Can this old open source Intel WiFi driver for OS X be updated?

Dr. Hurt

6 posts in this topic

I was searching online to see if anyone has ever tried to port Intel wireless drivers from Linux to Mac OS X and this is what I found:

https://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/source/browse/

Did this project ever produce a functional driver? Is it possible to update/build on it to support newer Intel chipsets?

Edit: Apparently this driver has many limitations. OS X detects the wlan card as an ethernet, and encryption is not supported.

AFAIK the sources are very far from complete.

mercurysquad made much more advanced VoodooWireless driver for Intel 3945. I was tested it and was thinking to repair but the task is too complex.

The driver works but without decryption (even WEP as declared) and so useless. Didn't check quality and stability because no traffic.

I can upload my copy of his sources if someone wants to continue. Or it will be better to ask the author.

For me I found it is cheaper to buy Broadcom 4312 then spend my time on this driver.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to take encryption into our hands using custom apps.

An example of what I mean is Ralink USB WiFi which which has its own (3rd party) app for searching for and connecting to WiFi networks bypassing the OS X infrastructure for that.

Wouldn't that make it easier?

Would it be possible to take encryption into our hands using custom apps.

An example of what I mean is Ralink USB WiFi which which has its own (3rd party) app for searching for and connecting to WiFi networks bypassing the OS X infrastructure for that.

Wouldn't that make it easier?

Anyway some efforts needed.