OS X wont go past boot:

4 posts in this topic

After installing OS X (with the VMWare version for testing) onto a Virtual PC 2004 machine using instructions from http://www.tech-recipes.com/apple_mac_tips964.html After DD does it's thing and rebooting the machine I get to what appears to be a boot menu and a prompt showing boot: and instructs me to press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options - however when I do it just goes back to the same screen I cannot get past this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nopea

After installing OS X (with the VMWare version for testing) onto a Virtual PC 2004 machine using instructions from http://www.tech-recipes.com/apple_mac_tips964.html After DD does it's thing and rebooting the machine I get to what appears to be a boot menu and a prompt showing boot: and instructs me to press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options - however when I do it just goes back to the same screen I cannot get past this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nopea

Won't work on Virtual PC only VMWare.

Just for clarification - Virtual PC is trying to run OS X as native and not VMWare inside Virutal PC. Do you think it would be better if I was to install directly to an unused HD to run native?

Thanks

Virtual PC will not run OSX no matter where you install it.

VMWare can run a virtual or native installation of OSX.

OSX can be installed and run natively.

Since you are DD-ing the installation of OSX, i would hazard a guess you are using the infamous Deadmoo 10.4.1 version of OSX.

10.4.1 is old and busted. Apple made major changes to OSX starting with 10.4.3 and as a result, most current OSX Intel apps will not run on 10.4.1.

I suggest finding an iso of 10.4.5, 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 and burning it to DVD and installing it. Or mount the iso as a virtual disk and install it into a VMWare virtual machine or to a partition.