R9 280x help with Mavericks

llamafilm

4 posts in this topic

I just put an MSI 6GB R9 280x in my (real) Mac Pro 5,1, and it won't boot.  It just shows a black screen forever.  The boot disk is running 10.9.2.  Previously I had a GTX 570, which worked great (sans boot screen of course).

If I swap the boot disk for one running 10.8.5, it boots fine, but OpenCL apps don't work right, like DaVinci Resolve and RedCine-X Pro.

What could be causing this?  I've read of other people using this card in Mavericks just fine.  Could it be power-related?  I don't think so.  I'm using an 8 to 6 pin adapter, but the wattage is well within safe limits when measured with iStatMenus on the 10.8 system.

Can't answer your question sadly, but just wanted to point out I run two MSI 280x Gaming 3 Gb a hackintosh, and they worked 100% out of the box - no settings needed changing, and OpenCL, QE/CI etc worked fine. Maybe a problem with the 6 GB version BIOS. It should have the dual bios switch, you can always try flashing a 3 GB bios and see if it works, although you'd probably only have access to part of the memory.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the fact that you used a real Mac Pro. It is my understanding that you need apple compatible bios versions for the card for them to boot, as Slice points out. Not sure where to get one (or if they exist) for 280x.