R9 290X Help for mavericks

TechGuru

473 posts in this topic

Can I see the output from radeon bios decoder on your vbios?

Have you tried making the computer sleep and wake up, then after wake up plugging in the display?  This may also help you.

Something you might want to try, since Baladi is 6-port, overwrite it with OPM from the older kext.  It seems to have been pretty compatible for anything with displayports that I've tried.  Values are:

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try that and get back as soon as I've made some tests. The bios output is as follows:

Connector Object Id [19] which is [DISPLAY_PORT]
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x12 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x4)] linkb: false

Connector Object Id [12] which is [HDMI_TYPE_A]
encoder obj id [0x21] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY2 (osx txmit 0x22 [duallink 0x2] enc 0x5)] linkb: true

Connector Object Id [4] which is [DVI_D]
encoder obj id [0x20] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY1 (osx txmit 0x11 [duallink 0x1] enc 0x2)] linkb: false

Connector Object Id [4] which is [DVI_D]
encoder obj id [0x1e] which is [INTERNAL_UNIPHY (osx txmit 0x10 [duallink 0x0] enc 0x0)] linkb: false

EDIT: Tried it now, no real improvement. I do get flickering dvi output with your suggested changes, but it does not correct itself when re-plugging the monitor, and when I connected a DP monitor it crashed. Back to the drawing board :)

A small update.. I tried all kinds of settings for the framebuffers, but most led to black screens and/or crashes. After fiddling for quite a while, I tried changing only the first DP-port in Baladi profile to my DVI port. Didn't work at first but after I changed some flags I got it working. It boots without issues with the DVI port functional, although the system sees two of the same screen (probably some issue with duplicate sensor ids or something, will investigate tomorrow). Acceleration works great and the stuttering and such I had before is gone, so that's good.

However, booting with the DP cable attached hangs the system when it comes to the desktop. I tried adding the DP config for my card as the second Baladi port, but that didn't help. It seems this can be solved with a lot of trial-and-error (change one value, reboot, didn't work, restore settings, reboot again, change another value, and so on.. repeat x1000000 times :) ). I heard others have problems with multi monitor support too, so might be a driver issue as well. I'll give it a while tomorrow too and see if I can't sort it out.

Starting to suspect my problem is elsewhere.. I sat for hours today tring different settings, but no matter what I had crashes during boot and similar issues. I noticed I didn't even get a boot image (bios screen, clover and such) on my DP display. I booted windows and tried connecting the DP display there. I got an alert saying something like "A problem with the DisplayPort connection keeps this display from using it's recommended resolution", and I got 1024x768 resolution on it. Not sure if it's the cable or GPU, but I think I'll have to test the cable and/or card somewhere else before continuing.

Anyway, patching the first DP in Baladi profile to my first DVI connection and then booting with VideoPorts=1 makes the DVI work flawlessly - no flicker, no stuttering, no crashes, fully accelerated and such. I'll just stick with that until I found the problem with the DisplayPort.

Can you provide a modded kext? 

Not sure how useful my changes are to anyone else, but sure. I made my changes in the clover config.plist though, but here's what I did to get the single DVI working good on the ASUS DirectCU II OC 290X (note, not any other port):

This is my graphics section:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>PatchVBios</key>
		<false/>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Baladi</string>
		<key>VideoPorts</key>
		<string>1</string>
		<key>InjectEDID</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>

And add this under KernelAndKextPatches:

<key>ATIConnectorsController</key>
		<string>8000</string>
		<key>ATIConnectorsData</key>
		<string>00040000040300000001030012040303</string>
		<key>ATIConnectorsPatch</key>
		<string>04000000140000000001010011020303</string>
  • Like 2

Somtimes I just want to kill myself :). Sat for hours on end trying to get an image on my DisplayPort, but nothing worked. If I plugged the DP into my IGPU displayport-out it worked fine. After I tried every setting and then some, I rebooted to windows and tried it there. Windows reported that there was a problem with my DisplayPort and that I couldn't get full resolution. After some googling I found the answer..

Apparently some GPU's have a bit weaker DP output. Therefore cables over 2 meters in length are not sure to support resolutions over 1920x1080.

God damnit :D. I bought a new 2m cable today, and of course it boots fine with OS X (default framebuffers) in 2560x1440 now. So, it wasn't a framebuffer issue, but a cable one. The IGPU apparently outputs a stronger signal so it worked on that port.

Soo, now I have to re-do all the framebuffer testing :). Will try to work out how to get both the displayport and DVI ports working on the ASUS card, will let you guys know if I have any progress.

By the way, is it possible to dump the framebuffers from AMDFramebuffer.kext? I'm interested in seeing how that one looks (where DP works) compared to the Baladi ones.

ok so the info for clover worked but for a single option <key>InjectEDID</key>

<string>Yes</string> <this got me a black screen and with it off i get a framebuffer on the display port only but we need multi monitor 

ok so the info for clover worked but for a single option <key>InjectEDID</key>

<string>Yes</string> <this got me a black screen and with it off i get a framebuffer on the display port only but we need multi monitor 

Yes, after some quick tests yesterday I'm still a bit confused, one monitor at the time seems to work but as soon as I enable two I get black screens. Not sure if it's really a framebuffer issue, as I've tried a ton of settings and combinations for the framebuffers without any change. Will be away all day today but will try some more tomorrow.

so i got dual monitors to work kinda it requires the second one to be plugged in but with the power removed then go into display and gather all windows and then plug it in and it should work but it's buggy the framebuffer isnt fully all there it seems to be missing a far bit of code 

Tried with DP4 today with the ASUS 290X, doesn't seem to be any difference in behaviour from DP3. With AMD8000Controller.kext / Baladi I can only get one DVI port working, and with the default framebuffers (AMDFramebuffer.kext) the DisplayPort is working but nothing else.

Is there any way to dump the framebuffer settings from AMDFramebuffer.kext? Tried with the ati-personalities.pl script but that just gives me a blank output.

Hi there,

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I've tried to install Yosemite DP1 and it won't work as usual (mounting installESD.dmg and such). Are there any specific settings that I should use for this beta in combination with this R9 290X card? I have an original beta app. Or should I perhaps change some stuff in Clover plist?

Thanks for any tips :)

Okey, i got more reports here, i managed to get the syncproblem i had fixed by forcing the correct resolution. I still have no working multimonitoring working though, if i try to plug in more then 1 monitor they all go "black" and i have to reboot with 1 monitor to get 1 screen working again. i will try some injectsettings later today when i get home from work, but so far it seems the OS is working pretty stable.

What exactly did you do to force the resolution? Just ticking the correct resolution in monitor settings instead of the default "optimal for this monitor"?

I have the same problem with a flickering and black screen. It goes away reliably as soon as I disconnect and reconnect the monitor but I want to avoid that of course. <edit>The monitor is connected via DVI cable.</edit>

I installed the official Yosemite Beta with the Special Edition of Clover found in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299865-clover-v2k-r2780-special-edition-yosemite-beta/

Apart from the damn screen problem, everything is fine, especially the 290X works OOB like a charm.

Not really. Flash crashes with Hardware Acceleration and theres weird visual corruption at shutdown, so we're still a few betas away from stable drivers

You're right of course. :-) I was just excited to see the system at least working quite ok. Still no network or sound, though, so it is far from perfect.

The problem with the flickering screen dissolved itself as well. Turns out I just needed to connect via Display Port instead of DVI. I thought I read about problems with DP not working at all but this might have been with netkas' backport under Mavericks.

You're right of course. :-) I was just excited to see the system at least working quite ok. Still no network or sound, though, so it is far from perfect.

The problem with the flickering screen dissolved itself as well. Turns out I just needed to connect via Display Port instead of DVI. I thought I read about problems with DP not working at all but this might have been with netkas' backport under Mavericks.

Flash works great for me i get zero flickr and have zero issues i just can't do multi monitor

So, DP5 is out. AMD8000Controller is updated (grew exactly 20480 bytes), but I can't see any difference in multi-monitor support compared to DP4. Tried some quick framebuffer patching, but same troubles as before - black screens or hangs during boot.

On the plus side, Flash seems quite stable now (youtube player and such seems stable now, crashed before), and I had some graphic bugs around the progress bar during boot that has gone away now. Anyone else had any luck with DP5?

So, DP5 is out. AMD8000Controller is updated (grew exactly 20480 bytes), but I can't see any difference in multi-monitor support compared to DP4. Tried some quick framebuffer patching, but same troubles as before - black screens or hangs during boot.

On the plus side, Flash seems quite stable now (youtube player and such seems stable now, crashed before), and I had some graphic bugs around the progress bar during boot that has gone away now. Anyone else had any luck with DP5?

do you mind giving me the new framebuffer patch please

do you mind giving me the new framebuffer patch please

I didn't actually patch anything - I tried to get multi monitor working, but couldn't, so I reverted back to running with standard AMDFramebuffers (ie ATIInject = false), as that boots perfectly with full QE/CI and such. The working flash and graphics bugs that are gone seems to just be from the updated drivers in DP5.