[help needed] i5 3570k/h77-ds3h sleep, power management and About This Mac issues

13 posts in this topic

Hello, folks!

My main hackintosh has been working like a charm for longer that I could remember. Then it crashed badly after a power surge last week, and apparently died. After testing individually each and every component, I found that either the motherboard was burned, or it's firmware became corrupted. Hoping for the latter, I did a CMOS reset and, after an seemingly infinite boot loop (in itself a good sign, since at least the computer was turning on), I was able to access the BIOS and enter my settings. Props for Gigabyte's Dual BIOS system!

The following day, I decided to give my computer a newer case, one with better ventilation, size, looks and front audio and USB3 connections. After my hardware was installed on its new enclosure, I noticed that About This Mac reported my hackintosh as an "iMac 27'', mid 2011", despite my iMac 13,1 smBIOS, which was loaded and correctly reported as such in the system report. And, after HWMonitor detected higher-than-usual CPU temps, I ran MSRDumper and found I was getting only 16 and 34 and the turbo 36, 37 and 38 multipliers as p-states. To make things worse, today I realized my computer wasn't waking up properly - it would wake, but to a black screen, forcing me to a hard reboot. Console.app logs were of no help at all.

I'm using the same ACPI tables, Chameleon settings and smBIOS I've been using for quite a while without any issues, so I suspect that the USB3 front header (which doesn't work) or the backup BIOS the motherboard loaded when the original one crashed might be the cause(s) of my woes. How can I isolate the culprit and, if possible, how can I solve this - I'm lost here. Any help with getting the front USB3 (which uses the motherboard header) to work like the rear USB3 ports do (with DSDT edits, because I never needed kexts for the rear ones, using this method instead: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287901-how-to-get-intel-7-series-usb-30-fully-working-step-by-step-guide/page-4?hl=%2Bgiacomoleopardo&do=findComment&comment=1992234

) would also be greatly appreciated. I'm on 10.9.2 by the way.

All the best!

which bootloader you choice,clover or chameleon? about turbo and powermanager ,you can use the tool "SSDT Gennerator".you can find it on the forum.PUT   THE SSDT-*.aml IN  RIGHT FOLDER .Then,turn off the  C-State /P-Sstate  function from CLOVER OR chameleon.

sorry,my EN IS POOR.

• Like 2

or the backup BIOS the motherboard loaded when the original one crashed might be the cause(s) of my woes.

My guess would be this.  Do you remember the BIOS version you were on before the crash?

The backup/recovered BIOS is probably older than the version of the BIOS you were using previously and therefore your patched DSDT & SSDT may no longer be working properly (since they are specific to the newer BIOS).

I would try reflashing the BIOS to the lastest available for your machine and redo your DSDT & SSDT patches.

Re front USB3: Have you rechecked all cable connections are seated properly?  The USB3 connectors tend to come off easily from the motherboard header...

Good Luck :).

• Like 1

Thank you! Already solved the front USB issue: a broken cable, had to replace it.

Now the sleep issues: so you think I'll need to patch both my tables from start? Damn, that's what I was afraid of. I have patches for HDMI audio (for the IGPU), for using both the IGPU and the discrete GPU at the same time (because one of my monitors is an old VGA-only), for 7-series USB 3 and long wake (without it my computer would take quite a few minutes to wake). Some of those patches required help from others, so it will be a possible nightmare.

Is it some pure Chameleon/Clover solution for my needs? If I could avoid dealing with DSDT again I would save lots of time, specially since I don't have neither Linux nor Windows partitions running, and I remember the DSDT I extracted under OSX used to be very hard (incomplete) to work with.

All the best!

P.S.: forgot to say that I never ever worried about my BIOS version, since my computer was quite hackintosh-friendly since the beginning. I suppose that, since I never updated the firmware, my backup and original BIOS should be the same, right? Thank you!

UPDATE: when I use DSDT=No , GraphicsEnabler=Yes and SkipNvidiaGFX=Yes (I just found out this one makes possible to use the IGPU as primary and yet use the discrete card with my second monitor), the sleep issue doesn't go away. On the other hand, if I set the discrete GPU as primary in the BIOS and boot with only DSDT=No and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, sleep and wake seems to work properly. Strange. Perhaps it's a BIOS issue indeed and I need to start tailoring my DSDT from scratch... or perhaps it's time to give Clover another chance.

UPDATE #2: just tried Clover - no custom DSDT or SSDT, only built-in HW detection. Got a faster boot, but one less p-state, in case multiplier 34 (got only 16, 36, 37, 38). Amazingly, it detected both my cards out of the box, and I was indeed tempted to keep with Clover, until I put my computer to sleep and tried to wake it up: this time, it would only wake up by pressing the power switch, and again to a black screen. So I'd be better fixing my ACPI tables and keep Chameleon, with which I'm more familiar.

Anyway, many props to Slice, Apianti and all the Clover time: last time, I had kind of a bittersweet experience with Clover, with GPU detection, PM and KPs upon wake spoiling the performance improvements i was getting with UEFI boot. This time, it was a breeze: only had to install the APTIO fix and i was good to go. I could keep trying to tune up my system with Clover, but as I said before, I'm more comfortable with good old Chameleon.

I would definitely recommend giving Clover a try since your motherboard has UEFI firmware .  Clover has the ability to autopatch the DSDT on the fly and UEFI booting is also noticeably faster than legacy BIOS booting.

Having said that, Clover's DSDT patching is not always perfect and manually patching the native DSDT can still give better results (place manually patched DSDT in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched).  Maybe put a request in Pjalm's Gigabyte DSDT thread for him to create an all-in-one patch for your motherboard - it makes life much easier.  I use the patch for the GA-B75M-D3H on one of my rigs and it works very well (fixes USB3, long wake & sleep issues).  The one for the GA-H77M-D3H might even work for your motherboard :).

Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Almost sure it's BIOS related: installed 10.10 on a different HDD, and using none of the settings I use with Mavericks, only the minimum tweaks so the system boots (and using Clover, by the way) and the behavior persists. In fact, from what I my searches in Google and everywhere else, this is the kind of issue that almost never really gets solved (differently from actual sleep issues, which are rather easy), so I'm better becoming used to it.

All the best!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: when I use DSDT=No , GraphicsEnabler=Yes and SkipNvidiaGFX=Yes (I just found out this one makes possible to use the IGPU as primary and yet use the discrete card with my second monitor), the sleep issue doesn't go away. On the other hand, if I set the discrete GPU as primary in the BIOS and boot with only DSDT=No and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, sleep and wake seems to work properly. Strange. Perhaps it's a BIOS issue indeed and I need to start tailoring my DSDT from scratch... or perhaps it's time to give Clover another chance.

if i'm correct, you managed to get sleep fully working in 10.10 with chameleon, GPU boot first, DSDT no and GE yes?

i'm having also this issue with 10.10 dp2. here is the thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299924-usb-keyboardmouse-dont-wake-yosemite-only-power-button-does/?do=findComment&comment=2049437

With Mavericks, Fabiuzi... And it simply went away. Don't ask me how.

I checked your topic and had the issue you report there - which is different from what I report here, since you can actually wake the computer from the power switch without having to do a hard reboot, right? - with Yosemite DP1, Clover, and IGPU first (otherwise I can have both iGPU and GPU working) and it also inexplicably went away when I did a simple reboot (you know, I almost really never restart my computer). Now it's back, since I updated to DP5, and doing a reboot won't solve it. I thought it could be the Clover revision I use - r2975 is very buggy - but since you're having the issue with Chameleon, perhaps it's a DP thing.

• Like 1

yes i didn't need a hard reboot. and no i'm not using chameleon. i'm using clover. but anyway when upgrading to dp4 sleep didn't worked at all... so I guess it is the same for dp5. 

btw you suggestion in my thread worked!