursor, you see a black screen for a few seconds, the cursor is there and it beachballs and then it kernel panics and reboots. I think I saw the ? vmwarectl.kext ?

• 1 year later...

May I ask, what was the latest status of this? I was planning to get a MacOS image running on ESXi 6.0.0 but all attempts have failed so far. How do you even install 10.9 at the beginning, how did you configure the virtual machine and stuff?

On my System, I can just get it to the apple logo on grey background but that was it.​ Do you need a modified kernel right from the start or other extensions?