R9 290X Help for mavericks

TechGuru

473 posts in this topic

Its a BIOS issue on the GPU itself. Not the drivers. Focus on the BIOS of the AMD 290 and 290X and see what is different between there BIOS and the 270X for example.

So you think the 10.9.3 drivers already support the 290x but something on the card itself is preventing it from working?

So you think the 10.9.3 drivers already support the 290x but something on the card itself is preventing it from working?

The device ID for the 290 and 290X has been there for some time. And yes, it is a BIOS issue. 

• Haha 1

Cannot someone simply flash the BIOS of, say, the R9 280X and see what happens?

I have tried loading different roms with different edits using the boot loader and restarts just as before. But you can't take a 7970 GPU bios and try to make it work. lol

A AMD 260X is a new arc but not the same either. 

If people were willing to work together and not expecting someone else to do all the work then yes I would put time into it. ;)

I'm definitely willing to help in any way possible, this is beyond my current hackintosh level of knowledge at this point though :P. I have a pair of 290x's I'd love to get at least one working in Mac OS though! Could it be brand specific? I have matching Sapphire cards, but I have yet to try them out.

And as a side note, your socket 2011 DMG's helped me out a lot! :)

I tried to extract some info from the BIOS with atomdis, but it seems to have a problem with R9 290X rom.

Tried 2 different BIOSes, same story.

I got Segmentation fault: 11 and atomdis produced 80MB txt file, which was incomplete.

With 280X BIOS it works perfectly.

None of 3 different roms DL'd from techpowerup (ATI, Gigabyte, MSI) has the UEFI part, that's a bit strange nowadays, don't you think?

I tried to extract some info from the BIOS with atomdis, but it seems to have a problem with R9 290X rom.

Tried 2 different BIOSes, same story.

I got Segmentation fault: 11 and atomdis produced 80MB txt file, which was incomplete.

With 280X BIOS it works perfectly.

None of 3 different roms DL'd from techpowerup (ATI, Gigabyte, MSI) has the UEFI part, that's a bit strange nowadays, don't you think?

Now that you mention this, after doing some searching it looks like the 290x does not normally support UEFI. Supposedly there is a UEFI specific VBIOS you can flash. I'm going to hunt that down today and give it a try.

Edit: I've sent a request to sapphire to obtain the UEFI specific bios as it's not readily available online. I'll let you guys know how it goes! **fingers crossed :P **

Now that you mention this, after doing some searching it looks like the 290x does not normally support UEFI. Supposedly there is a UEFI specific VBIOS you can flash. I'm going to hunt that down today and give it a try.

Found in some review of 290X cards: "It should be noted that Sapphire has implemented DUAL BIOS on the Tri-X models, ensuring that the card boots and delivers maximum performance in systems with both UEFI and legacy BIOS implementations". Did anyone try the second bios setting on a Sapphire Tri-X card?

• Like 1

Found in some review of 290X cards: "It should be noted that Sapphire has implemented DUAL BIOS on the Tri-X models, ensuring that the card boots and delivers maximum performance in systems with both UEFI and legacy BIOS implementations". Did anyone try the second bios setting on a Sapphire Tri-X card?

i have just tried that uefi bios with no avail good sir still os x does not have a working 290x but the flashed worked perfectly now my card has a extra 10% speed boost 

i have just tried that uefi bios with no avail good sir still os x does not have a working 290x but the flashed worked perfectly now my card has a extra 10% speed boost 

Where did you get the UEFI Bios from? And which 290x do you have? I've been looking all over for one, and Sapphire support is a total joke to get anything from.

Only one I found with UEFI support was a gigabyte one, but my computer wouldn't boot with that rom.

Where did you get the UEFI Bios from? And which 290x do you have? I've been looking all over for one, and Sapphire support is a total joke to get anything from.

Only one I found with UEFI support was a gigabyte one, but my computer wouldn't boot with that rom.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2706/sapphire-tri-x-r9-290-oc.html

i got it from a gpu rom data base

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=ATI&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=R9+290X&interface=&memType=&memSize=

I think that's just injecting the device name, but not actually giving QE/CI and hardware acceleration. Notice the 7Mb framebuffer size

ya i see it did you see where i said make it FULLY WORK lol wasnt hard to miss i hope and the issue with the 290x somewhere in mac's little brain it's seen as a 7600m because of the device id so when i flashed my 290x to a 290 it was seen as the right card kind of which is better then no name at all oh well back to the drawing board at least this is fun 

i am getting a w9100 bios set to me and will flash my 290x to that bios in hopes it will work and if not then i will at least have some workstation features since the 290x and the w9100 are dead on spec wise besides the 16gb's of vram amd should be sending it on Tuesday