Does Hard drive matter?

mi1knc0okies

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Obviously I'm pretty new to the forum and new to the whole OSx on a PC thing. I've built PC's in the past but have been living off my macbook for a few years now. I been trolling the forum for almost a week now and had been before that been getting my information from another site who's agenda doesn't align with the spirit of the osx86 scene. From my time on that other site i've started ordering a few parts and am set on the parts to make my build. I dont know if i've just been brain washed by all the info on that site but is SSD necessary? I figure I can get a 60gig or 120gig rather expensively and that the speeds of SSD is far superior than traditional HDs. But do Brand or model matter when it comes to getting my hackintosh to function. I have an extra 2TB Seagate HDD that I can throw in to store my info. From my research here I know my processor mb and graphics card should work. Just trying finalize and buy so I can try and complete my build. Also Debating if actually need vs want an i7 especially since i found a decent price bundled with this mb. 

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Socket LGA 1150 Boxed P -$249

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Mo -$129

ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Direc -$199

Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB DDR3-1866 PC3-14900) -$119

No. SSD brands and models don't matter. 

The *other* site seems biased towards certain brands and stores for every component.

It has absolutely nothing to do with compatibility. Just do your research and you'll be fine. 

• Like 3

...Also Debating if actually need vs want an i7 especially since i found a decent price bundled with this mb.

AFAIK i7 vs i5 (desktop versions) are different mainly in regard of Hyper-threading (i7 has BOTH multiple cores AND hyper-threading, i5 has ONLY multiple cores and NO hyper-threading). Hence if your daily computing needs can benefit from hyper-threading, then yes, i7 is the right CPU to buy. Else i5 would be sufficient for most tasks. IMO

AFAIK i7 vs i5 (desktop versions) are different mainly in regard of Hyper-threading (i7 has BOTH multiple cores AND hyper-threading, i5 has ONLY multiple cores and NO hyper-threading). Hence if your daily computing needs can benefit from hyper-threading, then yes, i7 is the right CPU to buy. Else i5 would be sufficient for most tasks. IMO

Graphic and web design with some occasional video editing? With the savings of an i5 i can buy a 120gig SSHD. I did want to the option of gaming while dualbooting windows. 

If it's really occasional video editing (not something you do for living), then yes i5 should be enough. As for graphics, it depends on the applications used. Some require powerful GPU, some are more CPU oriented.

I use Illustrator a lot of photoshop and lightroom. I play with a lot of photography. Going to buy a new GoPro for this seasons track days but planned on doing more video stuff. I plan on installing VMWare and trying to teach myself some programming mainly dealing mobile apps. i5 with lots of memory should be fine right? More money to put towards my gopro.