Installing Mavericks on Acer 3820T

we5tlake

3 posts in this topic

I have a new Windows 8 HP notebook. I was going to sell my 3-year old 3820T after copying my data to the HP. Then, I thought, why not try to install MacOSX on it?

Well, after many weeks and Kernel Panics, I got Mavericks on my 3820T!  So, I am writing down the steps I took to install Mavericks on my 3820T. I hope this will be of use to someone. YMMV!  Use at your own risk!

Before I started, I noted the 3820T specs.

i3-380M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale with Intel HD Graphics integrated
   Phoenix BIOS v1.19
   Ethernet: Qualcomm/Atheros AR8151 PCIE
   WiFi: Broadcom BCM43225 802.11n
   Audio: Realtek ALC269

I made a disk image backup using Clonezilla so I can restore Windows 7 to 3820T if I want to sell it later.

I followed the Macbreaker Niresh Install guide.

I downloaded Niresh 10.9 dmg file and used Win32 Disk Imager to write the dmg file to a USB stick. See step 1b in the guide for details.

Insert the Niresh 10.9 USB stick into the 3820T.

Power on 3820T, press F2 to go into BIOS setup.

My 3820T was already set to AHCI so no need to change that. I only had to change the first boot device to USB HDD.

Press F10 to save changes and exit.

The 3820T booted up from the Niresh 10.9 USB stick. See step 4.

Boot flags "-v -x PCIRootUID=1" worked for me.

Follow step 5 in the guide to install Mavericks. I erased and reformatted the whole HDD to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".  Is OK coz I already made a whole disk image backup!

In the Customize screen, go through all the options and select the options that make sense. Sorry, but I didn't write down the selections I made. Anyway, the descriptions for the options are quite clear. I de-selected GraphicsEnabler and selected IGPEnabler coz the i3-380M has Integrated Graphics. Also, selected MacBookPro 6,1.

When the installation completed, I removed the Niresh USB stick and rebooted. Takes some time, so be patient. The desktop will come out eventually. Login with user root and let the installation complete. Then, shutdown.

Power on. I now have Mavericks! Audio works. Ethernet works but not WiFi. USB mouse works. The brightness and audio Fn keys works. Display not at native resolution.

DISPLAY NATIVE RESOLUTION

I followed this guide ->
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/

I downloaded Ubuntu Live CD, booted Ubuntu, ran the command:

sudo intel_reg_dumper

and got an error "Resource unavailable".  

So, I ran this command instead:

xrandr --verbose

Somewhere on the screen, I saw:

LVDS1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 ...

So my LCD uses LVDS. I downloaded QE/CI for 10.9.

For Framebuffer, SingleLink-Alternate-LW1-LCD worked for me.

I used Kext Wizard (in the Applications folder) to install all the kexts. Select Backup Kexts in Kext Wizard. Rebuild cache after installation.

I added to "Extra/org.Chameleon.Boot.plist":

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
     <string>1366x768x32</string>

Reboot. Now the display resolution is correct, 1366x768!

WIFI

I downloaded and installed (with Kext Wizard) toledaARPT.kext. Rebuild cache. Reboot. WiFi working!

BATTERY METER

Couldn't get Rehabman Battery Manager kext to work ("No Battery Available"). But got battery meter working with VoodooBattery.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

SPEEDSTEP

Still trying.

Used Chameleon Wizard to generate MacBook Pro 6,1 smbios.
GenerateCStates=Yes
GeneratePStates=Yes

nullcpupowermanagement - works
appleintelcpupowermanagement - normal 10.9, (216.0.0) - KP
appleintelcpupowermanagement - patched 10.9, (215.0.0) - KP

Looking for older AICPM kexts (10.8? 10.7?) to see if they will work.

Last resort is do a DSDT and patch but never done that before so am trying not to go that route.

Besides, Arrandale shouldn't need a DSDT.

NOTES
Use Clonezilla to make whole disk image before experimenting. If you mess up, restoring the disk image is faster than re-installing.  Most times, I could recover by booting Niresh USB stick with -s and manually fixing the files. A few times, I couldn't; Clonezilla saved me a lot of time then.

Will save all the kexts I used in zipfile and upload to Dropbox when I'm done.