AMD Hackintosh... Is it still possible?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm kinda a newb, but I made a hackintosh before. Anyway now 3 years later, I'm wondering if this build is possible. I'm trying to make a new dual boot gamer, possible mac on another partition. I want to do this because my MBA is solid on some games like TF2 or any other source game, logic and final cut, and even KSP, but cannot do Rust. Anyway I decided to upgrade, but I'm interested in AMD's offerings mainly cuz their way cheaper with 8 cores and more. So this is the build I'm interested in:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GsOd

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GsOd/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GsOd/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.29 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.84 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.44 @ Amazon) (x2 if dual boot)

Case: Apex PC-375 ATX Mid Tower Case w/300W Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($134.99 @ Amazon)

Other: Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC ($32.79)

Other: Sapphire Radeon R7 240 4GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA with Boost PCI-Express Graphics Card 11216-02-20G ($89.99)

Total: $826.31

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-08 22:30 EDT-0400)

Anyway, would this build be possible? I would like to stay with AMD because it's much cheaper

Thx!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Considering there are some patches for that CPU it may work or it may not work properly. Probably it will be causing you Kernel panics on daily basis(it may not but there is a great possibility) I would rather forget about that and look for Intel alternative. Rather buy less performance Intel than Better AMD if you want to do Hackintoshing. I had tower with AMD and tried hackintoshing but it was unusable as it was constantly freezing after every hour even considering it was doing a hood performance if you yake into account that it was AMD Hackintosh. But unusable after every hour so I abadonned hackintoshing AMD machines. But if you want gaming give it a try and buy it and use Windows insted and maybe hackintosh it as rxperiment but as daily driver I would rather forget about hacking mac on that machine.

• Like 1

As of now, in summary:

Snow Leopard works flawlessly, 64-bit kernel mode is hit-or-miss, FaceTime won't work at all;

Lion works flawlessly, both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel modes, iCloud features and FaceTime won't work at all;

Mountain Lion mostly works, iCloud and FaceTime won't work at all;

Mavericks mostly works, but it's not reliable for pro video work because of QuickTime issues. iCloud and FaceTime won't work at all. Development for Mavericks is ongoing, so it's quite possible the QuickTime issues are solved some time in the future, but then again, there's no guarantees.

All in all, it's hard to recommend AMD for a serious hackintosh build, mostly because the older systems that work perfectly would require older GPUs (that is, no Radeon 7xxx or R9 series, no nVidia newer than the GTX 580), and also because the cool features that make OS X unique - iCloud, FaceTime, iMessages - won't work with a patched kernel, with an AMD hackintosh requires. On the other hand, if Windows gaming is your priority, and the hackintosh is intended as a hobby, or to work with audio only, or to consume content instead of creating it, the price/performance ratio of a hi-end FX83xx CPU is hard a deal to resist.

Now, if you already have the hardware, have a GPU that's old enough to have either Snow Leopard or Lion running and don't care for iCloud and Apple's messaging services, and have the necessary time and patience to fine tune everythingI'd say go for it: you'd be able to run Logic and Garageband (but not the latest versions of each one) flawlessly and iMovie or Final Cut or the Adobe CS6 suite (with workarounds).

All the best!

P.S.: I'd go anyway with a nVidia card, which is easier to set up with a hack. In fact, i think there's no sense at all in using such a powerful CPU as the FX 8350 and bottleneck it with a DDR3 GPU for a gaming PC, even with Windows.

• Like 1