Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW8600

Benjudas

93 posts in this topic

Sorry to inform you the BIOS reset using the CMOS button did not help. I even purposely left the SAS ROM enabled this time as well as disabling the Integrated audio. Sure enough, that left me with only the HDMI option available in the System Report and still no built-in audio. I re-enabled audio.

There was no existing dsdt file to begin with. Unfortunately, I cannot startup or shutdown reliably at this point. I temporarily moved the file out of the Extra folder.

Better idea keep existing DSDT.aml and boot with DSDT=/Extra/DSDT-test.aml or whatever you call the test one you put in the extra directory for the testing.

It look me a little longer due to the language difference, but our settings are the same....except, of course, where we have different hard drives.

One thing that may or may not be important-- my processor 0 has a stepping value of 676, processor 1 (which I added later myself) has the value 67A. I honestly do not believe it matters. Both processors are recognized and are behaving normal in both the Mac and Windows side. I've read this was a problem for some users....until they upgraded their BIOS. Since I have the latest, I guess I'm okay.

I compiled a DSDT file for yours processors (Xeons X5450), but I do not discard that different processors stepping could be a problem. I injected your graphics too (Nvidia Quadro FX 2000). You said that you prefer to use this card. There is no warranty because I have the code thanks to others users code. I haven´t got this CPUs and Graphics. I just can say: I did my best.

Regards and good luck.

DSDT x5450 & Q2000.zip

• Like 1

Uh oh.....I am no longer using the Quad 2000. I have a GT 740 now (see post #39)

Interesting on the stepping. I do not not even know what that is in regards to CPUs. When I last looked the CPUs themselves, I did not notice anything different in the printed information. Maybe I need to take a second look.

Windows 7 64bit does not show any signs of trouble with the CPUs. I have read of others getting a "Multiprocessor support error" errors when attempting io install Windows. This does not happen to me. Perhaps my CPUs are similar enough?

This could explain why I could not get Mountain Lion to work with my dual CPUs, though. Got a kernal panic unless I turned off multiple cores in BIOS. Mavericks does not seem to have a problem.

Thank you for your work. I feel bad that I am using a different graphics card now. Out of curiosity, what benefit would I have with the graphics card "injection"? Is this only to resolve a conflict with the audio or would this give me the graphics performance boost I seem to be missing? As you may already be aware, the GT 740 ("kepler") is supported natively in Mavericks but it does not run nearly as fast as it does on the Windows side.

I compiled a DSDT file for yours processors (Xeons X5450), but I do not discard that different processors stepping could be a problem. I injected your graphics too (Nvidia Quadro FX 2000). You said that you prefer to use this card. There is no warranty because I have the code thanks to others users code. I haven´t got this CPUs and Graphics. I just can say: I did my best.
Regards and good luck.

I missed seeing this post earlier. Audio is working after applying this kext! I did have to use -f on boot.

The audio output devices are switched, however. When I select "Internal Speakers", I get the external line out. When I select "Line Out", I get audio coming from the internal speaker.

So, the disadvantage to using -f , is boot-up time is slightly slower. Is there any other disadvantage?

I do not understand one thing-- the AppleHDA.kext is the same version (2.6.3f4) as the one you last provided, although they have different creation dates. How can I get a different result?

Perhaps this all gives a better clue to making the DSDT work. As  you said, it is better to have fewer kexts loading. :)

Sorry again on changing video cards.

Could you try with this one?

post-1542989-0-71823500-1435891304_thumb.png

post-1542989-0-69433100-1435891311_thumb.png

I was able to "borrow" a Quadro 2000. I wanted to test your DSDT file. I am happy to say that it appears to be working 100%. No need for -f on startup and no problems with shutdown or restart. See the difference in the audio report attachment.

I needed "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" for the 2000, of course, but the nVidia Web Driver seems to be working with it also. This wasn't the case before. Strange.

Sadly, I would no longer want to be using this card now that I have the GT 740. The 740 is a superior card and is more at home in the Mac than the Quad 2K.

Would it be difficult to modify the DSDT for the GT 740 or would it even be necessary??

post-1542989-0-58840700-1435944500_thumb.png

I reinstalled my GT 740 and the DSDT file still allows audio to work.

Because of the "injected" Quadro 2000, my graphics report says it is still installed (as HP Quadro 2000, not nVidia.).

So I am clueless on how all this works but I'm sure I would not want to keep the Quadro 2000 code in the DSDT file. Must it be replaced with the GT 740 in order to make the audio function correctly? Now that I think about it more, I would like to have the HDMI audio on the 740 functional as well since the computer will more than likely be moved to a TV with built-in speakers.

post-1542989-0-11215100-1435949528_thumb.png

I'm glad to hear that.

I have to confess that the first time, I sent you a wrong kext. I don't know how, but I uploaded a test kext that I made for eliminate a sound assertion. But is great that now it works.

About the HDMI sound, it should work if you plug any tv with loudspeakers through HDMI or DisplayPort, because it is injected in AppleHDA.kext. But even if it works, I do not recomended to use the Q2k DSDT code with GT740. But I need more info about your card, like brand, model, number and kind of outputs.

And what happening with your CPU Temps, SPEEDSTEP, perfomance, etc?

Here is the card:

http://www.frys.com/product/8119745?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It may not be clear from the photos but the card has two DVI ports (DVI-D and DVI-I) and one HDMI (mini HDMI).

Thanks for reminding me about the CPU behavior. Earlier in this thread I asked what your thoughts were on using the latest FakeSMC and the Hardware Monitor program that comes with Multib****. If not from the installer, okay to install separately? You did specify only to use the FakeSMC in your original kext list but I think it would be safe to use the latest, correct?

Not sure how to measure speedstep in Mac OS X. Is there a program you recommend for that? I know a good way I plan to put the CPUs under a load-- HandBrake. I plan to use it a lot on this machine.

I'm glad to hear that.
I have to confess that the first time, I sent you a wrong kext. I don't know how, but I uploaded a test kext that I made for eliminate a sound assertion. But is great that now it works.
About the HDMI sound, it should work if you plug any tv with loudspeakers through HDMI or DisplayPort, because it is injected in AppleHDA.kext. But even if it works, I do not recomended to use the Q2k DSDT code with GT740. But I need more info about your card, like brand, model, number and kind of outputs.
And what happening with your CPU Temps, SPEEDSTEP, perfomance, etc?

Not sure how to measure speedstep in Mac OS X. Is there a program you recommend for that? I know a good way I plan to put the CPUs under a load-- HandBrake. I plan to use it a lot on this machine.

DCPIManager will show you the c-pstates and the HWMonitor.app will do the same. Now all you are really likely to see is the bottom of your states and the very top ones as that is all Apple seems to use it is all or nothing with them. Same as the idea with a real Mac they run it as hot as they can before the fans will kick in to cool the machine down.

Just FYI-- it is probably not a good idea to install the latest security update from Apple for Mavericks. At least it wasn't for me. After doing this, the system booted to a white screen, no mouse cursor. Booting in safe mode did not help. I suspect it is not easy to "uninstall" a security update either so I found myself reinstalling a fresh system again. That is okay, though. I wanted to document all of the steps so I have the process down. I have also made backups of the working system so can revert back more easily. I may consider using Time Machine in the future also.

I could not get the nVidia Web Drivers to work this time, though. And I think it might actually be related to the security update. My system is no longer recognized as being compatible. This is not much of a loss. As I stated before, the drivers did not do anything to increase performance. The best I got out of it was a correct product description in the System Report.

So perhaps modifying the DSDT for the GT 740 will have more of an impact than the drivers did.

Just FYI-- it is probably not a good idea to install the latest security update from Apple for Mavericks. At least it wasn't for me. After doing this, the system booted to a white screen, no mouse cursor. Booting in safe mode did not help. I suspect it is not easy to "uninstall" a security update either so I found myself reinstalling a fresh system again. That is okay, though. I wanted to document all of the steps so I have the process down. I have also made backups of the working system so can revert back more easily. I may consider using Time Machine in the future also.

May want to consider a backup partition where you clone your install to with something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper as well.  The way I use it is this system update comes along I clone to backup boot from that then update use for some time testing all programs that are important to me for any regressions, if none then I clone back to main partition and continue on my merry way. Saves you the trouble you just went through and the partition does not need to be large either just enough to hold your install so can be on the same drive usually.  If you have lots of files in your downloads, pictures .. directories like that then CCC at least has the option to exclude directories from copying/cloning not sure on the SD.

Thanks for the tips! Since my SSD is relatively small, I do not think I will partition it for backup purposes. If my new SATA III card works out (replacement is due to arrive tomorrow), there is a strong possibility a second partition will be devoted to Windows 7. I have enough spare rotational drives I can dedicate for Mac OS backups. CCC is my tool of choice for cloning. :)

My suspicions that the security update broke something appear to be correct:

Nvidia Graphics Driver Update for OS X 10.9.5 w/Security Update 2015-005
Nvidia download page for Graphics driver 334.01.03.f04 for OS X 10.9.5 build 13F1096. (The build after installing OS X Security Update 2015-005 released June 30th.) Here's a clip from the main D/L page tab (other than version info typical boilerplate).

New in Release 343.01.03f04

·  Graphics driver updated for OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 (build 13F1096)

·  Contains performance improvements and bug fixes for a wide range of applications.

·  Includes NVIDIA Driver Manager preference pane.

Still not motivated to reinstall the nVidia Web Drivers though unless it is needed to make the DSDT work correctly.

I'm trying to setup a dual boot on my 240GB SSD drive and used this as a guide:

only in the most basic way, mind you. I do not have Yosemite and Windows 10. I was mostly using it to guide me in the order in which things should be installed. This worked for me before, but I think that was when I actually installed the Chimera bootloader. :D

So after the part in the video where my Windows is installed (version 7) and I boot back into the Mac OS X system using my USB boot drive, I install the Chameleon v2.2svn 2377 (as you recommend) bootloader along with option that fits my setup (Boot0hfs) because I have OS X and Windows on the same drive. After installing the bootloader, Windows is no longer bootable and the partition becomes hidden. See attachment.

What am I doing wrong?

If I install Windows 7 to a separate drive, no problem. Well, except for the visible "System Reserved" partition that need to make hidden.

post-1542989-0-34714300-1436726252_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a small update. I found a really good deal on matching E5450 CPUs. I recently learned that these consume less power than the X5450 CPUs and offer the same performance. I expect them to arrive early next week.

This may affect the DSDT as well, correct?

I successfully installed two stepping-matched E5450 CPUs.

Unfortunately, the system seems to have some trouble now. I am getting random lockups while using the Mac OS X side. Windows 7 side appears fine.

In addition, I am sometimes getting kernal panic at startup. See attached.

I tried recreating the smbios and chameleon settings but it did not help.

Hope I do not have a bad CPU.

I will try doing some HandBrake encoding under Windows to see how it does.

post-1542989-0-12031000-1437796751_thumb.jpg