• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

EDIT: See reply below for a more elegant, and simple solution, requires one character KEXT EDIT, to get all built-in motherboard SATA ports working perfectly (should work with Mavericks USB install as well, just substitute method for USB instead of Boot HDD)

I had to cut a lot of corners here, and I may have to switch to an IDE DVD-RW drive, as the Mac boot (2xHDD installed) I have is running from a 2-port ASM1061 SATA3 PCI-e card.

I used my existing Hackintosh Time Machine backup, and made sure the SMBIOS.plist was identical on the MyHack Mavericks installer USB. I could then restore from my Time Machine backup to this machine (both HDD plugged into ASM1061).

I have a GeForce 8500GT 512MB, and the only way I can use it was to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I also use npci=0x2000 and PCIRootUID=1 in my Boot.plist.

I am using Voodoo 0.21 for audio.

I am using Kext Utility to manually update the Kext Cache -- machine boots to desktop in ~10 seconds with UseKernelCache=Yes.

I am using BCM5722D.kext for ethernet. Does not work after sleep, but can be manually reloaded. I am looking into a RELIABLE script to do this automatically with SleepWatcher.

I have a SiliconImage 3114 PCI SATA card, and two VIA VT6421 PCI SATA/IDE cards, but with PCIIDE.kext or AppleVIAATA.kext, there is still no DVD-RW visible. This is a HP BIOS DVD-RW, but I have no other SATA models to test with, I do have one working IDE model, which I might test in the motherboard's IDE port.

List of things working:

2 x Quad-Core Xeon 2.33GHz -- 2 power states, 2.0GHz and 2.33GHz. C2 State a possibility - mentioned in BIOS.

4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM - Strange, it shows 9 slots (only 4 in machine) and slot 9 is a 1MB ROM???

GeForce 8500GT 512MB PCIE - Perfect, QE/CI OpenGL and CUDA all perfect.

Sleep/Wake working perfectly (darkwake-0) -- USB2.0 and graphics working across sleep.

BCM7555 working with BCM7522D kext. Does not work across sleep.

USB2.0 - all ports, even working across sleep.

Audio - ALC262 working via VoodooHDA 0.21

Rolled back AppleACPIPlatform, and it seems to have gotten rid of the beachball of death

Used M*ltiB*ast for all installs/rollbacks, and KextUtility for kext installs/kextcache creation.

Working Firewire400 card, just noticed firewire port on front of workstation, there may be Firewire built-in as well?!?

App Store/iCloud both working fine.

All software (except DVD Player, which complains of no Optical Drive) working sweetly, and quickly.

List of things not working:

Ethernet not working after sleep -- can be unloaded and reloaded manually.

DVD-RW -- I need another working SATA port, and a non-HP drive to get this working. I just remembered I have a working Firewire400 optical drive enclosure (IDE) so I will certainly give that a try.!!!

I would like more power states, but I am unsure if these processors go below 2GHz ??? I do not understand C2/C3/C4 states at all, so will not try that out for the time being.

Posting this from this very machine. LOVELY!

Need a new heatsink/fan for my exposed/jerry-rigged fan on the 8500GT.

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

In S/L/E/AppleAHCIPort.kext, find Intel ESB2 AHCI and change the number from 2681 to 2682. Reinstall kext with Kext Utility, and away you go! I have removed my ASM1061 SATA3 PCIe card, as no longer required (no drives faster than 3Gb/sec installed).

I have the two hard drives installed under SATA4 and SATA5 (Red ports), thinking that the others may not be full 3Gb slots (4 & 5 set to 3Gb in BIOS - Internal Only). Also, I discovered my Firewire400 works perfectly as well, but no hot-swap (is this a Firewire feature?) Once I unplug, I need to restart to see the device connected (or the Firewire at ALL).

Anyways, using entirely stock system now (except for graphics card update). I ordered a $35 NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 512MB online, so that should give the system a little BOOST :)

I am not using DSDT, update to latest BIOS available, and it appears that I have perfect sleep/wake (tried it with multiple disks attached, and they were all there and working on wake, with no complaints). All I really need now is a perfect shell script for sleep/wake that will unload and reload the BCM5722D.kext, then it will be a 100% working system, very close to stock.

More news as it comes to hand.

EDIT: DVD-RW working perfectly now from mobo SATA ports. Would like to write a new firmware so it doesn't read "hp" before the drive name. Anyone know of a good firmware patch to rename it to SuperDrive?

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I created a DSDT.aml from Linux, thinking I may need to change some IRQ values (as recommended for the XW8600 etc., but I have disabled the floppy drive in BIOS, and this IRQ thing does not seem to bother me. Admittedly, I am using the SATA hardware ID, and not the AHCI hardware ID (2681). With the DSDT loaded and ForceHPET (there was NO HPET inside the DSDT), the computer would not wake up, so I have reverted to NO DSDT, and no ForceHPET (not even sure what HPET does??).

Sleep/Wake working now, Ethernet has reloaded correctly twice, will retest again tonight, and if it still works, I am calling it 100% working.

Also, I am a bit sick of Voodoo 0.21, as the volume control is changeable and "iffy". I'll give the USB sound card a trial maybe as well. 

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I tested the same edit on my Mavericks MyHack install USB, and it works beautifully. I think I will create an install guide, as there is a lot of interest in these dual-Xeon workstations as Hackintoshes (they are plentiful, and incredibly cheap for their performance - 64bit GeekBench=9350).

Wake still working, but ethernet not always reloading, it works again after manually running the sleep/wake scripts.

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I have a NVIDIA 9800GTX 512MB on order, so that should improve the system somewhat.

rankel

rankel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I am working on a xw6600 too! I have the one with dual E5450s @ 3GHz and 16GB RAM, and It has a 6850 in it. I am running 10.9.2. Sleep works perfectly. I am also having to use voodoo for audio. I have not been able to get the ethernet working (using the kext you referenced I now have ethernet working).

I have noticed in Hardware monitor that only 2 cores on one processor change multipliers from 6x to 9x, the rest all stay at 6. Needless to say my geegbench suffers (only 7400)

I would love to know how you installed OSX.

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

hmmm, the E5450's were used by Apple (I had the same real MacPro3,1). It also excepts the cheaper Wxxxx modules too (but the heatsink bolts need some micro washers on them, as the W's have a heat spreader, and the E's don't.

Are your E5450's dual core, or Quad-core? If they are Dual Core, your GeekBench sounds correct (for 4 cores) - double that for 8 cores :-0

14,000+ is a RIDICULOUS GeekBench 64bit score. latest Core-i7 machines (overclocked) are only getting 15,000 and a bit more.

I would first update to the latest FakeSMC + plugins + hwmonitor, the one that comes with MB is very out of date.

I would then rollback your ACPIPlatform with MB, and (re)patch your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Rolling back your ACPIPlatform seems to be a big step in getting older/stranger motherboards working nicely. You could try setting GenerateCStates/PStates in Boot.plist, and even CS-usingIO. You may get lots of errors at startup that you cannot generate P States etc., but it might give you the edge with power states being switched correctly. As I said, I only have two, but I am sure there are more available. I will test with Win7 on the same machine, and see if I can figure this out.

Cheers.

rankel

rankel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Its best to simply count the turns to unmount the heatsink and add 2 with a lidless processor. The washers aren't too reliable I have found. 

I think the E5450 is only a quad core. Anything that says 54xx is going to be 4 cores. I think the dual core variant is the 5240. 

I rolled back the acpiplatform and repatched aicpm.kext All cores are stepping between the 2 states, with a geek bench of almost 13,000. 

CPU-Z in windows 8 confirms the existence of only 2 states at present, but there may be a bios setting or something. 

This machine is impressive for $150 

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Yeah, I paid AUS$200, best $200 I ever spent :thumbsup_anim:

I am working on a new Hackintosh (starting today) - A Core2Duo 3.16GHz 6GB RAM - MSI P7N SLI Platinum mobo (nForce 750i) with GeForce 6600/8500GT/9800GTX. I think I will save the 9800GTX for the HP workstation tho  :)

New box has a CARD READER, something that I would have loved in the HP XW6600 !!!

I think you will discover that there are only TWO power states with this setup. There is a BIOS setting for setting C2 State, but I have no clue what this means?!

I wonder if you can mix ECC and non-ECC RAM in the HP? Would love 8GB  :D

bobymc

bobymc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I have HP XW6000, with no SATA port...IDE is the default HDD...just wonder how can I feed the OSX into this machine,  since the OSX always UNABLE to Unmounting the HDD during installation...

Probably someone can help

Thanks in advanced

themacmeister

themacmeister

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Follow my instructions and change that value for Intel ESB2 AHCI in AppleAHCIPort.kext (2682 instead of 2681). Install onto USB boot stick using Kext Utility, also check installed version after installing 10.9.x.

Remember to roll-back AppleACPI *AND* patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (10.9), otherwise you will be stuck at one speed after updating to 10.9.3.

Even with the AICPM patch, I could not get multiple frequencies out of this machine without the rolled back ACPI. My CPU supposedly locked at full speed got a GeekBench score which was 1000+ less than before... :(

All good now tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy