Dual boot hackintosh - windows 8 completely messed up!

bstones94

3 posts in this topic

hi there, I hope I have posted this in the correct place. 

I am having a great deal of trouble with my hackintosh that I have recently built. I have got the apple side of things installed on a separate hard drive to my windows, and that all works fine, give or take a few minor errors. the trouble that i am having now is that my windows 8 side that is on a different internal hard drive is just giving me errors after errors.

here are some of the symptoms:

- unable to load itunes, the icon on the task bar appears if it loading up and then stops and goes back to how it looked if i hadn't clicked it.

- norton 360, once clicked it instantly says 'Norton 360 has stopped working'.

- unable to load most of my apps, music, video, etc. the loading page appears with the symbol for about 5-10 seconds and then goes back to my start screen.

- unable to open pc settings. i wanted to carry out system restores, however like my app, it displays the cog symbol, then after 5-10 seconds goes back to the start screen.

- unable to run trouble shooter, displays an error message saying it ran into a problem, therefore i have to close.

these are just some of the symptoms i have when i am able to access windows.

getting onto this screen is very difficult. when i start my computer, i have to access the boot options, and then select the option called Windows Boot Manager. for some reason this has been partitioned on my mac os HDD (mavericks), however when it loads it launched my windows side, and obviously runs my windows drive. if i am successful, i can type my password in and i am greeted with my start screen. alternatlively i sometime encounter a message saying:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

i then select OK, and the login screen appears a second time. this time if i type my password in and enter, i am usually greeted with what seems like the installation process for windows. it says stuff like 'Hi' and 'Getting Your Apps Ready'. i have followed this through to no avail, and it simply reboots my machine.

to get around this i have managed to install my Windows 8 installation DVD, selected the advanced options and entered command prompt. from here i have typed in bootrec/fixmbr. at this point i reboot my machine, boot from the Windows Boot Manager partition and that usually allows me to access my desktop.

If i was to boot from the HDD that windows is installed on, i get an error message saying; 'No operating system was found' and then it says to press ctrl, alt and delete to restart my computer.

when i boot from the windows 8 DVD, i also have the ability to refresh my pc or even restore my pc. i have attempted to run both of these to no success. i get errors messages saying the drive you have selected is locked. please unlock it, etc.

now i am completely stuck??? my mac side is fine, and i can access that by inserting my [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB and selecting mavericks from the list. however i need my windows side working.

If anyone knows how to resolve trhis without losing my data i will be truly thankful

if not, i will have to simply reformat the drive and re-install windows i guess? im not sure how to do this though? 

many thanks in advance, and please can someone help me with these issues!

bstones94...

I can't really understand what your problem is. But, I have tried to use the software you are using (one of the software used to create Vanilla Hackintosh Install Disk, another creation from a person that is blacklisted on InsanelyMac) and it fails me.

I recommend you to use myHack. Many people including me have tried myHack and it works like charm.

Therefore, backup your datas. Boot up your pen drive and open Disk Utility. Let's start all from scratch. Just re-format your your HDD as MBR with 3 partition (Mac, Windows, Data) and format.

If you think you still don't want to start from scratch, then reply to this topic with "a little bit more compact" post and give me the MAJOR PROBLEMS. After MAJOR, then MINOR. Okay? I'm just 14-years old boy. :)

Good luck.

Your present Windows install is totally fubar!!

I would start over completely. The process is relatively simple since you have one HD for Mac and one for Windows.

Work on one HD at a time, that is, disconnect the HD you are not working with. You can begin with the Windows install. With the Mac HD disconnected install Windows. Partition that HD as desired and install Windows in a normal fashion. Once the install is complete, run Windows Update to get Windows up to speed.

Once you are happy with Windows, disconnect its HD, connect the Mac HD and proceed with the MacOS install.  There are a number of utilities available on this site to aid in installing Mac that are much better than what you used, I use DigitalDreamers HackInstaller Utility (see his guide in Tutorials section). Before wiping your present Mac install create a USB installer using his (or some other utility). If you know what kexts you need to make your board work you can customize the kext folders in DD's script using those kexts to make the new install as painless as possible.

Reinstall mac complete with bootloader and tailored kexts.

When you connect both HDs, set the Mac HD as first boot. When the bootloader screen appears you can pause the boot and select which OS to  boot.

If you have Data or applications you wish to save copy those to your external drive before the rebuild.