[Guide] AIO Guides For Hackintosh

607 posts in this topic

If you use this tool, you can get aDummyHDA + config.plist edits.

Delete the patched AppleHDA + HDA Enabler, just use the vanilla AppleHDA.

Put the patches in you config.plist + the correct Audio codec value.

EDIT: After that, repair the disk permissions and rebuild the disk cache.

Reboot, and done!  :)

Theapp only gave me the Clover patches and a HDAEnabler kext.

I installed the vanilla AppleHDA and the HDA Enabler + the Clover patches

What you suggest is that I remove the HDA Enabler, repair permissions and rebuild caches,keeping the rest of things?

BTW: My layoutid is 3 and injected from DSDT. My sMBIOS is MBP 11,2.

I did all like you said, but it doesn't work,,, aDummy doesn't want to load

post-1517295-0-64244300-1455667825_thumb.png

No output devices yet...

post-1517295-0-27231800-1455667787_thumb.png

Tried tunning the patch-hda.pl and it throws me 

Joes-MacBook-Pro:patch-hda joe$ ./patch-hda.pl -x 10ec0233

OSX version 10.11.3 detected

Default target codec: 10ec0233 detected.

Couldn't find a codec map to apply for '10ec0233'.

Would you like to try using ADI 1984 (the default) (Y/N)?

What can I do to transform my AppleHDA to Clover on the fly?

NP  ;)

What's the laptop you're using? #1, #2 or #3?

Laptop #1 in signature is the one I most use, and the one all my posts refer to. The others are secondary builds that I work on myself. 

Layoutid 3 , injected through DSDT

Sound working perfectly nice now through speakers and through headphones

:D

post-1517295-0-41826600-1455731084_thumb.png

The only thing that is not working is the Internal Microphone, that works with the custom AppleHDA I attached earlier.

Thanks a lot Allan!

post-1517295-0-38425900-1455731188_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I thought I might clarify a few aspects of MLB and ROM which might be confusing for people who have read the misleading/incomplete description in the Clover Wiki.

• MLB and ROM are NOT deprecated and in fact crucial to activate iMessage/Facetime (confirmation in post #5979 Clover General Discussion from Slice).  For Clover, the proper place to enter these serials is in the RtVariables section of config.plist.  However if you omit to specify them in RtVariables, Clover automatically injects MLB from the BoardSerialNumber entry and ROM from the last 12 characters of the SmUUID entry.
  • MLB is the “Main Logic Board” serial number of a Mac and is 17 characters long for current models.  Older Macs can have shorter MLBs eg Mid 2010 MBP 6,2 has 13 character MLB and is still valid.
  • ROM corresponds to the Mac’s firewire MAC address (with two middle bytes removed if present - confirmed for Late 2012 Mac Mini, Mid 2010 MBP 6,2), or its the ethernet mac address ——>12 characters long.  The first 6 characters are a generic "Apple" prefix code, while the last 6 characters are unique to the system.
  • On a real Mac, both variables are stored in the machine's firmware NVRAM (non volatile RAM) and work as a pair.
  • The MLB value on a real Mac has no direct relation to its System Serial - Pattern of MLB.  The old method of generating an MLB - adding 5 random characters to the 12 character system serial - is wrong and fails Apple's recent syntax checking ---> iMessage login failure (mid Nov 2014).
  • For activation to be successful, the MLB/ROM combination must be registered on Apple’s servers.  This is obviously true for MLB/ROM obtained from real Macs but the generated values from hacks aren’t - hence the need to contact Apple support and provide them with the customer support error code to validate/register fake serials ---> placed on a "whitelist".
  • It's possible to use the MLB & ROM from a Mac that is a completely different model to the SMBIOS that you're using in your hack eg you can take the MLB/ROM from a MBP and place it in a hack that's using an iMac SMBIOS ---> sleep/power management and other functions of the hack will remain unaffected.  If the hack keeps on using an iMac system serial, it will still be identified as an iMac in the "about" system profile and you can still use your hack and real Mac at the same time to access iMessage. Update 29/12/14: New system-id block introduced by Apple to prevent multiple machines logging into iMessage at the same time with the same MLB/ROM.  Try not to have more than one machine connected to the internet and logged into iMessage/FT at the same time if they share MLB/ROM.
  • The ROM value can be entered into the config.plist EITHER as a string or data.  If entered as data value, the output from imessage_debug (which is in the form of 6 hexadecimal bytes) must be converted into BASE64 format first.  If it is entered as a string value, it can be directly copied from imessage_debug in hexadecimal format (no conversion to Base64 required)

e.g. Say you get the following output after running iMessage_debugV2 on your "donor" Mac/Apple Support Validated Hack

**********************iMessage Debug**********************
Credits: ElNono, mdmwii,flux84, sugarface, pokenguyen

Model: iMac11,3
           Board-id: Mac-F2238BAE
       SerialNumber: CK120U13DB6
      Hardware UUID: 24A86654-2EBB-5998-A85E-266C65CD7005

System-ID: A8DD17A0-CF10-4323-9841-29A9F08C1D49
                ROM: 6C3E6D1129f2
  BoardSerialNumber: CK118014DJN1G

Gq3489ugfi: d8c15ff0e78ee6403706e44dfe02bcde8d
          Fyp98tpgj: f55f3cfc3b3a06b8c36c8e3f4585dd39e1
         kbjfrfpoJU: b564e0c349a48929eba1c85fd18faf47b9
       oycqAZloTNDm: 88d06b7b2d2161b45715fe5a3a952de44b
       abKPld1EcMni: 130d938e2277b7bc01f04dd8e25ce8e028

Using an online calculator to convert the ROM value, 6C3E6D1129f2 (Hex) = bD5tESny (Base64)

So on your "recipient" hack, you can enter in the RtVariables section of Clover's config.plist

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
	<key>MLB</key>
	<string>CK118014DJN1G</string>
	<key>ROM</key>
	<data>bD5tESny</data>
</dict>

OR

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
	<key>MLB</key>
	<string>CK118014DJN1G</string>
	<key>ROM</key>
	<string>6C3E6D1129f2</string>
</dict>

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With regard to the risk in "sharing serials" - some common sense is required. Updated recommendations 1/2/15.

u are the man... I was trying to find a method to come up w/ generic numbers, my savior

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of disk partitioning guides that you can link to if you want :).

IMHO, the best tool for manipulating GPT drives is GPT FDisk, aka "GDisk". OSX Disk Utility sometimes causes issues when preparing a drive for dual booting.

I) How to convert a hybrid MBR drive to GPT

An annoying error that can happen when you are trying to install UEFI Windows alongside OSX is that the Windows installer complains

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

This usually occurs when you use Disk Utility in OSX to add a FAT partition for Windows ---> creates a hybrid MBR since it thinks you are trying to install legacy Windows on a bootcamp partition. You may also have a hybrid MBR drive if you use Chameleon to dual boot legacy Windows and OSX.

The simple fix is to use GDisk to write a protective MBR ---> restore hard drive to full GPT

Procedure from this post:

1. Download GPT fdisk from its Sourceforge page and install it.

2. Launch gdisk on your disk by typing sudo gdisk /dev/diskX in a Terminal window (X=disk number of the hybrid MBR disk).

3. Type p to view the partition table to verify you're working on the correct disk. If not, type q to quit without saving your changes and try again with another device.

4. Type x to enter the experts' menu.

5. Type n to create a fresh protective MBR. Note that gdisk won't confirm a change; it'll just show you a new experts' prompt.

6. Type w to save your changes. You'll be asked to confirm this action. Do so.

Eg Here, we are trying to change disk1 from hybrid MBR to protective MBR/full GPT:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Mavericks 124.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Reserved 134.2 MB disk0s4

5: Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA 249.8 GB disk0s5

6: Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64 125.0 GB disk0s6

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.6 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN 7.8 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS OSX 7.3 GB disk1s3

sudo gdisk /dev/disk1

Password:

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:

MBR: hybrid

BSD: not present

APM: not present

GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): ?

b back up GPT data to a file

c change a partition's name

d delete a partition

i show detailed information on a partition

l list known partition types

n add a new partition

o create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)

p print the partition table

q quit without saving changes

r recovery and transformation options (experts only)

s sort partitions

t change a partition's type code

v verify disk

w write table to disk and exit

x extra functionality (experts only)

? print this menu

Command (? for help): p

Disk /dev/disk1: 30517247 sectors, 14.6 GiB

Logical sector size: 512 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 543691AD-F4B3-4C7B-B620-437E5ADA296D

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 30517213

Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries

Total free space is 524300 sectors (256.0 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 40 409639 200.0 MiB EF00 EFI System Partition

2 409640 15668263 7.3 GiB 0700 WIN

3 15930408 30255063 6.8 GiB AF00 OSX

Command (? for help): ?: x

Expert command (? for help): ?

a set attributes

c change partition GUID

d display the sector alignment value

e relocate backup data structures to the end of the disk

g change disk GUID

h recompute CHS values in protective/hybrid MBR

i show detailed information on a partition

l set the sector alignment value

m return to main menu

n create a new protective MBR

o print protective MBR data

p print the partition table

q quit without saving changes

r recovery and transformation options (experts only)

s resize partition table

t transpose two partition table entries

u Replicate partition table on new device

v verify disk

w write table to disk and exit

z zap (destroy) GPT data structures and exit

? print this menu

Expert command (? for help): n

Expert command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING

PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): y

With any luck this will fix the problem. If it doesn't, though, you can use gdisk's v option (on any menu) to have gdisk look for partition table problems. It can fix some minor problems automatically, but other times you'll need to make explicit changes. See the GPT fdisk documentation on GPT repairs for details:

Command (? for help): v

No problems found. 524300 free sectors (256.0 MiB) available in 3

segments, the largest of which is 262150 (128.0 MiB) in size.

Hi fusion,

Awesome post, as usual. However, I've got some issues trying to apply it. I've got a full HDD formatted as GPT. And I want to put Windows on it, using Boot Camp, so I can use both Mac and Windows, side by side.

So I made a USB drive, with Boot Camp. BUT I can't use it. When trying to boot from it using Clover, I get two bootable drives.Selecting one of them will show "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD", whereas the other won't to anything. The problem is that if I press Enter for example as "any key", the screen freezes, and after a while, it goes into restart.

The only way I found so far to get into the Windows installer, is to let Boot Camp select the partition I want to use for Windows, and it will automatically boot into it, after restart.

The problem with that is that I get to your error described in that post when trying to select a partition for installation.

Now, I used gdisk to see what's wrong. And apparently there is nothing wrong with the partition I want to put Windows onto. BUT the USB drive I used to write the Windows iso onto gets the following message:

Partition table scan:

MBR: MBR only

GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format

in memory. THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by

typing 'q' if you don't want to convert your MBR partitions

to GPT format!

Warning! Main partition table overlaps the first partition by 32 blocks!

You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.

Warning! Secondary partition table overlaps the last partition by

33 blocks!

You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.

Command (? for help):

I tried following instructions to just create a fresh new protective MBR. But I got the same warnings, saying that I have to delete the partition using another tool... (WHICH TOOL?)

Can hacks even run Boot Camp?

@arsradu,

I don't recommend using bootcamp to create your Windows installer since it automatically assumes you want to install legacy Windows on a hybrid MBR/GPT disk and Clover works best with UEFI Windows.

Try reformatting your USB (in Windows, you can start diskpart.exe and use the "clean command") and create a UEFI Windows 10 installer as in this guide:

[Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 and Clover - Legacy or UEFI

Steps 5 and 6 are optional if you already have Clover installed on your hard disk (just boot to bootmgfw.efi through Clover on the hard disk instead of the USB).

Good Luck!

• Like 1

@arsradu,

I don't recommend using bootcamp to create your Windows installer since it automatically assumes you want to install legacy Windows on a hybrid MBR/GPT disk and Clover works best with UEFI Windows.

Try reformatting your USB (in Windows, you can start diskpart.exe and use the "clean command") and create a UEFI Windows 10 installer as in this guide:

Steps 5 and 6 are optional if you already have Clover installed on your hard disk (just boot to bootmgfw.efi through Clover on the hard disk instead of the USB).

Good Luck!

Well my friend I have a story of success with Bootcamp .. It creates awesomely fast EFI Windows USBs.. You just have to cancel it when it starts "Downloading Windows support software" because it gets stuck there, but you can safely cancel the progress without worries, the USB will be ready with the Windows EFI install media..

I have installed Win 10 and 8 successfully on several computers in pure UEFI mode in an Apple OS X created pure GPT HDDs and SSDs thanks to USBs created using patched Boot Camp assistant.

After you created the USB you should boot the USB directly from System Setup, that meaning "BIOS" ... Best results if not booting BootCamp Windows EFI USB from Clover. Do it from System Setup (the so called BIOS).

If you are using Clover legacy then you can boot without problems the EFI USB created by bootcamp, directly from Clover, because your non-UEFI BIOS will not be able to read your GPT formatted EFI Bootcamp Windows USB

Best wishes of hapinness and luck

@arsradu,

Good Luck!

Hi fusion, 

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Well...I sort of got it working. The goal was to install and use Windows inside OS X. So that I don't need to boot back into Windows every time I want to use a specific software that has no version for OS X. I had Windows 10 installed on a separate HDD. So..I was already having a multi-boot setup, with Clover as boot manager, installed only on my OS X SSD.

So...I thought I would use Boot Camp as a step towards that. After that, I realized I also need Parallels for that. So, I got that too. The problem is in the meantime I got Windows 10 installed back on the HDD, natively, as it was before. And, since Parallels can't use my already created Windows partition and work on that, and since I don't have a BootCamp partition either, I chose to install Windows again, but this time inside Parallels. So now I got what I wanted, but I also got Windows installed twice. Once as a standalone OS, and once in virtual machine. Which is not ideal. But I guess I'll have to work with it as it is.

Well my friend I have a story of success with Bootcamp .. It creates awesomely fast EFI Windows USBs.. You just have to cancel it when it starts "Downloading Windows support software" because it gets stuck there, but you can safely cancel the progress without worries, the USB will be ready with the Windows EFI install media..

I have installed Win 10 and 8 successfully on several computers in pure UEFI mode in an Apple OS X created pure GPT HDDs and SSDs thanks to USBs created using patched Boot Camp assistant.

After you created the USB you should boot the USB directly from System Setup, that meaning "BIOS" ... Best results if not booting BootCamp Windows EFI USB from Clover. Do it from System Setup (the so called BIOS).

If you are using Clover legacy then you can boot without problems the EFI USB created by bootcamp, directly from Clover, because your non-UEFI BIOS will not be able to read your GPT formatted EFI Bootcamp Windows USB

Best wishes of hapinness and luck

About Boot Camp. It doesn't get stuck anywhere, in my case. And it boots right into the Windows installer, after finishing configuring my USB drive and rebooting.

Main problem there, is that, once I get to the partitioning step of Windows installer, i can't get passed that, due to that annoying error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.".

The  HDD I'm trying to install Windows onto, is a full GPT one (checked with gdisk). The USB drive however, before installing Windows with Boot Camp on it, it's also a Full GPT. After that, it becomes "invalid", as I showed you above.

Whether or not this is the reason why Windows won't allow me to even CREATE a new partition, always showing the same error, that's to be discussed. I have no idea.

I guess that could be the reason why Clover can't boot the USB drive? Is it because it's not "full UEFI"? Cause if so...then Apple needs to figure out a way to install UEFI Windows on a USB drive.

Can I reinstall Clover on the USB drive now? Would that fix the problem?

To be honest, I don't even know what to do now. I already got Windows installed...twice. :)) And none of them can be used as Boot Camp drives. I thought that using Parallels with Windows installed as Boot Camp drive, would save me from having to install Window twice. So that I can only have Windows for Parallels, and not as standalone system, as well. Since I don't really need it for gaming. So...don't really need it as standalone. And with Parallels, the softwares I need can run pretty damn well. I'm actually surprised how well it works, considering it's a VM. So..what would you guys advice? Fix the USB drive installation and reinstall Windows as Boot Camp drive, so I can use it in cooperation with Parallels? Oooor keep it as it is, inside Parallels and maybe remove the standalone Windows? What would you do?

• Like 1

@arsradu,

IMHO, I would just keep things as they are.  

With disk storage becoming larger and cheaper, I can't see much point deleting either of your Windows installations (virtualised or real)  :).

Parallels is a virtualised solution so while it provides greater convenience being able to run Windows within OSX, it will never have the ultimate speed of running Windows natively on real hardware eg if you want to play games.

PS

There is nothing really "magical" or "special" about the bootcamp partition or the bootcamp process.  The assistant

1.  Makes an MBR Windows USB installer with Mac drivers (so not really helpful on hacks) and

2.  Makes room on the disk for a FAT partition (simultaneously converting the GPT to hybrid MBR/GPT) to enable Windows to be installed in legacy mode. *

Eg here is the partition layout of the disks on my Mac Mini 2012:

fusion71aus-Mac-mini:~ fusion71au$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh SSD           30.2 GB    disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP		 97.0 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            119.5 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data DATA                    815.4 GB   disk1s4
   5:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk1s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN10 		          64.3 GB   disk1s6
fusion71aus-Mac-mini:~ fusion71au$ sudo gdisk /dev/disk0
Password:

Partition table scan:
  MBR: hybrid

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): ?
b	back up GPT data to a file
c	change a partition's name
d	delete a partition
i	show detailed information on a partition
l	list known partition types
n	add a new partition
o	create a new empty GUID partition table (GPT)
p	print the partition table
q	quit without saving changes
r	recovery and transformation options (experts only)
s	sort partitions
t	change a partition's type code
v	verify disk
w	write table to disk and exit
x	extra functionality (experts only)
?	print this menu

Disk /dev/disk0: 250069680 sectors, 119.2 GiB
Disk identifier (GUID): C3F7EA18-6039-46EA-B5C6-6E9053F9D24B
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 250069646
Total free space is 845 sectors (422.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640        59346983   28.1 GiB    AF00  Macintosh SSD
   3        59346984        60616519   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD
   4        60616704       250068991   90.3 GiB    0700  BOOTCAMP

Command (? for help): q

fusion71aus-Mac-mini:~ fusion71au$ sudo gdisk /dev/disk1

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Disk /dev/disk1: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
Disk identifier (GUID): 18055FFB-F37A-4459-A515-2647997737A1
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
Total free space is 1429 sectors (714.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640       233787615   111.3 GiB   AF00  Mac HD
   3       233787616       235057151   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD
   4       235057152      1827692543   759.4 GiB   0700  DATA
   5      1827692544      1827954687   128.0 MiB   0C01  Microsoft reserved part
   6      1827954688      1953523711   59.9 GiB    0700  WIN10

Command (? for help): q

Notes

• disk0 with hybrid MBR/GPT was prepared with the bootcamp assistant (legacy Windows 7 on disk0s4)
  • disk1 with protective MBR/GPT was manually prepared and has UEFI Windows 10 installed on disk1s6.

If you want to go the bootcamp route on your hack, enable legacy mode booting in your BIOS and boot directly to your MBR Windows USB installer (instead of through Clover).  By booting in legacy mode, it will enable you to install legacy Windows on the hybrid MBR/GPT disk's FAT partition.

If you later want to boot this legacy Windows installation with Clover, you can install UEFI boot files on the NTFS partition using bcdboot.exe - see post#3

Good Luck :) !

* Interestingly, the behaviour of the bootcamp software seems to differ depending on the Mac Model/SMBIOS its used on - refer macrumors forum post and twocanoes blog.  It seems that for newer models eg 2013 MBA & afterwards, the disk is partitioned for UEFI Windows (8, 8.1, 10 but not 7) without hybrid MBR.  For older models Macs (2012 and earlier), the disk is partitioned for legacy Windows and automatically includes an hybrid MBR.

This would explain the behaviour observed by @kosakgroove.

• Like 1

@fusion71au

Everything is a lot clearer now, thanks to you.

I don't really need the Windows standalone installation for gaming. Since I'm not a gamer. BUT I will keep it for while, just to see if I have any real need for it as it is. Space is not a problem, but I don't like the idea of keeping it occupied with stuff I don't really need or use. As I said, Parallels works better than I would have imagined (better than Windows alternatives, that's for sure). And since I'm not gonna game on it, I might be ok using it as it is.

But, as I said, we'll see how it goes.

Right now, I'm happy that:

• I understood why Clover doesn't boot the USB drive made in Boot Camp
  • I understood why I get errors upon Windows installation.
  • I achieved my goal to run Windows inside OS X.

So I would say these have been some pretty good days for science. :)

Thanks, fusion!

I learn something new from you guys every day. Much appreciated! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK @ Everyone, there is this AppleALC which I really like (here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-%E2%80%94-dynamic-applehda-patching/ )

Easy install and works with many (still incomplete) codecs.

Download the kext, copy it under Clover > Kexts > Other (or OS X version), then add the correct Audio Layout (Inject) in clover config.plist, reboot ==> you get sound :)

Here is how to know your codec's Layout: 

Check here if it's supported and its layout(s): https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

If yes but has many layouts:

Open the kext (Show Package Contents), go to Plugins > Open PinConfig.kext > open the Info.plist, look for your codec name (IDTXXXX - ALCXXX - CXXXXX or something like that, check how many layouts it has and check the layout that has the PinConfig you're using. Example: ALC269 has many versions (12 revisions) and so different PinConfigs, so you open the Info.plist of PinConfig.kext and look for all ALC269, and check the assigned patch name (like VC v1 VB v1 or ASUS...) and look for the one that you use, I use VC v1 for example and it has layout 6, VC v2 has layout 7, and so on (it's not in that order btw). You type then in the config.plist the correct layout and reboot.

That's it! Hope anyone with a missing codec ask in that thread to add it and maintain this project :)

• Like 1

OK @ Everyone, there is this AppleALC which I really like (here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-%E2%80%94-dynamic-applehda-patching/ )

Easy install and works with many (still incomplete) codecs.

Download the kext, copy it under Clover > Kexts > Other (or OS X version), then add the correct Audio Layout (Inject) in clover config.plist, reboot ==> you get sound :)

Here is how to know your codec's Layout: 

Check here if it's supported and its layout(s): https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

If yes but has many layouts:

Open the kext (Show Package Contents), go to Plugins > Open PinConfig.kext > open the Info.plist, look for your codec name (IDTXXXX - ALCXXX - CXXXXX or something like that, check how many layouts it has and check the layout that has the PinConfig you're using. Example: ALC269 has many versions (12 revisions) and so different PinConfigs, so you open the Info.plist of PinConfig.kext and look for all ALC269, and check the assigned patch name (like VC v1 VB v1 or ASUS...) and look for the one that you use, I use VC v1 for example and it has layout 6, VC v2 has layout 7, and so on (it's not in that order btw). You type then in the config.plist the correct layout and reboot.

That's it! Hope anyone with a missing codec ask in that thread to add it and maintain this project :)

Are they putting the name of the codecs in the info.plist ( e.g ALC269 or 270 )? If so then I will take a look into it

• 1 month later...

The right hardware for your Hackintosh

Here are some useful information when buying a laptop or building a Hackintosh, or probably been asking yourself “Is my PC fully support or what ?”. The GPU is considered the most important part of the Hackintosh ( if it can’t work you can’t see the screen or the animation’s laggy as hell ).

CPU

All CPUs starting from Intel Core 2 Duo up to now (Haswell) is supported, except for Pentium Haswell, it’s reported as not compatible with Mavericks. Be careful when buying these CPUs.

Most AMD CPUs are supported thanks to the modded kernel allowing AMD CPUs to run OS X, more info can be found here. Note that Intel Pentium D and some unsupported Intel CPU can use this AMD kernel as well.

Integrated GPU (iGPU)

With Mavericks, these iGPUs are native support:

• Intel HD Graphics on 1st Generation Intel Core i Processor (Arrandale, need some kexts modding )
  • Intel HD 3000 on 2nd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Sandy Bridge )
  • Intel HD 4000 on 3rd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Ivy Bridge )
  • Intel HD 4400 (laptop only) /4600/5000/Iris on 4th Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Haswell )

Please note that desktop HD4000 and above only works with QE/CI if you connect by DVI/HDMI/DP ports, no QE/CI on VGA port!

These iGPUs are not supported by OS X Mavericks:

• Intel MHD4500/X3100 and earlier
  • Intel HD Graphics on 2nd Generation Intel Pentium/Celeron and later
  • Intel HD 2000
  • Intel HD 2500 (Rarely works)
  • Intel HD 4400 Desktop (Rarely works)

Discrete GPU

Please note that laptops with AMD Switchable Graphics or nVidia Optimus with both Intel HD + AMD/nVidia card will only be able to use Intel HD, unless you have the option to turn off Intel HD in BIOS.

These GPUs are supported (the list may be incompleted or not correct at some points, please inform me about the GPU that works for you but not on the list or the one not works):

• nVidia 7000 Series
  • nVidia 8000 Series
  • nVidia 9000 Series
  • nVidia GT 200 Series
  • nVidia GT 400 Series
  • nVidia GT 500 Series
  • nVidia GT 600 Series
  • nVidia GT 700 Series ( stay away from the GTX 750 and GTX 750Ti which use the new Maxwell architecture which hasn’t been confirmed working or not )
  • nVidia GTX Titan ( the Z version hasn’t been tested yet )
  • nVidia Quadro 4000
  • nVidia GT 520M, 540M and 630M ( laptop with discrete GPUs )
  • nVidia GTX 675M, 760M, 765M, 770M
  • nVidia NVS 5200M
  • nVidia Quadro 1000M, 2000M
  • AMD 4000 Series
  • AMD 5000 Series
  • AMD 6600, 6700, 6800 Series
  • AMD 7750, 7770, 7870, 7950, 7970
  • AMD R7-200 R9-200 Series ( supported on OS X 10.10)
  • AMD 4650M, 5470M, 7650M

These GPUs are not supported (the list may be incompleted or not correct at some points , please inform me about the GPU that didn’t works for you but not on the list or the one works):

• AMD 6400 Series
  • AMD 6500 Series
  • AMD 6900 Series
  •  

Note that laptops that use CPU ES (Engineering Sample) or use Samsung panel can’t enable QE/CI.

RAM

The minimum requirements for Mavericks is 2Gb of RAM, 4GB is enough to run things smoothly. If you want to run virtual machines or multiple softwares, 8GB of RAM or more is recommended.

Audio

Most audio codecs as of now is supported through VoodooHDA, but the sound can be not so nice comparing to Windows. We can patch AppleHDA to overcome VoodooHDA’s weakness (need advance techniques). Most of codecs that can be patched, except some stubborn chipset.

If you need high quality audio, it's best to buy a Mac-compatible DAC or soundcard.

Ethernet

Most ethernet chips are supported except for these:

• Realtek 8169 (Random kernel panic)
  • Ethernet Killer (Only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable)

Wireless card

A pain for laptop users is that most built-in wireless cards aren’t supported. You can always find and replace your unsupported one.

Here is the list of supported and unsupported card ( Yellow means work with WifiInjector kext, Green means work OOB, red means unsupported, HMB cards are cards also have Bluetooth )

Or you can use a wifi dongle which is supported by OS X, but it also has downsides like battery draining, weak signal or causing sleep issues.

Hackintoshes can be made with Skylake CPUs, the only caveat being they have to identify as the latest iMacs because the iMac is currently the only legitimate Mac to use Skylake CPUs. Also, it’s not entirely accurate that only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable in OS X instead of newer versions. You can actually use the Atheros E2400: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300056-solution-for-qualcomm-atheros-ar816x-ar817x-and-killer-e220x/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2192549

Edited by Allan
Spoiler tag added