DNG problem w/ camera raw 3.5+

munky

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm having trouble with RAW conversion to DNG, using Adobe's DNG Converter 3.5.

Using 3.5 (which is a unibin), the output DNG files are always tiny, like postage stamp size and resolution. Under 3.1 (powerpc) it was fine.

I've tried 3.6beta, same result.

WEIRDLY, if I choose to run the converter via Rosetta, it all works fine!!

So if anyone else has trouble with DNG Converter, try Rosetta.

ok, ive dug into this a little further.

first, some background: my camera's RAW (Pentax *ist DL2) is not directly supported by Mac OS X, but its predecessor (Pentax *ist DL) is, and a simple edit of Raw.plist enables me to use Aperture, Preview etc to work with RAW files from this camera, provided they're wrapped in a DNG.

ok, so far so what? well, i compared the output of the DNG Converter running natively (bad.dng) to that of it running via Rosetta (good.dng). The 'good' file (the one which works correctly) is 4 bytes longer than the other one. i used 'split' to chop the 4 bytes off the end of the 'good' file, then compared the two (now identically-sized) files. they still differ.

why on earth are these files different? why does native execution make a file which renders to be a postage stamp size, even in Aperture?

This reminds of a situation when I opened Nikon RAW files with PS, which were misnamed as tif-files (xxx.tif instead of xxx.nef). All I got to see were tiny stamp-sized images, I concluded that these mini-images must have been in fact jpg-pics embedded in the RAW data. Your troubles sound vaguely reminiscent to this. Renaming from tif to nef (that´s how Nikon names RAW-files) solved my problem. Any good?

ok, ive dug into this a little further.

first, some background: my camera's RAW (Pentax *ist DL2) is not directly supported by Mac OS X, but its predecessor (Pentax *ist DL) is, and a simple edit of Raw.plist enables me to use Aperture, Preview etc to work with RAW files from this camera, provided they're wrapped in a DNG.

ok, so far so what? well, i compared the output of the DNG Converter running natively (bad.dng) to that of it running via Rosetta (good.dng). The 'good' file (the one which works correctly) is 4 bytes longer than the other one. i used 'split' to chop the 4 bytes off the end of the 'good' file, then compared the two (now identically-sized) files. they still differ.

why on earth are these files different? why does native execution make a file which renders to be a postage stamp size, even in Aperture?