Lenovo g510 compatibility with Mavericks 10.9.2

eid_ot_evil

19 posts in this topic

Hello hackintoshers,

Having bought a Lenovo g510 some while ago, and searching around for guides how to make Mavericks 10.9.2 work on it, I decided to start this topic so I can get the right information together on how to make Mavericks fully running on the specific machine. Help me create a comprehensive guide.

Ok, so let's start. First of all I will post the specs of my machine for the background information, and then I'll be going into the steps I have followed in order to get where I'm now.

Specs:

Processor: i5-4200 2,50 Ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Graphics: Intel 4600 (integrated) & AMD HD8570m (dedicated) (switchable graphics)

HDD: 1TB SATA

Wi-fi: BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (Broadcom)

Ethernet: QCA8172 (Qualcomm Atheros)

What I have accomplished so far:

1. I created a usb drive using myhack (downloaded Mavericks from the App Store), and having a Haswell processor, I had to apply the Haswell patch (you will find the related topic here)(this will stop your pc from rebooting every time you are trying to load the Mavericks installation). Optionally if you are going to use an MBR partition table you will have to patch the myhack usb drive with the MBR patch because for some reason the myhack MBR patching doesn't work (find the patch here).

2. I installed Mavericks on my hard drive without any problems. Take note that UEFI must be switched off through the BIOS, and that you also need to switch the switchable graphics to UMA graphics (also in the BIOS) because otherwise the Mavericks install will not start.

3. When I finished the installation, after the system restarts, I had to boot from the usb drive again in order to copy the mach_kernel file from the usb drive to the fresh installation through the terminal (cp "/Volumes/<myhack usb drive>/mach_kernel" "/Volumes/<fresh Mavericks install>").

4. Restart and boot into the fresh installation with -x boot flag because it won't boot into Mavericks any other way (as people have told me this has probably to do with grahpics drivers, but we will get to that later on). Finishing with the final settings.

5. Once inside, what was the most important thing for me was to get the ethernet working. ALXEthernet driver will do for that (you can find it here, but it would be a good idea to save the file to the usb drive in a new folder, together with a kext installer such as ikext (here), so you can install the ALXEthernet kext right away).

6. Now starts the epic search for drivers for making the rest of the hardware work.

What works:

Ethernet, webcam, keyboard and touchpad (for the touchpad get rehab's voodoo driver here) and sound (get the voodooHDA driver here)

What does not work (yet):

wi-fi, bluetooth, card reader, switchable graphics (or dedicated graphics at least)

Please help me out. The issues that need to be fixed is that I can't run Mavericks without -x boot flag, and the hardware listed above as not working (look at specs for specification of what hardware my machine is using).

Any further progress will be added to this first post after verification that it really works so that there will be a comprehensive guide for installing Mavericks 10.9.2 on the Lenovo g510.

Thanks.

• Like 4

Which bootloader you are using ?

I also have Lenovo G510. with i3-4000M Haswell and 6GB RAM. 

I am using Clover Bootloader and GPT Partition scheme. 

I have managed to make the QE/CI work. and also without -x flag.

But for sound, I had to use VoodooHDA, Because I was not able to get AppleHDA working. There is a little difference in quality although.

Built-in WiFi is Atheros AR9565 Didnt worked for me. Instead I installed Horndis and used my Android phone with USB Tethering for the Internet. I will purchase an external WiFi USB Device shortly. 

Have you checked the Device ID / Vendor ID of you WiFi card on http://olarila.com/kexts/ ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed most problems. sound's working with VoodooHDA, webcam and usb working out of the box, external mouse working, qe/ci working with IntelAzul=12 boot flag (for the graphical user interface of the OS), I still need to get my trackpad to work and my card reader although I could live without since I have an external card reader, but it would be great to get that fixed as well. Still need to find a way around the wi-fi, and the switchable graphics (so I can use the AMD HD8570m). What else... keyboard working fine, I had to repair permissions with kext wizard in order to stop my laptop from crashing, I'm using Chameleon boot loader at the moment but want to step over to clover (still not really into risking it cause it will take me time to refis the whole OS with kexts and stuff). Perhaps in the near future, God willing. So, kexts I have used include VoodooHDAv284 for sound, ALXEthernet for ethernet, everything else works out of the box, kind of. I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Peace.

I am using Clover. AND I am using GUID Partition Table. Clover is an excellent bootloader and the system boots up in a flash with Clover. When I was using Chameleon it took a bit of time. Regarding the Trackpad, I am using the Rehabman Voodoo PS 2 Controller, and it works excellent. 

Regarding the Graphics, I had to use this String in Clover:

<key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0x0A260005</string>
Basically it is more or less the same thing that you have done with IntelAzul, it is just the difference of Bootloader.

And regarding the WiFi, you are lucky enough that you have a BCM Card. I have Atheros. It is not supported at all :-(

I am using Clover. AND I am using GUID Partition Table. Clover is an excellent bootloader and the system boots up in a flash with Clover. When I was using Chameleon it took a bit of time. Regarding the Trackpad, I am using the Rehabman Voodoo PS 2 Controller, and it works excellent. 

Regarding the Graphics, I had to use this String in Clover:

<key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0x0A260005</string>
Basically it is more or less the same thing that you have done with IntelAzul, it is just the difference of Bootloader.

And regarding the WiFi, you are lucky enough that you have a BCM Card. I have Atheros. It is not supported at all :-(

Areeb, can you give us a more detailed description of how you got clover to work? I want to install clover but usually I get stuck with a couple of issues, so it would be great to know for example what options to put into the installer, and what to do next in order to get it working. Thanks in advance  :)

2. I installed Mavericks on my hard drive without any problems. Take note that UEFI must be switched off through the BIOS, and that you also need to switch the switchable graphics to UMA graphics (also in the BIOS) because otherwise the Mavericks install will not start.

I've been struggling with a g510 for a whlie and this was the first real info on Hackintoshing one.  How did you get the UMA graphics in the BIOS?  I can't seem to find that at all!

Any luck getting Wi–fi on there?

I've been struggling with a g510 for a whlie and this was the first real info on Hackintoshing one.  How did you get the UMA graphics in the BIOS?  I can't seem to find that at all!

Any luck getting Wi–fi on there?

I have no luck with the wifi yet, but I'll keep trying to find a solution for it. Regarding the UMA graphics option, I have attached a picture with my bios settings if you find it useful. First thing I'd ask you is if you have updated the bios yet (although I don't remember if there was any big difference with the old one), if you have you should find it under configurations>graphics device.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpboabdw4yvge1t/IMG_1945.JPG (click on the url for the image)

• 1 month later...

Ok. So i have decided to go ahead and Hackintosh my G510. Its an i5 4200M with Intel HD4600 and HM86 chipset.

So far its been a pain. Rehab's patch did not work for me and got a KP. Not trying to get a Clover USB up. Still not clear as to which configuration options to use in it though. Anyone has a link to a guide for this specific G510?

Ok. Tried using myHack and the Haswell patch (xpcm and lapic). UEFI is disabled and BIOS is set to "Legacy Support".

At least it gets running, then panics with a cpu caller error. To fix that, I had to use maxmem=2048 flag (I have 8GB RAM installed). Now the installer is up but wont detect my trackpad. Using a USB mouse for now. So installation is in progress. will update if it gets thru.

EDIT: Applied all recommendations by myHack. and i forgot to plugin the laptop. just died on me x-(

Hello

My advice... just use myhack to make your usb installer, and add patch kernel and lapic kernel patch as you need...

But after when you end OSX installation, don't choose nothing that myhack want that you choose... just reboot system... i'll advice you to make post-installation :)

so latest update: I installed using myHack. I did use the recommendation except the one which was recommended for systems using nVidia card. Everything boots up fine for now. Kexts for ethernet and touchpad work as described by OP.

My only big issue for now is that it won't boot without maxmem=2048 flag. I think thats why it is also running a bit sluggish. And the same flashing problem in Safari and Launcher as described. 

So memory is an issue. Graphics card barely works. WiFi doesn't work.

Alright. I've got a functional hackintosh laptop now. Here's what I did:

1. Configured G510 bios for UEFI only mode and disabled Virtualization (at least for installation)

2. Used Clover to create a bootable Mavericks USB. The main thing here is to get the correct config.plist and the kexts. See my shared folder and follow the instructions for installing Mavericks using Clover (google it up, tons of posts on the net regarding this topic). The main advantage I found, not kernel patching to be done manually and the graphics for HD4600 was up and running right from install. Didn't need special kexts.

3. Remember that Clover takes a long time to install, so set aside an hour at least for the basic install process. Even when the screen says one second remaining, its going to take a lot of time. And dont forget that it reboots about 3 times before the installation is finally done.

The config.plist from my machine should give you all the setting you need. If not, read up on how to take a generic config.plist and customize to your hardware.

4. Troubleshooting for booting:

- Some bluetooth error: Use IntelAzul=12 flag, or use -x for safe mode. At least one of these options should work.

- Some kernel trap or memory error: Use maxmem=2048 or maxmem=4096 (at least for installation)

5. After the install is done and you can boot up from your laptop drive, install the required kexts (ones attached in the link as well as any other you might need)

NOTE: My G510 uses an Elan touchpad. Dont use Rehabman's PS2 controller kext cos it wont work completely (dragging and gestures basically). Use this: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

6. UPDATE: Hackintosh is running well mostly, except for the issue with the wifi dongle noted below. The latest news is I have got battery status! Just use Rehabman's ACPI Battery Driver from the following post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Yup, that should give you a working hackintosh. I added a Kinivo Bluetooth dongle to connect to my stereo and ordered a TP Link WN725N WiFi dongle. Until then, am using Horndis-rel5 (http://joshuawise.com/horndis) for connecting my Samsung Note2 in USB tethering mode for a wifi connection.

UPDATE: So the WN725N V2 usb WiFi does not work too well. My mac has been crashing for some time now and I believe it is due to the dongle. Plus there seems to be instances where it drops the net every now and then. Still exploring

Files needed for Clover:  

http://www.4shared.com/folder/fORZn6Nm/Mavericks_G510_Clover_Files.html

My specific G510 model: Lenovo G510/59-398343. Not all G510s are equal.

Here's the main h/w i needed to get configured/kexts for:

Intel HD4600 only (should work with provided config.plist since kexts are available with Mavericks I think). i5 4200M (Haswell, Clover patches kernel automatically). Elan Touchpad (link provided). Realtek audio (used VoodooHDA, had to apply patches for low volume, though not very successful).

WiFi and Bluetooth wont work. Nor will the function keys on the keyboard.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm considering the G510/59-402507 as my first Hackintosh. How has your model held up? Did you ever get the wifi working? I was told I would have to buy a ar9280 wireless card to swap into the system. Otherwise, does everything else work? Or would I be better off with a different setup?

• 6 months later...

Alright. I've got a functional hackintosh laptop now. Here's what I did:

1. Configured G510 bios for UEFI only mode and disabled Virtualization (at least for installation)

2. Used Clover to create a bootable Mavericks USB. The main thing here is to get the correct config.plist and the kexts. See my shared folder and follow the instructions for installing Mavericks using Clover (google it up, tons of posts on the net regarding this topic). The main advantage I found, not kernel patching to be done manually and the graphics for HD4600 was up and running right from install. Didn't need special kexts.

3. Remember that Clover takes a long time to install, so set aside an hour at least for the basic install process. Even when the screen says one second remaining, its going to take a lot of time. And dont forget that it reboots about 3 times before the installation is finally done.

The config.plist from my machine should give you all the setting you need. If not, read up on how to take a generic config.plist and customize to your hardware.

4. Troubleshooting for booting:

- Some bluetooth error: Use IntelAzul=12 flag, or use -x for safe mode. At least one of these options should work.

- Some kernel trap or memory error: Use maxmem=2048 or maxmem=4096 (at least for installation)

5. After the install is done and you can boot up from your laptop drive, install the required kexts (ones attached in the link as well as any other you might need)

NOTE: My G510 uses an Elan touchpad. Dont use Rehabman's PS2 controller kext cos it wont work completely (dragging and gestures basically). Use this: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

6. UPDATE: Hackintosh is running well mostly, except for the issue with the wifi dongle noted below. The latest news is I have got battery status! Just use Rehabman's ACPI Battery Driver from the following post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Yup, that should give you a working hackintosh. I added a Kinivo Bluetooth dongle to connect to my stereo and ordered a TP Link WN725N WiFi dongle. Until then, am using Horndis-rel5 (http://joshuawise.com/horndis) for connecting my Samsung Note2 in USB tethering mode for a wifi connection.

UPDATE: So the WN725N V2 usb WiFi does not work too well. My mac has been crashing for some time now and I believe it is due to the dongle. Plus there seems to be instances where it drops the net every now and then. Still exploring

Files needed for Clover:  

http://www.4shared.com/folder/fORZn6Nm/Mavericks_G510_Clover_Files.html

Here's the main h/w i needed to get configured/kexts for:

Intel HD4600 only (should work with provided config.plist since kexts are available with Mavericks I think). i5 4200M (Haswell, Clover patches kernel automatically). Elan Touchpad (link provided). Realtek audio (used VoodooHDA, had to apply patches for low volume, though not very successful).

will this method work on niresh mavericks 10.9.0 if install it with clover?

(i just need the QE/CI)

mine is lenovo G510 just with the i5-4200 (there's no dedicated GPU)

Thank for this thread guys.

• 1 year later...