3200x1800 14" screen - is it supported?

SRSR333

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys. 

I intend to purchase the new Razer Blade, which was just released a couple days ago, and features a HiDPI screen (even better than either Retina MBP, it has a DPI of 262), a 16:9 aspect ratio, a resolution of 3200x1800 and a screen size of 14 inches. Does OS X support this kind of ultra-high-density screen, and will I see my Display preferences like something similar to the rMBP, where there are scaled resolutions? Or are there some special steps that need to be performed? Note that the Blade comes with Nvidia Optimus, combining an Intel HD 4600 and the Nvidia GTX 870M. The notebook's BIOS does not have the capability to switch off Nvidia Optimus.

• Like 1

For about the same money it looks like you can get the top of the line retina MBP 15" with a better CPU and twice the ram. But also with less powerful dedicated graphics.

If you want to run OSX on a high end laptop, for that amount of cash, I'd actually be inclined to just get the real mac and game/ whatever else on a desktop hack instead. But I guess it depends on how much you need that extra GPU power on the go and if you want the challenge of converting a laptop to hackintosh.

If you use a rMBP system definition, I assume you should get the same display options you would on that system. And OSX definitely supports resolutions that high, so you should be fine.

• Like 2

For about the same money it looks like you can get the top of the line retina MBP 15" with a better CPU and twice the ram. But also with less powerful dedicated graphics.

If you want to run OSX on a high end laptop, for that amount of cash, I'd actually be inclined to get the real mac and game/ whatever else on a desktop hack instead. But I guess it depends on how much you need that extra GPU power on the go and if you want the challenge of converting a laptop to hackintosh.

If you use a rMBP system definition, I assume you should get the same display options you would on that system. And OSX definitely supports resolutions that high, so you should be fine.

Nope, don't use a retina MacBook Pro smbios...

use a MacbookAir 6,2 smbios... to get retina working!

You need to make your own display overrides folder/file and use this tool:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/tree/master/3.%20Patched%20DSDT/UX301LA.More/HiDPI

RetinaDisplayMenu...

In the link is everything described, just the Override files are for my laptop...

I have on my asus UX301LA a 2560x1440 resolution, and i can't use HiDPI with retina smbios...

HiDPI only works with MacbookAir 6,2 smbios....

But you can try yourself out :-)

If you have questions how to make the Override Files, its not hard, i can explain it or make it for you, if you have that laptop :-)

Cheers :-)

And PS: The new Razer Blade is an awesome laptop! The best what you can get for money atm!

You need to change your Wifi Card (there is intel 7260) for this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201051644736

Optimus:

You can switch off your Nvidia card with dsdt code, i can ask you how to do this too!

There should be no problems to get everything working in osx for this laptop :-)

If you have any question, just ask :-)

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to run OSX on a high end laptop, for that amount of cash, I'd actually be inclined to just get the real mac and game/ whatever else on a desktop hack instead. But I guess it depends on how much you need that extra GPU power on the go and if you want the challenge of converting a laptop to hackintosh.

Yeah, I considered the Retina MBP, but to be honest, in Singapore, the higher-end version is nearly 3600 dollars. Not worth it, especially with a GT 750M. Perhaps the SSD and the RAM have more capacity, but I don't need 16 GB RAM; I don't run a server. Even for rendering and stuff, I feel 8 GB is perfectly (more than) enough. And desktops are completely out of the question; they are powerful but too big and cost about the same as a slightly less powerful laptop here in SG.

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/tree/master/3.%20Patched%20DSDT/UX301LA.More/HiDPI

RetinaDisplayMenu...

In the link is everything described, just the Override files are for my laptop...

I have on my asus UX301LA a 2560x1440 resolution, and i can't use HiDPI with retina smbios...

If you have questions how to make the Override Files, its not hard, i can explain it or make it for you, if you have that laptop :-)

And PS: The new Razer Blade is an awesome laptop! The best what you can get for money atm!

Optimus:

You can switch off your Nvidia card with dsdt code, i can ask you how to do this too!

There should be no problems to get everything working in osx for this laptop :-)

Thanks for the inputs. I'll inform you if something doesn't work, because RehabMan at tmx86 had a Yoga 2 Pro that had a 3200x1800 resolution and it didn't work. 

Maybe he didnt used DisplayOvverides and RetinaDisplayMenu tool :-)

It taked time, but i found it out and its definitive working :-)

I used MacBookAir6,2 (and tried MacBookPro11,2) and couldn't get it to boot with QE/CI (using various ig-platform-id values).  I did not have 10.9.2 available at the time and only had 24 hours with the laptop.

Good to hear you have it working on at least one machine.

• Like 1

I used MacBookAir6,2 (and tried MacBookPro11,2) and couldn't get it to boot with QE/CI (using various ig-platform-id values).  I did not have 10.9.2 available at the time and only had 24 hours with the laptop.

Good to hear you have it working on at least one machine.

Ah you didnz get qe/ci, thats an other thing, i spoken about hiDPI...

I have an intel Iris 5100 with qe/ci  and HiDPI an both 11,1/11,2 and 6,2 smbios...

The yoga 2 Pro have an hd4400?

-----------

One thing for HiDPI, the HiDPI resolutions are not available in Settings -> Display resolutions! you need to make a Display override file and use RetinaDisplayMenu tool...

If anyone have an HiDPI Display etc, im here and ready to help :-)

The RetinaDisplayMenu tool, if anyone need it, located here:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/tree/master/5.%20Tools/Apps

PS: Here is an example DisplayOverride file:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/blob/master/3.%20Patched%20DSDT/UX301LA.More/HiDPI/SMbios11.1-DisplayProductID-1406

Ah you didnz get qe/ci, thats an other thing, i spoken about hiDPI...

I have an intel Iris 5100 with qe/ci  and HiDPI an both 11,1/11,2 and 6,2 smbios...

The yoga 2 Pro have an hd4400?

-----------

One thing for HiDPI, the HiDPI resolutions are not available in Settings -> Display resolutions! you need to make a Display override file and use RetinaDisplayMenu tool...

If anyone have an HiDPI Display etc, im here and ready to help :-)

The RetinaDisplayMenu tool, if anyone need it, located here:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/tree/master/5.%20Tools/Apps

PS: Here is an example DisplayOverride file:

https://github.com/Ramalama2/UX301_DSDT/blob/master/3.%20Patched%20DSDT/UX301LA.More/HiDPI/SMbios11.1-DisplayProductID-1406

Yoga Pro 2 was HD4400.  

Maybe with CPU upgrade it could be made to work as it is possible retina resolution is only supported by Apple's drivers with HD5100.

Yoga Pro 2 was HD4400.

Maybe with CPU upgrade it could be made to work as it is possible retina resolution is only supported by Apple's drivers with HD5100.

I need to confirm this, maybe yes, maybe no...

At least we Need anyone with any hi-res display, to Check out:-)

Cheers:-)

• 3 weeks later...

RetinaDisplayMenu...

Optimus:

Hi I just bought this computer (Razer Blade 14 2014). Would you be able to show me how to make an override file for this? Or can you make one for me? Whichever is more convenient. Thank you!

It's easy :-)

Need an ioreg for this step :-)

(Make an ioreg for me)

It's easy :-)

Need an ioreg for this step :-)

(Make an ioreg for me)

Okay so right now I am trying to boot OSX but gets stuck with "bootcachecontrol unable to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist" and I am pretty sure it has to do with my new Razer Blade 14 display (3200x1800 resolution). This machine has the HD 4600 integrated graphics. Is there work around that can be done to get this working? Rehab suggested I look into editing the EDID to make the computer think it actually has a lower resolution display. Any help would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

RetinaDisplayMenu...

Optimus:

What was the product in the ebay link you posted?

The auction has expired, and we can no longer see what was being sold.

Thanks!!