Error coming up when going to erase partition.

maxell505

6 posts in this topic

Trying to install OSX on the partition I made in Windows but when I go to the erase tab and make the format MAC OS Extended (journaled) and than click erase, it comes up with an error saying:

Volume Erase failed with the error:

Couldn't modify partition map.

---------------------------------------

I think I might have made the partition NTFS when I made it in Windows. Please help. 

Partition the HD using the MacOS installer disk utilities. Use GUID option and at least two partitions. One partition for Mac formatted as MACOSJournaled, the other for Windows formatted at FAT32.

Install Windows to the FAT32 partition (reformatted to NTFS during installation). Then install MacOS to the 'Journaled' partition.  You will need to install a bootloader such as Chameleon to the Mac partition (unless you want to boot the machine each time using your Mac USB installer).

Partition the HD using the MacOS installer disk utilities. Use GUID option and at least two partitions. One partition for Mac formatted as MACOSJournaled, the other for Windows formatted at FAT32.

Install Windows to the FAT32 partition (reformatted to NTFS during installation). Then install MacOS to the 'Journaled' partition.  You will need to install a bootloader such as Chameleon to the Mac partition (unless you want to boot the machine each time using your Mac USB installer).

But I already have Windows installed to a partition on my hard drive.

Use Parted Magic, erase the partition without formatting, now you can format the unallocated space with Disk Utikity

Sorry but is there a free option available. I do not want to pay for this program. I have a bootable version of paritition wizard burned to a DVD. Can I use that to do this.