Suddenly not booting anymore - "Stil waiting for root device"

3 posts in this topic

From one day to the other my 10.9.1 install suddenly won't boot anymore. I'm getting 3 lines of "Radeon Sensors: Waiting for Accelerator to start..."

Then it shows "Still waiting for root device.

I didn't change any config or kexts or anything (manually)

The only thing I did on the system the last time was merely updating HWSensors app and the corresponding FakeSMC plugins

I can't boot the system whatsoever no matter what settings I try in Clover. I can't even get into the single user console.

What could possibly cause this?

(I did check the HDDs Smart values - all green)

I managed too boot again, using rd=diskXsY at the Clover menu. But It wouldn't boot without that even after a successful startup.

Now this would seem like an easy fix by just putting it into Clovers config.plist

But I have 2 HDDs in my Laptop which aren't always detected in the same order. So sometimes my OS X disk is disk0 and sometimes it's disk1

Any suggestions on this?

So I now put rd=disk0s2 into clover.plist to make it boot without having to type it manually each boot and the system works. However, I found more weird behavior: When I go to "About this Mac" and then to Harddisks it shows my system partition as "Untitled" and all used space as "Other".

When typing "diskutil list" in terminal I get the following output:

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data                         499.8 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk1
   1:               Windows_NTFS System-reserviert       367.0 MB   disk1s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS Seneca                  749.8 GB   disk1s2

As you see disk0s2 is flagged as "Microsoft Basic Data" where it should be Apple HFS+

As I said the system works despite of that as long as boot argument rd=disk0s2 is used. But how would I correct this error without having to repartition and reinstalling everything?

EDIT: I found the solution. Using GPT fdisk (gdisk) I was able to correct the partition type ID in the GPT