Kernel Being Overwritten/Reverting to Vanilla

1 post in this topic

Okay, so, I've hit something here I can't quite figure out and hopefully someone on here can help. I tried searching but not entirely sure what to search for.

I've installed OS X 10.6 from retail disc, installed latest Chameleon from here, updated to 10.6.8 v1.1, installed additional kexts for network and audio, and installed the patched kernel from here in order to allow my system to boot (I'm using an old Celeron processor on a G41m-combo mobo which is why I need the patched kernel). After doing all this, configuring Chameleon with Champlist, and setting the additional kernel flag 'arch=x86_64' to enable 64 bit mode, the system boots without issue. If I restart, also no issue. However, if I leave the system on for an extended period and then restart, for some reason the kernel seems to revert to the default mach_kernel (Chameleon is configured to load 'legacy_kernel') and I get a consistent boot loop. If I boot to a recovery and reinstall the patched kernel, the system boots fine again.

So my question is, what is happening here? Is OS X writing over the patched kernel in the background? How does it know that I'm booting using a patched kernel if it is only listed in the Chameleon plist? I noticed that in '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration' there is a copy of 'com.apple.Boot.plist' that lists the 'legacy_kernel' and flags. Should this be changed to 'mach_kernel' to avoid an overwrite?