Dual GTX780 Config Makes Lights Flicker in House

joechiazza

3 posts in this topic

When I'm working in Davinci resolve coloring 4k footage, pushing my computer system to the max, the lights in my room start to flicker.  Almost like when the Air Conditioner kicks on, they dim for a sec.  Only this is constant, at the same pace as the amount its rendering.  Long story short, it seems like the computer is drawing too much power for the circuit...I'm not sure what the severity of the issue is...Is my house going to blow up? Is my computer hardware in danger of surges?  Or is this pretty common? 

Here is a video of the issue so you can see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmDOx8f4qk

Computer Specs

CPU: i7 4390k 3.5@4.3ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Mobo: GA-x79-UP4

GPU1: Nvidia GTX780

GPU2: Nvidia GTX780

Hard Drive Array: 4x2gb 7200rpm software RAID0 

System and Scratch Drive: 2x 512 ssd’s, not raided

Case Fans:9

Power Supply: Corsair tx750

Here are my ideas to fix it:

Option A:  Get a bigger PSU, maybe 1000w...The thought is that maybe I'm pushing the 750 to far and its causing spikes. 

Option D: Have an electrician come over and fix the house.

Option E:  It's normal don't worry about it and just continue on.

Your computer is so badass, it makes the lights flicker. Now that's something to be proud of!

750W does sound a little low for that setup. I'd say it certainly wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side and get a solid 1000W+ PSU.

But the flickering lights would be related to your home wiring. If turning the AC on causes the same thing... well there's your proof. Get an electrician's opinion.