Intel HD 4600 not working (Mavericks 10.9.2)

DanielRS

33 posts in this topic

Hello all! I know this has been asked a lot of times in different forums, and it really feels wrong to post about it again, but I tried every solution I could find to no use.

First, my relevant hardware specs:

MOBO: ASUS Gryphon Z87

CPU: Haswell i5-4670k

Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (Integrated CPU)

Some history

Where do I start? Let me see, I installed OS X 10.9.2 using myHack, the installation was smooth and fast, after installation I saw that booting from disk was not working, the system would just boot into UEFI GUI, so I used the chameleon boot loader already loaded in the pen drive I used for the initial installation.

The system has some problems booting without some tweaking (as usual with Intel HD Graphics 4600). The systems almost always get stuck in the Bluetooth Controller line, I read that when this happens is because the OS cannot load the Graphics driver. It is also worth noting that I'm using an HDMI cable from my PC to a VIZIO LED-TV.

What I tried?

Booting arguments

-v        Most important argument

-x        System boots without problem

GraphicsEnabler=No IntelAzulFB=0-15        Not a single one works consistently, sometimes a number works (3, 6 or 9) but when they do, they boot into safe mode without even using the -x flag, so the system 'works', it detects the HD 4600 but only with 7mb of VRAM

System definitions

iMac 14.2

MacMini 6.1        causes kernel panic in numbers 10 and 13

What I have configured in my UEFI settings?

Secure both: Other OS (disabled in other words)

Primary display: iGPU

iGPU Memory: 64MB

VT-d: Disabled

What now?

I'll try to use all the IntelAzulFB numbers again, using a new system definition. I hope you can help me find a solution. Maybe the IntelAppleFrambufferAzul.kext is corrupted or something? I don't know.

Best regards.

Update

A picture of my system report:

KixT21M.jpg

Also I post my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IntelAzulFB</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UserKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Boot with -v dart=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Check if in System/Library/Extensions you have AppleIntelHD ** kexts

I tried those args and the system gets stuck in the same place ([iOBluetoothHCIController][start])

Also, I do have all those kext, moving them to a backup folder makes the system boot in generic VESA mode.

Best regards.

Which bootloader you have installed and which version number is?

Start with DropDMAR=Yes

I'm using Chameleon svn2266 (the one that is installed with myHack 3.3, I'm using the USB to boot).

P.S. That argument doesn't work either, you think I should try to inject my Intel HD 4600 through DSDT? The problem is that I know nothing about how to do it.

i think you should boot from the hdd first of all.

I tried, but Chameleon doesn't seem to boot from my SSD, only clover does. I still think Chameleon is easier to test on, so that's why I'm using the USB, once I can fix the problem with Chameleon I can try with Clover.

Best regards.

I tried, but Chameleon doesn't seem to boot from my SSD, only clover does. I still think Chameleon is easier to test on, so that's why I'm using the USB, once I can fix the problem with Chameleon I can try with Clover.

Best regards.

I couldn't get my HD4600 to play along until i updated the chameleon on the pen drive that was the only way i could boot at the time, since then i could run 10.9.1 with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IntelAzulFB</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Boot with -x, run chameleon wizard, on download pick a newer version, choose to install on the pen drive if that is still the only thing that boots for you.
Verify the new version and try to boot it.
(IGPEnabler and GraphicsEnabler i thought were one or the other, it wouldn't use acceleration until i had it like this plist i pasted)

HTH

Side note, this is a Mac Pro 3,1 here.

Side note2: I came here actually looking for why what worked in 10.9.1 leaves me some gfx memory trash all over since 10.9.2

Thanks guys, I ended up installing Windows. Will wait until I get a replacement for my nVidia card, hopefully OS X will be easier to set up with it.

Best regards.

P.S. I tried the suggestions of the last post, updating chameleon and using the same org.chameleon.Boot.plist, but it didn't work, maybe is just an issue with 10.9.2

I ran into the exact same problem you describe trying to get the HD 4600 to work in Mac OSX 10.9.2. Whereas it worked fine in 10.9.1 under both Clover and Chameleon, no special tweaks required.

I've spent the last few days fighting with it, trying everything under the sun—DSDT edits, framebuffer patches, updating to 10.9.3 beta, etc.

It just absolutely does not work and I'm surprised more people haven't raised this issue (probably because most people don't rely on IGPUs I'm guessing lol).

Possible solution:

Just tried swapping out /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext for the version from 10.9.1, and the HD 4600 IGPU now appears to be fully operational.

• Like 3

Hi guys I have same problem.

Computer has following HW:

MSI H81M-P33
Intel Core i3 4330 with Intel HD Graphics 4600
ZEPPELIN 4GB DDR3 1600MHz GOLD

Before installation and after installation I had to go this:

boot with -s

Type: mount -uw /

Type: cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type: mkdir intel_back
Type: mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/
Type: touch ../Extensions
reboot with -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes IPGEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1

​If I wouldn't do that my Mac couldn't even start (after installation I can start just with -x mode if I wouldn't do that).

But I have Intel HD Graphics 4600 and it show to me 7MB VRAM of Graphics, and no kext loaded (of course they are moved) but Ican't start with these files in the folder. So.. what should I do?

Edit: I found out that boot working with every file of this name but exclude AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext. This kext doesn't work and doesn't let me boot.

Possible solution:

Just tried swapping out /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext for the version from 10.9.1, and the HD 4600 IGPU now appears to be fully operational.

Would you share the .kext? I can't find it anywhere else, and I would like to try this fix.

• 2 weeks later...

i have maybe different problem same  intel 4600  cpu i5 4670k

when i use GE=Yes and  IntelAzulFB=10 or 9 then i stuck in verbos mode while i hear sound of system working,

when i use only GE=Yes then system boot but only """ Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4600 64 MB of Shared System Memory """

using Mavericks 10.9.1 

If you want to try again, but it with clover boot loader, PM me. I has the same problem as you, but with clover it is extremely stable. Zero problems. I also use the HD4600 graphics.

i used clover but was stuck in bluetooth line.

what are the config in clover.?

PS : i use VGA ( maybe is this the problem )

i used clover but was stuck in bluetooth line.

what are the config in clover.?

Download Clover Configurator; the plist is in EFI-Clover

PS : i use VGA ( maybe is this the problem )

This is the problem, without maybe; try HDMI or DVI

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been around for a while now and I know I haven't been the most active user on this forum but I'd like to thank all of you a lot for the help you provided all these years.

I've been struggling for days with my HD4600 graphics on Mavericks and I finally made it work!

I tried several bootloaders, IntelAzul values, platform ids, patches, flags... Either my computer booted with a blank screen, or didn't with kernel panics or stuck on "missing bluetooth controller transport"

My solution was to keep the Azul kext from 10.9.1, I installed it with Kext Wizard in S/L/E and I can now boot properly with IntelAzulFB=10.

I hope this will help someone with the same IGPU.

Thanks again,

FYI :

AsRock H81M-ITX

Intel i3-4330 (HD4600 on HDMI)

OS X 10.9.2 installed with myHack

AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext.zip

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been around for a while now and I know I haven't been the most active user on this forum but I'd like to thank all of you a lot for the help you provided all these years.

I've been struggling for days with my HD4600 graphics on Mavericks and I finally made it work!

I tried several bootloaders, IntelAzul values, platform ids, patches, flags... Either my computer booted with a blank screen, or didn't with kernel panics or stuck on "missing bluetooth controller transport"

My solution was to keep the Azul kext from 10.9.1, I installed it with Kext Wizard in S/L/E and I can now boot properly with IntelAzulFB=10.

I hope this will help someone with the same IGPU.

Thanks again,

FYI :

AsRock H81M-ITX

Intel i3-4330 (HD4600 on HDMI)

OS X 10.9.2 installed with myHack

Thanks, after much back and forth, only staying on 10.9.1 was possible for me.

I had this problem on 10.9.2 and 10.9.3, using the kext above i am now booting fine with HD5000 and Azul FB kext showing as loaded in system report.

Safari now works normal instead of the black blocks i used to get when an upgraded 10.9.2/3 would run, just without loaded kext.

Drop shadows are no shadows instead of vertical line garbage.

So instead of staying behind on 10.9.1 fully, just staying behind on 10.9.1 Azul is acceptable for me right now.

Thanks ToberMory0

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing.

It looks like most who are able to get their HD4600 use HDMI.

I am using a DVI screen with my i5-4570 + H97N-WIFI and nothing has worked yet.

I tried to put your AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext in my S/L/E and repaired permissions, but QE still doesn't work.

I have no problem booting, Mac Profiler shows I am using the HD4600 with either 1024 or 1536MB of VRAM, but QE isn't working.  I can't watch videos with VLC or mPlayerOSX, The transport doesn't move in Logic unless I move the window around and all windows are extremely glitchy, especially when using Safari, Chrome is less prone to tearings and glitches.

Scouting the net for the last 2 days seems to indicate some problem between HD4600 and x97 boards.

• Like 1

Thanks!  

I had my eyes on a reasonable gt640, but I may go lower than that, to a GT210, just to get by, until (hopefully) the HD4600 issue is resolved.

I would hate to go expensive and something happens down the road and support is gone!