Unable to boot installer for Haswell/Intel 4600 laptop on 10.8.5

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with a friend's laptop. 

The specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-4700MQ
Motherboard: W230ST
16 GB DDR3
Intel HD 4600 integrated
Nvidia GTX 765M dedicated

As far as I understand, we'll be unable to to use Nvidia card, this is fine, he's okay with using integrated graphics instead.

I used a typical method posted on another site (I'm sure you can guess) to create an installer USB. I have not edited it further, it has all the default kexts/boot flags.

When using verbose boot, it is clear the installer will never fully load. Instead, it will hang on 
"[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed" 

From what I've read, this suggests that the issue is not related to Bluetooth, but in fact the graphics card. Apparently it is able to load the installer, but freezes when trying to use the graphics card to display the install screen.

I have tried nearly every combination of boot flags, PCIRootUID, npci, -v, -f, -x, GraphicsEnabler (Yes and No), IntelAzulFB=1-15, and several others. 

Safe mode boot does not work (hangs in the same spot). Single user mode will work, allowing me to manipulate folders and move kexts around. Based on others' suggestions, I have removed all AppleIntelHD* and AppleIntelF* kexts. 

I've read countless forum posts from people with a similar issue, unfortunately to no avail. It appears as if most people are able to boot into safe mode, which I am not.

I'm effectively at my wits end, I'm no newbie to hackintosh but this problem has me stumped.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I could be missing, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks very much!

Joe

Thanks for the reply!

I actually followed that exact post when patching the kernel. I've double checked and I'm confident I followed the instructions correctly; I believe the problem exists outside the kernel.

Do you have any other ideas?