Updated i Tunes and now OSX not booting

g62hack

20 posts in this topic

I have a HP G62 that was running Maverics nicely, and last week my Wife hooked her i Phone up... it told her there was an update to i Tunes available, and she proceeded to have some software updates applied. I am not sure of the exact click trail, but she said it eventually rebooted and it now hangs on the grey apple screen before the spinning wheel shows. 

I did some reading and learned how to set boot options using Chameleon... So I booted using the -v and can see an error as the AppleKeyStore is starting using CPU1... Panic CPU1 caller 0xfffff80002e1f81

Logical apic error, esr 64\n~@Sourcecache/xnv/xnv-2422.90.20 lapic_native.c:744

The research I have completed says I need to run the KernelPatcher module. Just not sure how to patch the files on the HDD, or which files to mess with. I can boot into Windows OK so that is how I am on the forum but Maverics is down. I admit I am kind of lost on next steps, but the logical apic error seems to be the cause of the failure to boot. 

Any suggestions on what happened and how to correct it and how to keep it from happening again ?

BTW... its my Wife's computer, I cannot keep her off of it.

I was surprised about the reboot thing as well. Screen shot attached.

The really long line that ran out of the picture reads:

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff80002e1f8f):”Local APIC error, ESR:64\n”@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2422.90.20/osfmk/i386/lapic-native.c:774
Debugger called: <panic>

post-1314406-0-73880900-1394340462_thumb.jpg

Dcai777, Thanks for the help... it is taking longer and longer to produce a halt. Got all the way through a fsck and other important stuff including some networking. Getting a Bluetooth error now with unsupported locale.

cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -x -v screen shot attached....

post-1314406-0-85043400-1394398188_thumb.jpg

Tried suggestion, and it seems this got a step or two further...saw a ioctl reset during ethernet init? something with that unknown locale ??

AirPort is the last thing mentioned before the Resetting IOCatalogue message.

cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v screen shot attached...

post-1314406-0-95006300-1394412533_thumb.jpg

My system is not using a dsdt (just read about how that may help with system configuration, so I found a tool to help with identifying the system hardware, but not sure if it is the same tool set used here...)

From systeminfo

>>Intel Corporation 0046 Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

/edit- cleaned this up a bit...

8086 Intel Corporation 3b64 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller Communication controller Communication controller 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b56 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Multimedia controller Audio device 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b44 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 Bridge PCI bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b42 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 Bridge PCI bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b3c 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller Serial bus controller USB Controller 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b34 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller Serial bus controller USB Controller 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b30 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller Serial bus controller SMBus 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b29 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller Mass storage controller SATA controller 
8086 Intel Corporation 3b09 Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller Bridge ISA bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2d13 Core Processor Reserved Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2d12 Core Processor Reserved Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2d11 Core Processor QPI Physical 0 Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2d10 Core Processor QPI Link 0 Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2d01 Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2c62 Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers Bridge Host bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 2448 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge Bridge PCI bridge 
8086 Intel Corporation 0046 Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller Display controller VGA compatible controller 
8086 Intel Corporation 0044 Core Processor DRAM Controller Bridge Host bridge 
168c Atheros Communications Inc. 002b AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) Network controller Network controller 
10ec Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. 8136 RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller Network controller Ethernet controller

Jesus christ man. What's "postitive.png" and "check.png"? Please edit and format your post properly.

/EDIT - thank you, much better.

For more information about your hardware on OS X, type this into google: GMA 5700MHD site:insanelymac.com

The research I have completed says I need to run the KernelPatcher module. Just not sure how to patch the files on the HDD, or which files to mess with.

The kernel patcher module goes in /Extra/Modules and patches the kernel automatically. You don't need to do anything.

• Like 1

Intel graphics, sorry for the blob post...

Just a review of my situation:

This HP G62 system is already a hackentosh, it has dual boot, etc and OSX Mavericks was working properly until the i tunes update, so now it will boot only to Windows

Thanks for the suggestions.... trying a -f

Booted with

cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -f -v

cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v

... both seemed to give the same result - looks like image on post #5

Doing more research as per post #13.

/edit

btw... how can I get to  /Extra/modules/  ? Is this accessable from the bootloader screen ?

I have a boot stick that I made using the current version of Mavericks (a standard one and a hackentosh one).

Will also try to see if I can get a boot stick to work.

Tried 9 additional combinations of boot options found on this forum here, part 6 and none seemed to progress past the graphics hang.

I tried these on the USB stick as well, and could not get it to complete a boot either. The image on the hard drive seems to go further in the boot process, finally hanging with graphics I cannot read - looks like image on post #5

Is it possible to specify a boot flag that will return a command prompt instead of trying to start the desktop GUI in graphics mode?

Thanks for the help.... or at least thanks for the responses that helped me learn a bit about the Hackintosh !

This issue is now resolved. 

The system was originally OSX Mavericks 9.1 and had been upgraded accidentally to OSX Mavericks v9.2 and that over-wrote drivers, etc.

The general steps to get the system to boot in graphics mode was to boot into single user mode,

-s -v cpus=1 then do the mount command, and then cd to the System/Library/Extensions directory and delete the files for the Intel graphics and anything with SNBVA in the name. There was a .bak file that I had to delete that as well. Then do a sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches and reboot.

This brought up the system with a default VGA graphics driver, and using that, I was able to get into e-mail and a utility to build the proper graphics drivers, then rebooted again and now have full resolution as before.

• Like 2