OS X on Optiplex GX620

DvdX

4 posts in this topic

I have tried installing 10.6.3 on my Optiplex GX620 with no success.....plus its kind of an old version.  Is there any way to install Lion, Mountain Lion or even Mavericks on this model computer?  I have retail versions of all of these OS's

• 7 months later...

I have tried installing 10.6.3 on my Optiplex GX620 with no success.....plus its kind of an old version.  Is there any way to install Lion, Mountain Lion or even Mavericks on this model computer?  I have retail versions of all of these OS's

I am pretty sure that 10.6.8 is about all a GX620 can do unless you put in a video card.

Did you try this tutorial?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/275293-guide-1068-on-a-dell-optiplex-gx620/?hl=%20gx620

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have Mavericks on Dell Optiplex gx620. It works well. Not so good for gaming though, so I recommend dual booting if you like to play video games. In addition, you should use a PCIx video card, and a PCi sound card. I found a soundblaster live in my Garage, and found the drivers for it. If there is enough interest, I will post instructions, and upload the Kernel and audio drivers. I used Niresh, then upgraded to 10.9.5. I then, using another mac, moved the kernel to the root directory, and it works. I have a Pentium D in my Dell. I actually used the Niresh Iso to boot using Easy BCD in Windows 7. When the computer starts up, I am able to select which Os I want. If your HD is smaller (mine is 750 gigs) you can dual boot using the chameleon bootloader instead of going through Windows and Easy BCD. Niresh's ML 10.8.2 also works without having to mess with the kernel, but takes 2 minutes to boot up. Also ML needs the boot flag, "UseKernelCache=No." In addition, I could not find a kernel that would run 10.8.5 at normal speed. The time clock literally changes minutes every 3 seconds! Mavericks takes around 40 seconds to boot. Not to shabby for an ancient computer! I have yet to try Yosemite, But I suspect that it will work with software update, and then finding a kernel that will boot it.  There are many tutorials for running 10.6.8 on gx620, but it is kind of a pain to find web browsers that work fully. 

I have an MSI N610GT 2G video card. It works OOB on Mavericks, but needs Driver for ML. I have it running to my TV via HDMI. One day, I may get audio working on HDMI, but for now, I have it running on AUX out of the Soundblaster into my Bose sound system. We watch movies and play online video games on it. 

• 4 years later...