R9 290X Help for mavericks

TechGuru

473 posts in this topic

Hi, thank you for all your contributions! I had Netkas' package from back in June installed, and using you kext didn't change anything. That being said, I don't think my numbers have been particularly low.

Before/After:

LuxMark v2.1 Sala: 2902 / 2927

Cinebench R15: 76.70 / 76.49

well it was made for 10.10.2 

i gained 37 fps in all benchmarks hmm

Just ran some quick benches (see attached pics)

One running stock agpm and the other running the modified agpm.

Pretty much no change whatsoever.

Edit: I looked at your info.plist and I think I know why it does nothing. I'm using macpro5,1 and have no gfx0 in my dsdt. I'll try playing with it later but why is the vendor id 10de? isn't that nvidia?

post-624336-0-91372500-1421400365_thumb.png

post-624336-0-24134300-1421400375_thumb.png

post-624336-0-86624500-1421400389_thumb.png

post-624336-0-60366400-1421400406_thumb.png

Just ran some quick benches (see attached pics)

One running stock agpm and the other running the modified agpm.

Pretty much no change whatsoever.

Edit: I looked at your info.plist and I think I know why it does nothing. I'm using macpro5,1 and have no gfx0 in my dsdt. I'll try playing with it later but why is the vendor id 10de? isn't that nvidia?

me thinks i uploaded the wrong one

i updated my link above and here is it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3y5hldpEFDYSmRXa2ZYVHg4eEU/view?usp=sharing this time with the id 67b0

me thinks i uploaded the wrong one

i updated my link above and here is it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3y5hldpEFDYSmRXa2ZYVHg4eEU/view?usp=sharing this time with the id 67b0

Just tested again. I tried setting by smbios to macpro6,1 and all it did was make my scores tank (CPU and gpu were roughly half in cinebench).

Also looked at your info.plist and still think it may be incorrect.

I don't know why you have the entry as Vendor10deDevice67b0. Vendor 10DE is Nvidia. Does agpm just ignore this or what?

System profiler says the 290x is 1002 67b0:

AMD Radeon HD 8xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 8xxx

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI Slot 0

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 4096 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67b0

Revision ID: 0x0000

So I tried changing the entry in agpm to Vendor1002Device67b0, rebooted, and the machine would get stuck in a reboot loop right before getting to the login screen, both when using the 6,1 profile and when duplicating the entry under the macpro5,1 section of the agpm profiles.

Out of curiosity what kind of fps do you get in the various benchmarks?

Just tested again. I tried setting by smbios to macpro6,1 and all it did was make my scores tank (CPU and gpu were roughly half in cinebench).

Also looked at your info.plist and still think it may be incorrect.

I don't know why you have the entry as Vendor10deDevice67b0. Vendor 10DE is Nvidia. Does agpm just ignore this or what?

System profiler says the 290x is 1002 67b0:

AMD Radeon HD 8xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 8xxx

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCI Slot 0

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 4096 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67b0

Revision ID: 0x0000

So I tried changing the entry in agpm to Vendor1002Device67b0, rebooted, and the machine would get stuck in a reboot loop right before getting to the login screen, both when using the 6,1 profile and when duplicating the entry under the macpro5,1 section of the agpm profiles.

Out of curiosity what kind of fps do you get in the various benchmarks?

http://imgur.com/a/ufKZC

http://imgur.com/a/lBlNd here is my benchmarks 

Seen some Good Things here. Majority of them From the Allmighty WAAAAAADOCTAAAAA. My 295x2 will come today I have mavericks installed on my x99 deluxe. Didnt want to read thru the whole post. Im thinking ill get support with the 290x tools? Anyone have a 295x2 in mavs?

Seen some Good Things here. Majority of them From the Allmighty WAAAAAADOCTAAAAA. My 295x2 will come today I have mavericks installed on my x99 deluxe. Didnt want to read thru the whole post. Im thinking ill get support with the 290x tools? Anyone have a 295x2 in mavs?

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8489.0.html

Installed Yosemite+Clover today and got my 290X running.

But, it's really slow. Under "About This Mac" it says AMD Radeon 290X 5MB ...... 

How can I fix the ram issue? 

Thx

Edit: I have a Tri-X 290X. Read somewhere that those do not work on Yosemite. Is that true?

thats not true i run that bios on my gpu

Can't you change the VRAM in Clover to 4096 (using Clover Configurator)? Odd, what SMBIOS are you guys using? Using iMac 14,2 my 290X is reported as a AMD Radeon 8XXX series card, not R9 290X.

im using macpro 6,1 it helps make the 290x perform better

In About This Mac, does it show as a R9 290X or Radeon 8XXX? Actually, which 290X cards are you guys running? I might get a new one, like a MSI R9 290X Lightning if it'd work better.

not as 290x as i no longer need fb patching to get it to run fast 

I'm running a sapphire 290x tri-x oc using macpro5,1. Mine shows as AMD Radeon HD 8xxx 4096 MB

No agpm because I can't seem to get it working, but performance seems to be decent aside from cinebench due to my older cpu's ipc performance.

Still have flickering at startup though it's easily resolved by a quick disconnect of the dvi cable or sleep activation

Can't you change the VRAM in Clover to 4096 (using Clover Configurator)? Odd, what SMBIOS are you guys using? Using iMac 14,2 my 290X is reported as a AMD Radeon 8XXX series card, not R9 290X.

At the moment iMac 14,2 but tried Mac Pro 6,1 with the same result.

Changing VRAM in clover did not help.

Could you guys post your config.plist? 

Thx

You can try patching the framebuffer in Clover, but that doesn't seem to work too well (especially if you use DL-DVI) with Yosemite.

Okay, will try that.

I've found patches for DP but none for DVI, but will try to make my own.

Funny thing: If I enable the iGPU and set it as primary, it works great. I have multi monitor and the black screen bug goes away. But there's this ghost monitor that I can't remove :(

@WarDoctor : The kext you posted page 17, does not work on my system. I set the framebuffer, inject ATI and all, but the driver just does not kick in. That's why I had Display 5mb under About this Mac.