[GUIDE] Installing Mavericks 10.9.0 on a EVGA Z87 FTW/Haswell system [It is possible]

Frank Nitty

29 posts in this topic

Hello I have a EVGA Z87 classified with i5 4690k and 8gb of gskill memory. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to make the setup drive... I modified the mach_kernel and my setup was successful, but I can not change the vinilla mach_kernel to the modified one. It gives me an error that said "mach_kernel same (not copied)" Is that because I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or a difrent problem

Hello I have a EVGA Z87 classified with i5 4690k and 8gb of gskill memory. I used ##### to make the setup drive... I modified the mach_kernel and my setup was successful, but I can not change the vinilla mach_kernel to the modified one. It gives me an error that said "mach_kernel same (not copied)" Is that because I used ##### or a difrent problem

I would suggest following these instructions to the 'T'. Also download and try the 10.9.1 modded mach kernels I have in my guide:

m.    After installing OS X, the hard disk it's on will hold a vanilla mach_kernel. You will need to replace it with the patched version to prevent the instant reboot problem from reoccurring.  After modding mach_kernel on the USB stick, access the OS X installer, go into Terminal (using Utilities  Terminal) and type:

cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/NameOfOSXDisk/mach_kernel"

or follow this (straight from my instructions):

3.       10.9.2 restores the vanilla mach_kernel, causing the early reboot issue that prevents you from accessing Mavs. Download and copy over a patched mach_kernel for 10.9.2 onto the root of a secondary USB stick [and also copy NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you removed from E/E]. Using the USB installer, replace it with Terminal by running the following commands:

a.       Verify secondary USB stick location:

• diskutil list

b.      Mount it:

• diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY

e.g.: diskutil mount /dev/disk2s1

Terminal will confirm the name of the disk mounted

c.       Select directory of USB stick's root:

• cd /Volumes/USBStick/

e.g.: cd /Volumes/CRUZER/

d.      Copy over patched mach_kernel

• cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/NameOfOSXDisk/mach_kernel"

e.g.: cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/MAVS/mach_kernel"

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Security Update 2015-005 1.0 restores the vanilla mach_kernel, causing the early reboot issue that prevents you from accessing Mavs. Download a patched mach_kernel for Security Update 2015-005 1.0 and replace it with the version located on the root of the OS X installation disk. Follow Steps #3a-3d (Updating to 10.9.2 on Z87). Installing NVIDIA Web Driver 334.01.03f04 is optional.

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

• 4 weeks later...