Mavericks install - disk cannot be used

jamaly

40 posts in this topic

Nice to see you are making progress.  I still prefer using a custom SSDT prepared the way it was outlined for me (link is set forth above) and using MacBookPro10,2.  You still need to use ACPIBattery.kext and will need to make the DSDT edit required to make it work.  It's in my DSDT.

As for the power button, this is a new feature in Mavericks.  If you press the power button for an instant, it is supposed to put the laptop to sleep.  For me, it just puts the video to sleep.  But if you hold the power button for 1-2 seconds, it DOES bring up the sleep/shutdown dialogue.

Any other issues left to deal with?

The DSDT edit with MasiASL do i copy and paste that link into the "patches" area in preferences and then click the patch folder?

I think I downloaded the .txt file and then pasted the link to the local file.  You can try it however you like.  You'll know if you have it when the text appears in the patch area.

Wow, no actually. I think that's all my problems solved at least until i get a new WiFi adapter, but that won't be for quite a while. Does OSX completely mess up your system time in Windows? Because after using OSX Windows always displays time i think 4 or 5 hours ahead.

Second i get a kernel panic when i connect an HDMI cable. I can live with that though.

Install this in your Windows system and have it run at startup:

Apple Time Fix for Hackintosh.exe.zip

BTW - I did get the HDMI video output to work.  Couldn't get HDMI audio (not yet, at least).  You have to change your ig_platform_id.  Take a look at this:

http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/

Clover takes care of this for us but it does not enable HDMI.  You need a different id and the choices are not optimal for that.  If you are only going to use HDMI, it's not a problem but if it's just an occasional thing, it's not great.

So I managed to install Clover to my EFI partition.  I still have boot files in my OS X partition and in my EFI partition.  I am still using boot6, which I understand to be the legacy boot file.  But I have no EFI folder in my OS X partition so I know I am booting from EFI.

So I managed to install Clover to my EFI partition. I still have boot files in my OS X partition and in my EFI partition. I am still using boot6, which I understand to be the legacy boot file. But I have no EFI folder in my OS X partition so I know I am booting from EFI.

Awesome. So your EFI partition is on your mSSD? How did windows react to that? Win 7 or 8?

Also, I know you're pretty much set with your kexts, but if you decide to implement any new ones put them in the 10.9 kext folder in the EFI. My S/L/E folder is completely vanilla, all my kexts load from clover. That way it's much easier/less hassle to install and remove kexts without using kext wizard or the

sudo touch s/l/e
terminal command. As simple as drag and drop

I also need to double-check that since my osx partition and recovery HD partitions are vanilla, Apple software updates such as the current security update shouldn't cause any problems (or too many big problems).... Right?

I also need to double-check that since my osx partition and recovery HD partitions are vanilla, Apple software updates such as the current security update shouldn't cause any problems (or too many big problems).... Right?

Well, it makes sense for the big upgrades, like ML to Mavericks, to have all your custom kexts in EFI.  However, I have been installing the many beta versions of 10.9.3, and my custom kexts in S/L/E are left alone and cause me no troubles when I install.  In fact, because I now have native power management working and have applehda disabler, I don't need to do anything when I install the beta updates beside click on "install."

Hmm OK, I guess we'll have to see how much Apple messes with our sanity when they leap from osx to whatever their next-gen OS will be. I guess my next project is going to be patching my dsdt with the various clover "fixes" I employ.

Last question (hopefully), did you notice any performance difference when you installed your new WiFi and Bluetooth adapters?

Last question (hopefully), did you notice any performance difference when you installed your new WiFi and Bluetooth adapters?

I didn't notice any computer performance change when I swapped my intel wifi/bluetooth chips for Atheros chips.  However, I did get better wifi speeds using a dedicated wifi chip rather than using a combo chip, which is what I tried first.

I didn't notice any computer performance change when I swapped my intel wifi/bluetooth chips for Atheros chips. However, I did get better wifi speeds using a dedicated wifi chip rather than using a combo chip, which is what I tried first.

OK, so you're foregoing Bluetooth then? How much worse was the combo chip? None of Broadcom's were available?

OK, so you're foregoing Bluetooth then? How much worse was the combo chip? None of Broadcom's were available?

No way.  The HP Envy 17t-3200 has a separate slot for BT.  It's located right next to the hard drive bays.  The wifi slot is located near the fans and you need a screwdriver to access it.  BTW, that empty slot next to the wifi slot is for mSata.  

Also, I removed all of my custom kexts from S/L/E and put them into the 10.9 kexts folder in Clover.  It's just like the old days with the Extra/Extensions folder.  Now, my S/L/E is pure vanilla.

No way. The HP Envy 17t-3200 has a separate slot for BT. It's located right next to the hard drive bays. The wifi slot is located near the fans and you need a screwdriver to access it. BTW, that empty slot next to the wifi slot is for mSata.

Also, I removed all of my custom kexts from S/L/E and put them into the 10.9 kexts folder in Clover. It's just like the old days with the Extra/Extensions folder. Now, my S/L/E is pure vanilla.

Haha, there you go my friend!

I don't even remember seeing an empty slot, last time I opened that other side was back in '12 when I replaced my display assembly (a bug, yes literally, was stuck between the LCD panel and the screen. Weird). I'll have to check if I even have that slot since I got the 3D with 750gb single drive option. You know how HP is..... >:(

I don't even remember seeing an empty slot, last time I opened that other side was back in '12 when I replaced my display assembly (a bug, yes literally, was stuck between the LCD panel and the screen. Weird). I'll have to check if I even have that slot since I got the 3D with 750gb single drive option. You know how HP is..... > :(

I don't think you have a "single drive option."  I think you have what I bought, which is a laptop with one hard drive installed and one empty drive bay with no hard drive caddy.  (It does, however, have a SATA cable for the empty drive bay and a slot for an mSATA drive.)  Here is a picture from the Service Manual for the HP Envy 17t-3200:

post-270804-0-21595400-1398877191_thumb.png

The empty drive bay is the secondary drive and it cannot be made bootable because the HP BIOS does not allow it.  The mSATA drive is shown in light gray in the middle at the bottom of the photo.  You will see only the slot where it goes and not an actual installed chip.  (BTW, when I received my mSATA drive, it did not come with an installation screw and I took one from the four screws that hold the hard drive caddy in place.)

If you haven't seen the service manual for our laptop, here's the link:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317166.pdf