New motherboard

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been building a hack and keep running into various problems that I now believe are all entirely related to my poor choice in motherboards.  Not that I think that the ASRock z75 is a bad motherboard, and indeed if I just wanted to run windows the computer I have built would be a thing of beauty.  However, Nothing I've tried over the past few months has made the computer run stably, so I am just going to put a new motherboard in, and I need advice on what the Community thinks would be the right motherboard for my other hardware pieces, and would install OSX 10.9 with the least amount of hassle, as I have run out of the slow methodical patience which has heretofore been the hallmark of my approach to building this computer.

Said hypothetical motherboard would need to be able to fit an Intel LGA 1155 type processor and also have a PCI express 2.0 socket and preferably be be a regular ATX size.  Any thoughts?  What has worked for you in the past? 

All motherboards ASUS and Gigabyte Z77 chipset are suitable for the purpose, if you don't want trouble buy a Gigabyte GA-Z77 DS3H.
My ASUS is perfect but you have to work a bit to get a system running at 100%

When you say discreet graphics, would those be a part of a processor or the motherboard?  Also, does that mean that any graphics card I use will be no good?

What OSX installation method would you recommend for the z77 series?

The discrete graphics is external to the motherboard, it should be inserted in the PCI-E slot, if you buy an nVidia GTX6xx you are sure that everything will work properly.
The integrated graphics processor (HD4000 for Ivy Bridge Core i7) requires a connection of DVI or HDMI, because the VGA is not supported by OS X

Install method: Pandora or any guide in forum

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to install with pandora, but something keeps going wrong.  OSX installs, and then the computer restarts and gives me, among other things, an smc readkeyaction error, or something like it.  I think I might be installing it wrong.  Any advice?  The guide for pandora doesn't really explain how to install it or which options to choose while doing so.

When I manage to get as far as installation (and this only happens occasionally, I'm still not sure what some of the correct options are while creating the USB installer), the computer then restarts, and attempt to boot from USB are met with a grey screen, even when using GraphicsEnabler=No (do I have to capitalize 'No'?).  Attempt to boot from the HDD are met with the boot0 error.  Any ideas?  Should I instead be attempting a UEFI boot/install with clover or something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...