Hard Lockups on near perfect system - Troubleshooting help please

stuppy_

5 posts in this topic

Hi

After a bit of assistance please.

I am running a near perfect hackintosh (see sig). I have been using this system for a few months and it has been pretty much rock solid. I have done graphic design work using illustrator and photoshop, web development using Coda, listened to music, watched movies etc, and it has been fine.

Yesterday I needed to encode video file. I opened Handbrake and started the encoding. Half way through, the system locks up. No KP, just freezes. I have to reset the computer. I tries again and same thing happens the second time. The third time it encodes the file without problem. It was only a small file taking about four minutes. I should note that I was transfer files over the network from the computer to another Mac at the same time each time.

I haven't had chance to troubleshoot and try and replicate the problem , but before I do I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what could be causing the lock ups.

Console reveals no error specific entries leading up to the lock up leading me to suspect a hardware issue. My first though is the over clocked CPU. Maybe it needs more voltage? Temps are fine, around 70oC under load.

Just a couple of bits of more info regarding my setup:

I am using a fakesmc with extra sensor modules for use with HWswnsors. Not sure whether this could affect it?

Speed stepping seems to work without problem; idling at 1.6ghz ramping up to. 4.2 under load.

OSX is installed on a Crucial M4 SSD. Trim is not enabled as far as I know.

If anyone is able to help , thank you. I can provide any other info required.

Many thanks

seems that you need a  new graphic card, not a good idea mix  hardware modern  with a old card, can be a problem with this card, try delete AMD* ATI* IntelHD* graphics kexts, then repair permissions with Kext Wizard/reboot  and try again.

seems that you need a  new graphic card, not a good idea mix  hardware modern  with a old card, can be a problem with this card, try delete AMD* ATI* IntelHD* graphics kexts, then repair permissions with Kext Wizard/reboot  and try again.

Hmmm.  I fail to understand how the graphics card has anything to do with this?  The graphics card does not use any kext, it is patched in DSDT. 

Hmmm.  I fail to understand how the graphics card has anything to do with this?  The graphics card does not use any kext, it is patched in DSDT. 

Unless the graphics card is not doing what it should be namely having a driver loaded for it then it is using a .kext the dsdt mod allows the system to see it and load the proper .kext. Since it appears you have overclocked the processor and your freezes happen like one would expect when an overclock fails when put under a load. I would think you need to look into that overclock being the problem not a graphics bug like has been suggested. You can get prime95 built to run on OSX to do some stress testing on the overclock to see if you can reproduce the freezes under stress with it, the newest version on the download site below.

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v285.MacOSX.zip

Unless the graphics card is not doing what it should be namely having a driver loaded for it then it is using a .kext the dsdt mod allows the system to see it and load the proper .kext. Since it appears you have overclocked the processor and your freezes happen like one would expect when an overclock fails when put under a load. I would think you need to look into that overclock being the problem not a graphics bug like has been suggested. You can get prime95 built to run on OSX to do some stress testing on the overclock to see if you can reproduce the freezes under stress with it, the newest version on the download site below.

ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v285.MacOSX.zip

Hey, thanks for the suggestion; I believe I may have found the problem however.

As i explained in my OP, the lock-up always seemed to happen when I was putting the CPU under load while transfering data over the network using the Atheros ethernet port.  I transfer a lot of files to a computer that is connected wirelessly to my network, so I am only ever pushing 9-10MB/sec tops.

Anyway... I tried just transfering the data over the network alone, which worked fine and I wasn't surprised as I do it often... just not when the CPU is under load.  Then I tried just encoding the video file and putting the CPU under load... worked fine, no problem.

I again tried to do both these tasks simultaneously and each time the computer would freeze before either task was completed. 

After a little poking around on Google, I came across posts suggesting that the kext I was using for the Atheros ethernet (ALXethernet 1.0.2) may be prone to memory leaks.  So I moved the network cable into the Intel chipset ethernet port and tried the test again.

So far  I have completed the test successfully, and I am just running a 4th test now.  So it would appear the Atheros kext is the culprit.  I do believe there is a better, newer kext available for the Atheros which may resolve the issue and I will try it shortly; but even if there isn't and the Intel ethernet holds up, then I am happy with that :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope this may be of some help to someone in the future (on the premise that my fix is correct!)

Obvioulsy I will be back if the problem resurfaces :)