Turning on Bluetooth Mac Pro 1.1

Col in Sheff

4 posts in this topic

Hi, new poster here.

So I have a Mac Pro 1.1 (OS X 10.6.8) with no bluetooth installed. I want to use my BT mouse/keyboard.

i have purchased a USB Bluetooth adapter (Startech USBBT1EDR2), as I read elsewhere (and on the manufacturer's site) that this will work.

The dongle works fine in my old macbook with the same OS, but that already has Bluetooth capability.

It shows up in my profiler on the Mac Pro, in the USB bus

The problem is that when I try to use it, I get the message (in Sys Prefs>Bluetooth) "Bluetooth power is off. To use Bluetooth, you must first turn it on". But the "On" and "Discoverable" buttons are ticked, but grayed out, and I can't turn Bluetooth on.

There are no software updates available to me. Startech support say it should work, I don't need any drivers for it. I can't think what else to do. Can anyone advise me please? I know I may be able to install a card, but this dongle should just work, shouldn't it?

Thanks.

Yes, it should. Very strange. Did you try repairing permissions and rebuilding caches? Launch terminal, then type:

diskutil repairPermissions /

Hit "return". When the process is over, type:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then reboot, and see if the dongle is working.

All the best!

Problem solved. I deleted the bluetooth plist from preferences folder and trashed it, emptied the trash, restarted and it worked.

I thought I'd done this already but I have OS on two disks and must have deleted it from the wrong one. Anyway, all happy now.