Project AnodizeD: G5 mod

Razzle_Dazzle

107 posts in this topic

This is how the front fan direction would look like pulling air and pushing it through the PSU board. Directing cool air around and through the heatsink gathering hot air and pushing it out through the back.

Air_flow.jpg

This how a fan over the top would work. It is basically the same thing either way. 

Air_flow_top_fan.jpg

I just prefer personally to use the fan already in the case. 

I understand.
Me too i want to reuse the original cpu fans.
You can testing the PSU temp. in this version?
Because in the Italian forum where I write, tell me that if i do so, the UPS gets too hot.

I understand.

Me too i want to reuse the original cpu fans.

You can testing the PSU temp. in this version?

Because in the Italian forum where I write, tell me that if i do so, the UPS gets too hot.

The PSU usually have a cut off temp sensor that shut down the unit before it over heats and blows a component. I do not know if the PSU I bought has that but I will try it out once I load things on it like Lights and other hard ware. The placement of the PC can also effect the cooling of the unit. For instant if you have the Tower in a corner where there is no cool air flowing it will start to recycle the warm air it blows out leading to overheating. As well as if there is not to many sufficient fans to cool the hardware you will get random failure. The tower is massive about as big as a server or a gaming tower with a lot of air vent's which will help to allow air flow to pass through. 

The original PSU fan are powerful for it's size as well it is a little noisy I cut off the fan control line ( the yellow one) and just loaded straight 12volt (Red one) on both fans.

You have connected the 2 fans at the PSU pin, right?

I tried it myself, and the fan spinning very slow, instead if connecting with a molex the fan is spinning very fast.
It's possible because the PSU is not connected to an PC, but at the PSU tester?

Fan connected with a molex:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=71moib&s=8#.UyPWC4WdaUk

Fan connected with the original PSU fan connection:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2hdazxh&s=8#.UyPWZIWdaUk

You have connected the 2 fans at the PSU pin, right?

I tried it myself, and the fan spinning very slow, instead if connecting with a molex the fan is spinning very fast.

It's possible because the PSU is not connected to an PC, but at the PSU tester?

Fan connected with a molex:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=71moib&s=8#.UyPWC4WdaUk

Fan connected with the original PSU fan connection:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2hdazxh&s=8#.UyPWZIWdaUk

`No your PSU has a thermal sensor when your PSU is cool the PSU board gives the fan only 5v till it starts to heat up in which the board gives the fan 7v then 12v to cool the unit down. If you run the PSU for awhile you will notice it will start to speed up as the unit is under load. You can if you want to by pass it all and run the fan with the molex internally. 

No, i don't want bypass the thermal control, because the fans is very noisy at full speed.
I prefer to leave the fans thermo controlled.

According to you, add two other fans in extraction, it is superfluous, or is a good idea?

No, i don't want bypass the thermal control, because the fans is very noisy at full speed.

I prefer to leave the fans thermo controlled.

According to you, add two other fans in extraction, it is superfluous, or is a good idea?

If you want to go that route you can it will tunnel the air better allowing a more control air flow through the PSU. 

I  myself was thinking of adding an additional two other fan to help the air flow but I will do that later if I feel the air flow isn't as good in the case. 

Mar. 14 and Mar. 18

So I order a couple things from eBay, I went ahead and order 25 feet of white PET sleeve for the hackintosh as well as set of female molex connection and the adapter for the 50 pin to SATA for the optical drive. 

If the sleeving is of good quality I will order more from the same seller. I still have to order another set of grey silver sleeving  and black sleeving later on. 

While I wait for the sleeving to show up I well start to work on the sheet metal.

One problem that I did not for see is the factor of the sheet metal being to bridal to bend

7bhs.jpg

After cutting and filling I was hoping I can do my 90 degree bend what ended up happening is a complete break..Bummmer 

624e.jpg

So I went back to the drawing board and decide instead of doing this the "hard way" why not do two plate one sit on the other. 

The process of measuring and then cutting and drilling took a couple days of course family and client comes first. 

The first plate is already set on the case, I forgot to take picture of the process 

but for the most part here is the very top

q8ga.jpg

1pkx.jpg

This is all for today, will get back to it after I spend some quality time with family.

Well today came the sleeving :) Ohhhhh boy!

t49y.jpg

The sleeving is not very good quality but you pay for what you get. In the end I might have to wrap or paint the wire before sliding on the sleeving. 

If you notice also I went ahead and started to lace the cable :) first attempt took me 4 hours just on this alone but well worth the practice with time. 

I will continue to work with the sleeving I plan on using Teflon for two main reason, 1. it will mask the color from bleeding through and 2. It will help slide the sleeving over more easily. I will practice with my next set of cables tomorrow. 

I still have to do the PSU cover but I am personally debating myself  if I want to go the route I plan with the connection sticking out on top or just the connection for the molex and SATA and PCI-e and have the x4 connection and the x24 connection sliding right out through but sleeved. 

Good sleeving :P

lol thanks XP I am going to get more of that silver grey sleeving so I can do the Power supply and the x4 northern bridge cable. 

Mar. 19

After letting the JB weld cure for 24 hour I went ahead and tried out my slot drive cover. 

I know not the best cut but it won't matter it will be covered. 
m0h8.jpg

The outer peice fit's beautifully on the case. No fus and no problem just fit in properly :)
rjdf.jpg

I have yet to address the front I/O panel jack
r1wl.jpg

I have decide where I will place both my USB and my audio/mic
35qt.jpg

I was thinking of getting a card reader but have thought it twice instead I will play it safe and make it very simple. Just USB I might look for acouple USB 3.0 to use instead. 
pfys.jpg

I am glad I did a couple test fit of the slot drive before deciding to JB weld the front on and drilling out the hole for the slot. 

The drive just fits a little tight in the center. I must address this
teo0.jpg

The front face sits right but the slot does not :/ its a little to high again will have to fix this by cutting off the bottom of the sheet metal already JB welded to the case
ivdi.jpg

One great thing is alignment is spot on :) even if it it sits high the side align it properly. 
8jmm.jpg

Well I will do a cut tomorrow to address the problem where the slot sits and then drill out the holes and file it down for the slot hole. 

I am waiting for my order for the adapter on optical drive as well as acouple set of female molex pin.

I want to redo the tray slot :/ rethinking on how the board will sit, though I like the raised easy to lift handle I didn't think about how much the bend took from the actual tray and will redo this once more as well as paint the tray and then cover or leave as is?

Will order a 25 feet of silver grey sleeving and redo my line as well as save so I can do the power cable and the x4 northern bridge cable. 

I still want to back light the motherboard tray as well as the PSU cover. 

I need to as well do the back end of the case and add the I/O back panel.

Very nice, but why do not you let the original aspect of the G5 front?
For my G5, i have ordered the Laser Hive kit for mobo tray and back panel.

Very nice, but why do not you let the original aspect of the G5 front?

For my G5, i have ordered the Laser Hive kit for mobo tray and back panel.

I decide to change a few things. The USB 2.0 is nice and necessary but having just one USB 2.0 is not enough. My friend and his wife each owns a iphone 5 and an ipad air so having just one front USB 2.0 and a Firewire is not going to help. I decide with the case donation by my other friends for the project to take both USB 2.0 to give him a space for two connection. I might even plan on using USB 3.0 if supported by Mac OS. I wanted to also add the addition of a card reader but thought it through and I know he will not even use that so I throw that out of the way. I might end up doing is making it a quad USB 2.0 and a dual USB 3.0 for 6 USB connection total front. I am also planning on making a audio/mic port for him.  

I am glad you finally were abile to buy the motherboard tray and the back panel. As soon as i am done with the front panel I will start on the back using my ATX board as a stand in for the mATX. 

I decide to change a few things. The USB 2.0 is nice and necessary but having just one USB 2.0 is not enough. My friend and his wife each owns a iphone 5 and an ipad air so having just one front USB 2.0 and a Firewire is not going to help. I decide with the case donation by my other friends for the project to take both USB 2.0 to give him a space for two connection. I might even plan on using USB 3.0 if supported by Mac OS. I wanted to also add the addition of a card reader but thought it through and I know he will not even use that so I throw that out of the way. I might end up doing is making it a quad USB 2.0 and a dual USB 3.0 for 6 USB connection total front. I am also planning on making a audio/mic port for him.  

I am glad you finally were abile to buy the motherboard tray and the back panel. As soon as i am done with the front panel I will start on the back using my ATX board as a stand in for the mATX. 

Thanks man ^_^

But you do not enough of the  ports on the back of the mobo?

However, for the front, you know this:

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/front-panel-conversion-for-g5mac-pro/

Thanks man ^_^

But you do not enough of the  ports on the back of the mobo?

However, for the front, you know this:

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/front-panel-conversion-for-g5mac-pro/

Lol the back port will be hardly used much only for external hard drive, keyboard and mouse or any other thing. Having enough front port will be better since he will not have to reach for the back to get to the back ports. 

I know about that It is nice looking but not what I really want to use which is why I am making my own. I think I remember seeing somewhere a template for the front port I/O panel somewhere. 

Mar. 22 and Mar. 23

So after a day to let the bond cure and a couple cuts so I can fit the slot drive in easily

2tvu.jpg

I used a grinding tool to cut the slot in the middle of the metal as well as grinded the paint off the metal so the next set of bond will hold. 

wg72.jpg

So now just another 24 hour to cure. 

qx59.jpg

Well that is all for today.. still need to buy another 5mm (.22inch) plexiglass to redo the motherboard tray.

Been a kind of slow and mellow day. Went to a local hardware store and got another Plexiglas

Instead of using measurements for a mATX I went ahead and used my old gigabyte ATX board.

4rkx.jpg

I decide not to play around with the tray and just do it simple and easy.  

oe1q.jpg

Since I had problems with the other motherboard tray trying to set it into place I decide after beating my brains to make a template. 

A Simple template for the 4 remaining original mac motherboard spacer. 

uv2r.jpg

From here I plotted out where I need to drill, Of course I will hold off till after I cut out the new motherboard tray.

lzew.jpg

It was a lazy day today there for I was a lazy man. So I didn't do much..

I order a set of "platinum gray" sleeving 1/8 and 25feet and a I/O panel for the hackintosh as well as a new shirt for myself to wear. Old shirts getting faded quick. Should learn not to work in new clean shirts haha. 

Well done :thumbsup_anim:

I don't have the courage for cutting the G5 front  :P

lol thanks XP yeah i was nervous when I was cutting into the case for the first time hahaha. 

I still need to cut some more up toward the audio hole just under the original hole for the power button. I will do the same as I did for the disc drive slot only for the audio and quad USB. 

Hopefully my order will arrive soon some time this week to weekend. 

Hopefully come soon.

I too am waiting the mobo tray, but the Laser Hive has broken the laser :(
Then i have I modified the Laing Pump:

2dounr.jpg

Hopefully come soon.

I too am waiting the mobo tray, but the Laser Hive has broken the laser :(

Then i have I modified the Laing Pump:

2dounr.jpg

WOW! that looks great!  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

So you will water cool then? 

WOW! that looks great!  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

So you will water cool then? 

Thanks.

Yes, because i have Pump, cpu water block and radiator (140mm) from other aborted project, then i wont to reuse them.

I need only tube, reservoir and fittings.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Yes, because i have Pump, cpu water block and radiator (140mm) from other aborted project, then i wont to reuse them.

I need only tube, reservoir and fittings.

That is awesome :) looks like you do not need much then for sure to finish the job. 

That is awesome :) looks like you do not need much then for sure to finish the job. 

Yes, and the Laser Hive has sent the mobo tray :drool:

Now if i sell my old stuff, i'll have the money for buy the rest.

• Like 1

Yes, and the Laser Hive has sent the mobo tray :drool:

Now if i sell my old stuff, i'll have the money for buy the rest.

That is awesome :) glad for you  :thumbsup_anim: Hope you make out alright with the selling so you can get the rest of the things you need. I want to see your mod at the end