Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW8600

Benjudas

93 posts in this topic

Finally I managed to install 10.9.2 Mavericks on my HP XW8600 workstation.
Everything works except the graphics power management (AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext).
The installation method I followed is ##### with 10.9.1 installed without problems and combo update to 10.9.2, where I had to make a rollback of ACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from 10.9.1.
The news is that I managed to run the original AppleHDA.kext with patch for ALC262 and some modifications in Platforms and Layout28 ping config, and activated through HDAEnabler.kext. You need to boot with -f boot flag to sound detected correctly. This is due to an IRQ conflict.
The network works with BCM722D.kext of Adlan, the problem is that after sleeping no network. I have solved this with SleepWatcher 2.2 and editing these scripts:

rc.sleep:
sudo ifconfig en0 down
sudo ifconfig en1 down
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext

rc.wake:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BCM5722D.kext
sudo ifconfig en0 up
sudo ifconfig en1 up

The SAS works with a simple modification in the hardware id of the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext info.plist.
The SATA works thanks AHCIPortIjector.kext and in my case I selected in the BIOS menu the Raid-AHCI mode to get 6 ports working because I have a PCI card with ASMedia1062 Chipset, but you may need separate IDE setting if you haven't this card (only 4 ports).
Sleep is working even waking from USBs, but when I wake, external disks are ejected. I solved this with an application called "Jettison".
I am currently trying to refine the installation through DSDT and I got a DSDT (solved HDA IRQs conflict and HDAEnabler no more needed) that works without Sleep. I include it on files, any help will be appreciated.
I know that it isn't perfect installation, but it works.
Thanks to everyone that make this possible (Adlan, Toleda, Netkas, etc).
Sorry about my english.

Kexts XW8600 10.9.2.zip

DSDT_Beta1.zip

post-415560-0-53255400-1399812367_thumb.png

post-415560-0-18456500-1399812382_thumb.png

post-415560-0-39027700-1399812409_thumb.png

post-415560-0-90876200-1399812428_thumb.png

post-415560-0-15288400-1399812490_thumb.png

post-415560-0-98190200-1399812507_thumb.png

post-415560-0-81431800-1416704772_thumb.png

post-415560-0-41187500-1416704777_thumb.png

post-415560-0-09044000-1416705299_thumb.png

post-415560-0-58474400-1416705310_thumb.png

post-415560-0-75886500-1416705323_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi, do you have a method for solve the usb problem of HP XW4400?

I have only this problem...

Please help me

You just need to boot with -f boot flag, and USB will work. It's due an IRQ conflict. But I solved this problem thru DSDT edition. I have created a new topic to explain how to:

Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW4400 - Complete Desktops - InsanelyMac Forum

Hope it help you.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Benjudas, how do you set the bios? Do you install OSX on SAS or HD Sata? Because I try install OSX Mavericks but my xw8600 does not recognize the usb. My xw8600: X5460 3,16 GHz x 2 / SAS HD 15,000 RPM 73GB x 2 / 32GB DDR2 / GeForce GTX 650 1 GB.

Benjudas, how do you set the bios? Do you install OSX on SAS or HD Sata? Because I try install OSX Mavericks but my xw8600 does not recognize the usb. My xw8600: X5460 3,16 GHz x 2 / SAS HD 15,000 RPM 73GB x 2 / 32GB DDR2 / GeForce GTX 650 1 GB.

Hi cumpadi,

I use a SSD for the OS, connected thru an ASMEDIA PCI Card ( SATA III).

You need to boot with -f boot flag or use my DSDT for get USBs working. My DSDT is compiled for XEON E5440, so if you want to use it, you will need to edit this section of the code.

Hope it help you.

Basically, I patch the IRQ's conflict and the CPU power management. Without DSDT, I had no SOUND, no USB, the processors were overheated and speedstep didn't work. The rest, is cosmetical.

Hope it help you.

• 4 weeks later...

Benjudas, have you updated to 10.9.5 yet? I created my USB boot drive using MyHack 3.3.1 from the 10.9.5 installer (Apple Store).

t took me a while to find a compatible graphics card in order to get the installer to boot properly. My xw8600 originally had an nVidia Quadro 2000 installed. I kept getting a black screen when booting into the Mavericks installer. Funny thing is my previous Mountain Lion system had no problem with it.

I tried a Radeon HD 2400 next and still had problems. Finally, a Quadro FX 1700 got me to the Mavericks installer screen. After the install completed and I rebooted, I could not get passed the Welcome screen. This is where I needed to pick my country. The mouse cursor moved but nothing could be selected.

I rebooted the system in safe mode and was then able to complete the initial boot process. Unfortunately, I am unable to boot to the Finder unless in safe mode. This is not ideal, of course.

Are all of your kexts still good with 10.9.5?

I tried using the same Ethernet kext I used with ML. The new devices are recognized in the Network preferences but I am not picking up an IP. I'm wondering if it is due to being in safe mode.

I also have an ASMedia SATA II card. I would like to get this working with Mav too. I see it showing up in the System Profile but the attached drive is not....again, probably because I am stuck in safe mode at the moment.

Appreciate the help.

Did you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes? 

If yes, try without that option.

I am in 10.9.5 with the same kexts, and all of them work perfect.

If you are not using my DSDT.aml, I suggest to boot with "-f" option.

Hope it help.

Is the default that GraphicsEnabler is yes? If so, I have not tried GraphicsEnabler=No yet. I will try that.

In addition, I am booting with -f -v. Unfortunately, I still need safe mode to actually get to a working Finder. Oddly, one time it fooled me and opened a Finder screen only to have it become unresponsive and incompletely drawn.

I will try your DSDT. It was suggested to me that I need to edit/create this for *my* card but this would be my first experience with it. Do I use something like Chameleon Wizard to edit the DSDT or is there a preferred program?. If I am doing that, maybe I should just jump back to the Quadro 2000. It is a better card.

Tried with and without. Even tried GraphicsEnabler=No and that results in a no signal indicator on my monitor. So, just like you might expect with turning the graphics off.  :)

I don't think I understood your info on DSDT. I do not have one yet and I was already using the -f option.

Now should I get working on the DSDT?

Are you still booting from MyHack USB, or did you install Chameleon bootloader in the Hard Drive?

I am asking this because if you are booting from the USB, I think that this can be a problem that have relation with the kexts that use MyHack to boot. 

Could you write you full specs.

My xw8600 originally had an nVidia Quadro FX 1700, and if I remember well, I think that I could boot with this card without safe mode, but I´m not sure, that was long time ago.

I am booting from the Chameleon bootloader after a successul install (once I got passed the Welcome screen, it did actually complete the install).

Full specs:

HP xw8600 w/Dual Xeon X5450 3.0GHz CPUs

12GB DDR2 RAM

500GB SATA III HD connected to built-in controller.

NVidia Quadro FX 1700 512MB (also have a Quadro 2000 I would prefer to get working)

ASMedia SATA III PCI-e card (installed but nothing attached at the moment). I have tried removing this card, by the way. It does not change the behavior.

Are you still booting from MyHack USB, or did you install Chameleon bootloader in the Hard Drive?

I am asking this because if you are booting from the USB, I think that this can be a problem that have relation with the kexts that use MyHack to boot. 

Could you write you full specs.

My xw8600 originally had an nVidia Quadro FX 1700, and if I remember well, I think that I could boot with this card without safe mode, but I´m not sure, that was long time ago.

Would it just be easier if I install one of the graphics cards on the Mavericks compatibility list? The GeForce GT610 2GB seems like a nice choice. Can't beat the "Works OOB" in the notes. My only concern is the brand name "Twintech". I cannot seem to find any being sold. I can find an MSI brand:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-PCI-Express-N610GT-MD2GD3-LP/dp/B008AJKIN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433892843&sr=1-1&keywords=GeForce+GT+610+2GB+GDDR3

But am I going to get in trouble if I do not match the brand? Seems like getting the same chipset is enough.

Regarding your DSDT file you provided-- I do not think I can use it unless you and I have the same version of BIOS, from what I've read. My xw8600 has the latest BIOS v1.46. Was that the version of BIOS you had when your DSDT was created?

I think I am going to continue to have difficulty patching a system I can only boot in safe mode. When in safe mode, removable media does not work either, so I cannot transfer any programs. I won't be able to do any DSDT creating/editing/installing without additional software.

However.......I could still boot from the Mountain Lion system and should be able to see the Mavericks hard drive that way. I could then transfer programs. If I can then run the programs while in safe mode, I should be okay.

Help me Obi-Benjudas Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Sorry jdryyz, I've been very busy with work.

I'm in the last bios too (1.46) so this should not be a problem.

The really problem is that your processors are different than mine. My DSDT was modified to get my XEONs E5440 cpu power management work.

You should look for DSDT code for your processors and replace it. You could edit it in mountain Lion, and test it in Mavericks.

But I think that it has to be another thing, because if I boot without DSDT, I can boot in normal mode, and the only problem that I have is that the processors are overheated, I have no sound, and a USB random problem.

I don't know what can be, it's very strange.

Maybe, you should try another install method.

Did you install all the kexts that I uploaded?

For update from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 I had to install IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to get it work.

Make sure that you did it. 

I'm using Chameleon version 2538, and you?

I wait your news.

Good luck.

I understand being busy. Thanks for your time!

Yeah, I think there is something else going on, too. I picked up a GT 610 1GB graphics card and it gives me a black screen just like the Quadro 2000. :(  So, for now, the FX 1700 is only way for me to get functioning graphics (in safe mode).

Perhaps it is the fact that I am starting with a 10.9.5 installer, not from an ealier version like you did. This user here has dual X5450 processors and did not seem to have trouble:

He used the MyHack method also. Which is why I chose to go that way. But, he used 10.9, not 10.9.5. Not sure if he even upgraded to the latest Mavericks after that video was made.

My Chameleon bootloader says "svn2266". I assumed that was the latest based on what the Chameleon Wizard tells me when I "checked for updates" and did not say one is available. Also, that seems to match what is found here: http://chameleon.osx86.hu.  Your 2538 sounds newer, though.

I have not used *all* of your kexts. I found some in the 10.9.5 system to be newer than what was in your archive. Perhaps I need to downgrade in some cases?? The two that have HDA in them are for audio, right? Then, there is what looks like a custom kext called AHCIPortinjector. I'm not sure how important that is right now since I am not using the AHCI setting in BIOS and plan to use the PCI-e card as my SATA III adapter as soon as I can get the graphics working.

Would examining the boot log file that I see in verbose mode be of any help in pinning down the problem? I assume it is actually recorded somewhere each time the system boots. It goes by way too quickly on the screen to read.

I think it is worth repeating, my Mountain Lion system works fine with graphics (it gladly accepted the FX 1700 even though I had the Quadro 2000 in the computer during the ML install). The problem with ML is, it refuses to boot with my Dual Processors enabled in BIOS ( I get a kernal panic). Mavericks has no problem with the Dual processors.

Sorry jdryyz, I've been very busy with work.

I'm in the last bios too (1.46) so this should not be a problem.
The really problem is that your processors are different than mine. My DSDT was modified to get my XEONs E5440 cpu power management work.
You should look for DSDT code for your processors and replace it. You could edit it in mountain Lion, and test it in Mavericks.
But I think that it has to be another thing, because if I boot without DSDT, I can boot in normal mode, and the only problem that I have is that the processors are overheated, I have no sound, and a USB random problem.
I don't know what can be, it's very strange.
Maybe, you should try another install method.

Did you install all the kexts that I uploaded?
For update from 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 I had to install IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to get it work.
Make sure that you did it. 

I'm using Chameleon version 2538, and you?

I wait your news.
Good luck.

Oh, I found a Chameleon update and installed it. It is v2.3 r2716. I mistakingly thought the Chameleon Wizard would check for bootloader updates but I see now they are two different things.

The bootloader update did not help any, though. Interesting note, however-- I booted without any options after the update and smbios.plist was missing. It booted to the finder but everything was very slow. When I checked the "About this Mac", it thought it was a Mac mini. I updated smbios back to a MacPro 3,1 and rebooted.....it then got stuck at the usual spot.

You need to install, at least, IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext for boot normally. Both are rollback from 10.9.1, that are old kext, but they are needed for boot correctly.

About chameleon, you do not need the last version for Mavericks. Chameleon is updating constantly for new mobos and Yosemite. The 2377 version is the last one that support Mavericks perfectly. The next one (2378) is the first one that support Yosemite. I told you that I use 2538, but it was a mistake. I use 2377, and it detects both processors, memory, and graphics perfectly.

Here you have the rest of kexts updated to 10.9.5.

They are for Audio, Lan, and SAS.

I never upload this kexts because no one ask me.

Hope it help you.

Good hack!

Rest of Kexts XW8600 10.9.5.zip

• Like 1

I double checked those two kexts against what I had installed. From your 10.9.2 achive in the beginning of this thread, AppleACPIPlatform.kext is at v2.0 and IOPCIFamily.kext is at 2.8. Is that correct?

In my Mavericks System\Library\Extensions folder, my IOPCIFamily was at 2.9. AppleACPIPlatform was the same version (no rollback on this one?) When I rolled back IOPCIFamily to 2.8 and rebooted, I got an error (see attached).

Unfortunately, I did not make a backup of the original kext and now the system will not boot. Not too worry, though. I can always reinstall a fresh copy of Mavericks and start over.

I also figured out that I can easily downgrade the Chameleon bootloader using the Wizard as long as the machine is on the internet. Fortunately, my ML system (on a different drive) has working Ethernet. I was able to pick the same loader you suggested and installed it.

Once I get a stable Mavericks system, I will work on the Audio and LAN next. SAS would only be a curiosity if I can get everything else to work. I have it disabled in BIOS at this time. 

More to follow....

You need to install, at least, IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext for boot normally. Both are rollback from 10.9.1, that are old kext, but they are needed for boot correctly.

About chameleon, you do not need the last version for Mavericks. Chameleon is updating constantly for new mobos and Yosemite. The 2377 version is the last one that support Mavericks perfectly. The next one (2378) is the first one that support Yosemite. I told you that I use 2538, but it was a mistake. I use 2377, and it detects both processors, memory, and graphics perfectly.

Here you have the rest of kexts updated to 10.9.5.

They are for Audio, Lan, and SAS.

I never upload this kexts because no one ask me.

Hope it help you.

Good hack!

post-1542989-0-74802400-1434418171_thumb.jpg

You have to install both at same time. They have dependencies them selves.

You can rescue your system without reinstall. You just have to boot from intaller, run terminal, and copy AppleACPIPlatform.kext into S/L/Extensions, and boot with "f" option.

More luck next time.