Petition: Release Mac OS X for PC

cool_recep

43 posts in this topic

As far as I know, there never will be case law on individual use, since apple doesn't seem to go after the Hackintosh user directly. I wouldn't be surprised if they suspended an apple ID or two from time to time due to misuse of OS X in a hackintosh, but I've not heard of a single case against an end user. If they were to go after anyone as an "Example" it would make the most sense for Apple to prosecute the Distro teams, especially any whom charge for their release. Forgive me for saying that, since I'm sure members of distro teams probably frequent here.

First, you've never addressed why my understanding of fair use is not valid.  The circumvention part I get and will talk about later, but in and of itself, fair use is an exemption when referring to copyright infringement. 

Here we go again.. Im not getting into a debate, this isn't a courtroom and I'm not an attorney. This is a hackint0sh site and talk of fair use or legality has no business here. It would be the same as trying to talk about it on a forum at a torrent site.

Your argument on "Fair Use" is not valid because you are not using the software fairly! Your intentions are to hack this OS from the start. You know its not intended to be used on a PC when you get it. You know that it can't be booted without "special" means. You know that only a select list of Macintosh models are supported. You know that you MUST provide means of decrypting encrypted work. And if you are booting by any "boot-132" method you must also prepare the install media by special means.. So what exactly is fair here for Apple now that you hacked your way in? Not only are you using their software without purchasing a mac to use it on you are trying to argue all this {censored} you had to do just to get it to boot to that EULA is fair? Yea.. good luck with that!

the fact that we are here, for almost 10 years, is a cabal proof that hackintoshes, like we do, is a good thing for them.

i don´t have a mbp right now because of money, but as soon as i get some, i´ll buy one. what about you? if you could, woldn´t you have a mac? at least an air or a pro?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
what about you? if you could, woldn´t you have a mac? at least an air or a pro?

I have had one since spring 2011. Problem is, I couldn't buy one similar even if I wanted. No more 17" and the 15" ones are Retina only, which makes them very expensive.

• Like 1

I did the same thing bought a MAcBook Pro late 2013 and it runs so hot I can fry an egg on it even with a laptop cooler it just runs too hot in my opinion.  That is the main reason why I prefer the PC with OSX on it, runs cool.

The MacPro 2009 8 core I purchased in 2009 still runs fine and cool.  The USB is quirky though.

I can't even imagine how hot the new MacPro 2013 runs and don't want to know because I will never consider purchasing one. iMacs and mac mini's also run to hot in my opinion.

If they didn't I would have purchased them a while back.  The petition is a good idea before another OS comes along to challenge OSX.

The petition is a good idea before another OS comes along to challenge OSX

Which one? Linux? No way. Linux market share on the desktop is 1.49%. Android (which is also Linux BTW)? Android is a pretty good OS for phones/tablets, but I am not sure it would work well on a notebook/desktop. 

• Like 1

The petition is a good idea before another OS comes along to challenge OSX.

What if Apple does the nth transition ? This time from Intel to ARM ?

Only for the sake of precision: Android is not Linux; it's a Java-based OS that runs on the Linux kernel the same way OSX runs on XNU, but it's not XNU: it's very common to talk about the kernel like it was the OS itself, but it's conceptually wrong (that is, not simply a matter of opinion) and usually follows an agenda, in this case pushing up Linux perceived status in the consumer marketing. Ubuntu UME is an example of a real Linux mobile distro.

That said, I agree with most people here: Apple won't make the same mistake again, and will keep its OS as it should be: a value aggregator for its hardware products.

All the best!

Real Macs are also very cool, but far too expensive. And that is another reason why Apple won't allow anybody to put (officially) OS X on a PC or a clone. They make their money with hardware, not software.

Exactly, as that's their business model. They won't mind giving away OS X for free as long as they have rigs to sell. Microsoft does market hardware, but they're mostly a different ball game.

I have created a petition on change.org for Mac OS X on PC. You might think that Apple would not do that but think again.

I don't have to think again, it's quite obvious why they will never do that.

OS X is free now. They are giving it away. But Apple wouldn't want to support the near-infinite number of possible PC hardware configurations...for free.

Anyone running OS X on a PC is not entitled to support of any kind. We can't ask Apple for anything and we're lucky that it works at all.

Many of us enter into their ecosystem, ie, pay for apps from the app store, pay for stuff on iTunes. Apple benefits from this. We're their consumers, but we have no rights, we can't complain and we can't ask for support.

Your internet browser shows what OS you're running. So, on the internet, all of us appear as if we were using a Mac. This looks great in the statistics and it doesn't cost Apple a single dime.

If I was running a business, that would be my favorite kind of consumer.

• Like 5

If Apple would Open Source some of their older OS X, e.g Tiger etc, that would be the cream on the "Apple" Pie, one that I would like a "Slice" of...

Unlikely; the closest old thing to free Mac OS released by Apple is System 7, which is NOT open source.  It is still closed source (as seen in the italicized part):

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

What makes open source software "FREE software" is more so equal to free speech than free beer.  Here, it's just the opposite: Mac OS 7 downloads are free as in free beer, but not free as in free speech.

(Quote source: https://web.archive.org/web/20070520203932/http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26275)