Performance tweaks for a blueberry imac g3?

8 posts in this topic

There's this blueberry imac g3 that I got at a pawn shop for 5 dollars (the guy was desperate to see it gone from his shop) and it works wonderfully. It's got a 350mhz g3 cpu and 320mb of ram (I wish I had kept my 512mb ram sticks back when my power mac g4 kicked the bucket), and works pretty nicely with mac os x 10.4.11. Basically its use is as my email reader and for when I want to watch japanese tv and niji show on my main computer (for windows) won't behave. I use vlc for the japanese tv stuff and understandably for those specs the performance isn't awesome. it's watchable but there's a bit of lag, and I was wondering if there are performance tweaks for 10.4.11 that I could use so that it'd lag a little less.

There was a tool called Shadowkiller that removed the drop shadows in OS X. It helped performance on lower end machines. I had a 800MHz G3 iBook with 640MB RAM and while it was usable with Tiger video playback took a noticable performance hit over Panther.

I'd give Shadowkiller a shot but for better performance try Panther or maybe even OS9 (although finding a player might be tricky).

There was a tool called Shadowkiller that removed the drop shadows in OS X. It helped performance on lower end machines. I had a 800MHz G3 iBook with 640MB RAM and while it was usable with Tiger video playback took a noticable performance hit over Panther.

I'd give Shadowkiller a shot but for better performance try Panther or maybe even OS9 (although finding a player might be tricky).

It's gonna sound weird but panther had worse performance than tiger. it took ages to boot and it'd take too long to start programs. with tiger everything's a relative breeze. As for downgrading well the program I use to watch my live japanese tv is java-based, and tiger's the oldest version of os x that runs it correctly.

Give Shadowkiller a try and see if it helps. I prefer Tiger to Panther too but I was talking specifically about video performance. It was slower for me under Tiger and I had 4x the VRAM of your iMac. Also, I don't think any third party video players had hardware acceleration as the access was kept restricted to QuickTime. So maybe try and see if you can play the videos back in that (Perian might help for adding codec support).

Give Shadowkiller a try and see if it helps. I prefer Tiger to Panther too but I was talking specifically about video performance. It was slower for me under Tiger and I had 4x the VRAM of your iMac. Also, I don't think any third party video players had hardware acceleration as the access was kept restricted to QuickTime. So maybe try and see if you can play the videos back in that (Perian might help for adding codec support).

I am using it now. it improved performance somewhat. I did find something else though on a blog that suggested disabling the dashboard altogether to free up ram (the command in the terminal is defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -bool yes

that helped a lot, video is much less laggy in full screen!

I'm not entirely familiar but isn't quartz hardware acceleration?

• 3 weeks later...

Quartz is Apple's video system for OS X which is software based, Quartz Extreme is the "new" version which is hardware accelerated. However, the Blueberry isn't going to use Quartz Extreme.

hmm. i would install freebsd or a small linux with ppc support (arch is my favorite for x86_64 but there is also a port for powerpc) have a look at it. rethat linux would be easier. with lxde as window manager there might be enough ressources left for video ;)