How to fix the iMessage/Facetime customer code error

38 posts in this topic

Since I installed OS X on my Hackintosh, I’ve been facing this one problem with both iMessage and FaceTime: they’re both not working, instead I’m being greeted with a window saying the following:

Your Apple ID “name@website.com” can’t be used to set up iMessage at this time.

If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below.

Customer Code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

So I’ve decided to write a post explaining how I actually was able to get it work, so let’s begin shall we?

First, you’re gonna need a real serial number, not a fake one, and I actually found a post explaining just how to do that, for more information just visit this link, try rebooting when done.

If you get iMessage to work after rebooting, then congratulations! You got iMessage working! If not, read on.

Second, you’re gonna need to call Apple support, you can call them on the number corresponding to your country or you can simply use Skype or magicJack to call them on their US customer support number,  more info here. In my case, the answer machine picked up the phone, asking me to provide it with the device’s model and serial number, just ignore and it should redirect you to the director of the call centre or another person at Apple support.

Now, he’ll ask you to describe the issue, tell him the following:

I’m calling because I’m having problems with activating iMessage on my [insert Mac model], it’s asking me to call Apple support and provide them with some customer code.

They will probably ask you to provide them with your name, a callback number (if you’re calling from outside the US you don’t have to, just tell them), the serial number and your Apple ID.

Once you’re done, all you have to do is quit out of iMessage/FaceTime and open it again, and you should be able to login and use it normally.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir: I tried your method but no go. The Apple customer service did not call back.

Excuse me my friend, but I've never mentioned Apple calling you back, everything should take place in that one phone call.

Can you describe in details the conversation you had with Apple?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I can confirm that I can sign in using this method!

However, anyone I try iMessaging is "not registered with iMessage". Any ideas?

Edit: Waited for a couple weeks, and today, upon logging in, Messages asked me if I wanted to enable read receipts, and I was able to iMessage people!

Edited by Lacedaemon

• 3 months later...

I tried this method as well (before reading this topic).  I tried to generate several serial numbers with clover configurator (for a Macbook Pro 11,2) and checked each of them on Apple's website until i found one that was genuine.  Then i called Apple support.  When i provided the Serial number and name he told me that this mac was not registered under the same name, i told him that i purchased this mac on KIJIJI (Free Local Classifieds in Canada) and that trick did the job.

But the guy didn't seem to have experience with this kind of issue (he didn't ask for the code, but went through some generic troubleshooting solutions like setting up the right date on my 'Mac').  Everytime a solution doesn't work he was putting me on hold then probably asking his colleagues and this game lasted around 20 minutes.  After that he suggested to put me on conference with their advisor who tried first to confirm the serial number.  Then he also tried a first solution consisting of creating another user account on the mac and login/logout again.

Finally he said that for some reason my Apple ID was blocked (if you only knew why dear advisor :P)  and that he unlocked it.  Immediatly after that everything was working again.  The overall troubleshooting including the first technician took around 30 min.

So yeah i confirm that this trick works, but i am concerned that when the owner of the real mac i took the serial from (it was purchased in Feb 2014 so pretty new) would call and they will tell him that he is not the owner of his mac :D

Hey all,

I had the same issue : "Call Apple customer support".

I called them with Genuine serial (not used in hack smbios). They asked for my name, my AppleID and my customer code and removed something from their support software and everything works good now.

Not sure if they "register" the genuine SN on my name.

It all depends on the rep you get.  I rattled off a fake serial number and then mentioned that I had a customer code instead.  She ignored the fact that I didn't have a real serial number and proceeded with the code.  After that she unlocked my iMessage/Facetime.

Took the time to register and complete the quizzes just to say thank you for this post, it worked flawlessly.  Was only on the phone for 12 minutes with Apple support and 5 of those minutes was waiting on hold when I first called in.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Onixs and me tried to reach them (infact, he tried for me, thanks a lot :wub: ) but the Support Center asked me to share my screen, which I think is too risky (Onixs thinks so too!). So what to do now? We will retry anyway, hoping someone else will help without screen sharing.

EDIT: Fixed iMessage by calling them again (thanks Onixs)

You don't need a real serial number, you can use one generated by chameleon wizard and a proper baseband serial with the proper length, after that try to log in with your apple id, if the first intent fail make another id, sign with it, close iMessage open it again and sign with the apple id original, it will work this time, no calls to support no real serial numbers needed. :P

• Like 2

You don't need a real serial number, you can use one generated by chameleon wizard and a proper baseband serial with the proper length, after that try to log in with your apple id, if the first intent fail make another id, sign with it, close iMessage open it again and sign with the apple id original, it will work this time, no calls to support no real serial numbers needed. :P

This worked 1-2 times... then no longer.

Finally, I called apple care - as suggested by Miztorr - and now problem has ben solved! :lol:

-

I have a question for Miztorr.

Ok, now my i-message works fine. In future - for example after an update of mavericks to 10.9.5 - i-message  will still work?

For the moment, I have solved by replacing the serial number in config.plist with an original apple serial number and calling apple care . This is enough? Or do I have to edit the config.plist as you explain in your guide?

Thank you!

Very bad news.

As stated above, i solved my problem with i-message thanks to calling apple care.

Today, i did a system restore with time machine. I restored the system to a previous date when i solved the problem with imessage.

I then open imessage and i entered username and password (my apple id ) to enter.

Nothing doing: i do not log because according to him my apple id is new and i have to contact customer support in order to solve!

Then: occurs again the same issue as before.

To all: don't waste your time calling apple, so need a little!

Regards.

So why don't you call them again? This is the reason I have three other partitions to try things. My working partition I leave alone because of iMessage. This is the only thing that brakes in my system (if I mess around with it) and after that it's very difficult to solve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I installed OS X on my Hackintosh, I’ve been facing this one problem with both iMessage and FaceTime: they’re both not working, instead I’m being greeted with a window saying the following:

So I’ve decided to write a post explaining how I actually was able to get it work, so let’s begin shall we?

First, you’re gonna need a real serial number, not a fake one, and I actually found a post explaining just how to do that, for more information just visit this link, try rebooting when done.

If you get iMessage to work after rebooting, then congratulations! You got iMessage working! If not, read on.

Second, you’re gonna need to call Apple support, you can call them on the number corresponding to your country or you can simply use Skype or magicJack to call them on their US customer support number,  more info here. In my case, the answer machine picked up the phone, asking me to provide it with the device’s model and serial number, just ignore and it should redirect you to the director of the call centre or another person at Apple support.

Now, he’ll ask you to describe the issue, tell him the following:

They will probably ask you to provide them with your name, a callback number (if you’re calling from outside the US you don’t have to, just tell them), the serial number and your Apple ID.

Once you’re done, all you have to do is quit out of iMessage/FaceTime and open it again, and you should be able to login and use it normally.

Enjoy!

Very good :) it work for me :) thanks so much!!

• 5 weeks later...

So i've delt with many of these calls as a former applecare advisor.

Its important to say that you have an issue with your appleID, the way apple logs cases is either appleID is or a mac issue, if you say something in the lines of i have an issue with my appleID, it gives an custoemr code then you will not need a serial number, just a valid appleID (which you have ofcourse :) )

The reason that advisors are asking for serials or even screen sharing is because they do not know this issue and are unsure what to do with the customer code (not sure how many times i have explained to former colleages what to do with it)

• Like 1

Hi YoYellow,

ok, do I understand correctly: With any (generated) serial i can call apple support in case that my hacky gave me a customer code on imessage?

In case that we get an rookie suporter could you advise, where to point him, for the correct procedure to fix this?

regards

lemans

From my understanding, to get Messages working after getting this error, Apple merely needs to remove a block on your account. I did this successfully last Sunday after being on the phone for over an hour (99% of which was being on hold). It was super easy and straightforward, and everything worked after reboot. Now my issue is that the same error code has come back. I don't know at what point, but I noticed last night that I'm getting the same error, with the same exact customer code. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened because some variable was changing on reboots, but given my customer code is the exact same, it would indicate the same problem repeating itself. So why was I blocked again?

Hi YoYellow,

ok, do I understand correctly: With any (generated) serial i can call apple support in case that my hacky gave me a customer code on imessage?

In case that we get an rookie suporter could you advise, where to point him, for the correct procedure to fix this?

regards

lemans

well yes and no.

a random generated serial will not get accepted at applecare, simply said the system does not recognize it and the advisor will think you made a reading error etc. but for this specific issue you dont need a serial number.

In case of a rookie advisor: they have to the icloud support tool then imesage/facetime..

Because this can be specified as an appleID issue you only need a valid appleID

From my understanding, to get Messages working after getting this error, Apple merely needs to remove a block on your account. I did this successfully last Sunday after being on the phone for over an hour (99% of which was being on hold). It was super easy and straightforward, and everything worked after reboot. Now my issue is that the same error code has come back. I don't know at what point, but I noticed last night that I'm getting the same error, with the same exact customer code. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened because some variable was changing on reboots, but given my customer code is the exact same, it would indicate the same problem repeating itself. So why was I blocked again?

I think your suspicion is correct and something did change at reboot, the code is the same as it is simply account bound and does not change every time you are blocked. the only thing is, you have to call apple again to get it unblocked...