Macbook pro HDD in a desktop pc

gladii

5 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm nw to the forum and still finding my way around here. I browsed for an answer to this question but came up blank. I'm sure there must be a topic about it somewhere already so maybe some one could help me find it.

Anyway, I have a broken logic board in my macbook pro (late 2011) and was wondering if I could boot my HDD when it's plugged into my old HP desktop. I know it's a long shot, but might as well try it. What I've done so far is connect it and try to boot my OSX partition. I'm given the choice between 32 bit and 64, but none are able to boot. My Ubuntu partition on that drive boots fine. I then attempted to access my files from the OSX partition, which I was able to do as root. Without root, most folders are inaccessible due to permission conflicts. So I was wondering if this was also the reason why it didn't boot.. My desktop is an old HP machine with a core 2 duo processor and 2GB of RAM. The disk has Mavericks installed on the OSX partition. Is there a way to boot this disk or will I need additional hardware? This would be a great way to get some more use out of one old PC and one broken Macbook :P

Any tips are very welcome!

Many thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for your reply! Problem is that I can't boot the drive yet, so I can't really install anything on it. I can mount it on my Linux though (the same machine on which I'd like to boot it), so can I just copy some files over?

What I would do first, would be to create a hackintosh install usb stick, and using a second hard drive, attempt to install mavericks to the new drive. Using searches and the help of this forum, it's possible that you might get at least a somewhat working system. Once you have the new drive running mavericks, you'll know what files and patches you needed to get it working, and you should be able to use the new mavericks install to boot into the desktop and install any kexts to the drive you're actually trying to make use of. You'll definitely need fake smc. Probably may need a patched appleinntelcpupowermanagement .kext, and a few other standard kexts to get it going. Find out the desktop's model and search the net for compatibility. That sounds like a fun challenge/project to me, trying to make a former MacBook hard drive boot on a currently non hackintosh desktop. :) work at it and maybe you'll get somewhere :)

What I would do first, would be to create a hackintosh install usb stick, and using a second hard drive, attempt to install mavericks to the new drive. Using searches and the help of this forum, it's possible that you might get at least a somewhat working system. Once you have the new drive running mavericks, you'll know what files and patches you needed to get it working, and you should be able to use the new mavericks install to boot into the desktop and install any kexts to the drive you're actually trying to make use of. You'll definitely need fake smc. Probably may need a patched appleinntelcpupowermanagement .kext, and a few other standard kexts to get it going. Find out the desktop's model and search the net for compatibility. That sounds like a fun challenge/project to me, trying to make a former MacBook hard drive boot on a currently non hackintosh desktop. :) work at it and maybe you'll get somewhere :)