OS-X Installation stuck at gray screen

16 posts in this topic

Using clover and diskmaker X, I made a bootable USB but now I'm stuck at the gray screen after the apple logo and all there is on the screen is a spinning beach ball of death movable by the mouse, I waited for while and nothing happens, it's just stuck.

Specs: Gigabyte H87, i5 4430, GTX 650, 8GB DDR3, 1TB WD blue hdd

Well then use the myHack method its a stable method compared to diskmaker and has a 98% chances of working try it out if u can...coz i dont think the .app would create a problem unless its a corrupted download...

Try with the attached config.plist in /EFI/Clover (generated with the excellent Hackintosh Vietnam tool) & make sure you have FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9 of your USB installer. Also, you will need to have installed OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and HFSPlus.efi (replace VBoxHfs-64.efi) in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI.

This should boot the installer in verbose mode and uses SMBIOS of iMac 14.2, graphics injection for Intel HD4600 only.  If you have problems, post a screenshot.

Further troubleshooting tips in the Noobs Guide, Clover wiki & Clover Instructions thread.

config.zip

Try with the attached config.plist in /EFI/Clover (generated with the excellent Hackintosh Vietnam tool) & make sure you have FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.9 of your USB installer. 

This should boot the installer in verbose mode and uses SMBIOS of iMac 14.2, graphics injection for Intel HD4600 only.  If you have problems, post a screenshot.

Further troubleshooting tips in the Noobs Guide, Clover wiki & Clover Instructions thread.

hello

must boot without injection for nvidia

like GraphicsEnabler=No

and for me i disable in bios the onboard graphics

good hack

Thanks i've tried both of those, I get to a black screen with it saying something about enabling kexts and at the last line it lets me type something in? 

But I didn't type anything and after a while it lead to the gray screen again with the beach ball of death. 

@Nobody15000,

A few questions for you...

• I'm not clear on what's happening ...do you reach the main Clover menu?
  • Is your monitor connected to the motherboard video output or the GTX 650?
  • Have you tried artur's suggestion of disabling the onboard graphics in BIOS?
  • Can you post a photo of the "screen with it saying something about enabling kexts and at the last line it lets me type something in?"

Initial Mavericks Install Procedure

• Press <F12> to access your boot menu as your computer POSTs and choose your USB stick (sometimes listed as USB-HD) to boot it
  • At the Clover Main Menu, select Boot OS X install from Install OS X Mavericks and hit the spacebar....

post-846696-0-54253300-1393138245_thumb.

• From the next menu choose Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts and hit enter.

post-846696-0-26692000-1393138517_thumb.

....you should see verbose output and after a while (have to be patient), you will see the initial installer screen which allows you to choose your default language....

@Nobody15000,

A few questions for you...

• I'm not clear on what's happening ...do you reach the main Clover menu?
  • Is your monitor connected to the motherboard video output or the GTX 650?
  • Have you tried artur's suggestion of disabling the onboard graphics in BIOS?
  • Can you post a photo of the "screen with it saying something about enabling kexts and at the last line it lets me type something in?"

Initial Mavericks Install Procedure

• Press <F12> to access your boot menu as your computer POSTs and choose your USB stick (sometimes listed as USB-HD) to boot it
  • At the Clover Main Menu, select Boot OS X install from Install OS X Mavericks and hit the spacebar....

post-846696-0-54253300-1393138245_thumb.

• From the next menu choose Boot Mac OS X without caches and with injected kexts and hit enter.

post-846696-0-26692000-1393138517_thumb.

....you should see verbose output and after a while (have to be patient), you will see the initial installer screen which allows you to choose your default language....

Well both of my monitors are connected to my graphics card and not my motherboard, I've tried using 1 monitor.

I reached the main clover menu yes, I've disabled intel graphics. and I have tried many other things.

I just gave up and I'm going to try the niresh's mavericks.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same issue using the Uni***** 3.01 tool, only solution I could find was to delete the NVDA*.kext from /S/L/E on the USB stick. This lets me boot perfectly on the USB installer.

I had previously tried creating an installer using the Mavericks.app directly but that had no way of removing those Kexts.

No amount of fiddling with Clover options would fix it. This is with 2 different machines both using a GTX 760 Nvidia card. Also technically disabling the GraphicsEnabler/Inject should not work anyway since the cards do not require Injection to work.

Is there some way to blacklist kexts like you can with modules in Linux?

please try this

1- reset your Bios Settings to its factory defualts

2- Enable EHCI and XHCI from Boot Peripherals on your Bios

3- Make sure your to use the manual method from Clover Graphics Settings on boot screen

make sure injectnvidia is checked

4- boot with verbose mode after applying 3rd step hit ESC key couple of times and then hit SPACE key and select Boot .... in Verbose and hit ENTER

please report back