OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 to dev

178 posts in this topic

After a few days of testing I can say this build finally solved my gfx artifacts I had since 10.9.2 with the window server.

Most people didn't have it and I'm pretty clueless why one would have it and most wouldn't.

With some of the dev builds it got to a point the whole hack would freeze (no kernel panic!) and needed a hard reset.

Strangely, also some iMacs and MacBooks suffered from it and mainly Macs I maintain, the only other cases I heard of were from macrumors.

As soon as .3 final build hits the App Store I'll convert the last few company-critical macs to mav as the 3rd party software has been tested and proven fully working.

Unfortunately with this build after sleep I got the artifacts back :'(

But not of the kind that causes crashes, for that I have to test safari more as it mainly happens with online video's such as youtube.

Sometimes I would see them within the finder window surrounding icons.

I probe the Intel Power Gadget and I get the same Frequency in a .CSV file.

Any ideas to get mor P-States?

PowerLog creates .ipg file; reduce the resolution for more samples.  IPG/GUI show all the frequencies.  Increase the resolution in IPG and the results are the same as MSRDumper and HWMonitor (i.e., idle and turbo).

Had some time to look up my problem with the gfx artifacts on the late 2012 iMac.

It appears the log get flooded with these errors:

AVF error: AGPMGetManagedPortForAccelerator returned 0x4 for VP4

AVF error: "PluginProcess[326]: AVF error: AVF_VirtualAcceleratorCreate: fail to create QT accelerator"

After researching a bit I found out this is related to how quicktime renders video's and images... which makes sense why we would continuously get this while using anything video or gfx related.

For some people is seems to go away with the .2 update, for some it gets introduced by exactly the same update... very weird.

In the end I guess we're stuck with 10.9.1 as that's the latest without this nasty problem.

Crashes however have become rarer but I wonder what kind of errors I might see once it does again.

So everyone be sure to have a good backup ready as any mavericks update may cause this and there's no easy fix.

• Like 1

What graphics is this that you have problems with?

late 2012 iMac   Graphics
  • 2.9GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

• 3.2GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Configurable to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.

Yup those and on my hack I got a 660Ti which also suffers from it (funny enough replacing it with an ati 6870 card or another nvidia card doesn't solve it).

what it looks like:

Black blobs random across the screen (very common, colour either black, purple or green):

WXEPlmY.png

Stripes across 1 part of the screen (rare):

2oSf3ns.png

Webelements totally displaced and partial text:
ZJM8bEV.png

Random green blob:

ggeCFwO.png

Two coloured green blob:

8lVH8Rk.png

Multi-coloured blobs in finder:

i2RcD3p.png

Purple blobs:

CLRvwAS.png

Black blobs (yes in this case it also flashed which could cause epilepsy even while I don't suffer from it :P):

XYsp8lp.png

And I could go on and on... sometimes I even forget to make screenshots.

The longer the mac or hack is on the worse, a reboot would usually solve it.

A long working day will almost surely show you the last example.

But we also get these blobs or whatever they are when saving from photoshop to .png, in which case once you open it on that mac or another you see those blobs/scambled picture... in which case it's permanent.

You see it's quite frustrating once you got it, and I've personally seen reports starting from 10.9.1 and experienced it myself on 10.9.2 and all the dev builds 10.9.3 in some degree.

This kind of stuff is exactly what I use the dev builds for (+ testing software of course, but that's not mostly me) and it's the first time we get very severely problems with osx since the os 8 days.

So if you look up the log errors I gave you surely you'll find more cases as I did, but not with screenshots.

i would suspect the problem is from using an iMac profile and the graphics it uses. does it happen with using a mac pro profile?

Now I could do that for the hack but it's no good for the real iMacs, is it?

At home on my mack it takes fairly long before the problem kicks in, a runtime of days with the usage of sleep when not in use.

If anything I want to find the root cause for the office... I can live with a restart on my hack.

Well for those who concern it: artifacts are nearly gone here (build 13D61).

Have spotted a few single blobs but nothing serious yet.

If it stays this way  I'll finally upgrade all macs to .3 final straight from .1.

How many p-states do you have? It's working fine your Power Management? Do you use Haswell? thanks.

it seems that Apple provided employees with a newer 13D57 build (two days after 13D55 build for developers)

maybe the public release will take place next tuesday?  :construction:

Well, it won't be long anymore as they have release the 10.9.2 sources.

I'm thinking final 10.9.3 soon...

Well, it won't be long anymore as they have release the 10.9.2 sources.

I'm thinking final 10.9.3 soon...

Great news!

But I see Apple published XNU-2422.90.20 while I have installed

slice$ uname -a
Darwin iMac.local 13.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: Wed Apr  2 23:52:02 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.92.1~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

and my system is 10.9.2  :ninja: