Driver for Realtek's RTL810x Fast Ethernet Series

Mieze

179 posts in this topic

Newbie here. I had a hackintosh for two years, build from refurbished components, I used the Tonymacx86 method to install Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra. The old motherboard crashed las month, and I replaced it with a similar one, slightly older. Ethernet refused to work. All attempts to get a working kext failed.

Specs are

Gigabyte fsb 1066 ga-945gzm-s2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Nvidia GeForce 6200

Due to the Nvidia Graphics card I need to use npci=0x3000 flag to get it to boot. On the previous motherboard, this caused no issues with the lan connection.

I have aquired another lan card, RTL8139c, RehabMan on the Tonymacx86 board said to get the kext created by Mieze. I did, but it failed as well. I have downloaded the latest kext posted by Mieze, linked in this thread, found the kext file and pasted it into the installation pen drive. Failed. Reading this discussion, I see that she says that npci=0x3000 with cause issues with the lan kext. Perhaps this is why none of the lan cards do not work? In this case, I shall need a video card replacement. I am willing to cooperate and get logs and such, if I am showed where to find them, I have never face anything like this in the previous two hackintoshing years. I have only installed kexts using pkg files (the least mpkg) or copy/past into the Clover kext folder in the EFI partition, so I need to learn the other way to install them as well.

Newbie here. I had a hackintosh for two years, build from refurbished components, I used the Tonymacx86 method to install Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra. The old motherboard crashed las month, and I replaced it with a similar one, slightly older. Ethernet refused to work. All attempts to get a working kext failed.

Specs are

Gigabyte fsb 1066 ga-945gzm-s2

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Nvidia GeForce 6200

Due to the Nvidia Graphics card I need to use npci=0x3000 flag to get it to boot. On the previous motherboard, this caused no issues with the lan connection.

I have aquired another lan card, RTL8139c, RehabMan on the Tonymacx86 board said to get the kext created by Mieze. I did, but it failed as well. I have downloaded the latest kext posted by Mieze, linked in this thread, found the kext file and pasted it into the installation pen drive. Failed. Reading this discussion, I see that she says that npci=0x3000 with cause issues with the lan kext. Perhaps this is why none of the lan cards do not work? In this case, I shall need a video card replacement. I am willing to cooperate and get logs and such, if I am showed where to find them, I have never face anything like this in the previous two hackintoshing years. I have only installed kexts using pkg files (the least mpkg) or copy/past into the Clover kext folder in the EFI partition, so I need to learn the other way to install them as well.

My driver doesn't support the RTL8139 but there used to be a native driver for this chip in Snow Leopard. Even the source code is available and, in case the binary doesn't work out of box, it should be possible to build this driver for newer versions of OS X which still support 32bit kernels.

Mieze

My driver doesn't support the RTL8139 but there used to be a native driver for this chip in Snow Leopard. Even the source code is available and, in case the binary doesn't work out of box, it should be possible to build this driver for newer versions of OS X which still support 32bit kernels.

Mieze

Well, I am not too advanced so that I would be able to build the kext from source into a new version, from Sierra. I was hoping that there was a way to bypass the npci=0x3000 and make your kext work in Sierra. If not, my Hackintosh is lost for good, I need to get a new system. If the npci=0x3000 is caused by an issue in the motherboard itself. Right now, I have an onboard lan rtl8110sc and another lan card rtl8139c. You say there are no kexts for this lans for Sierra.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ricoc90

Hi,

I have a HP 625 notebook with a RTL8101E card.
I installed the kext, which loads fine but my internet won't come up. 
It's either "Cable is not plugged in" or "Cable is plugged in, but the computer has no IP-adress assigned to it".

When I manually assign a DNS and IP to the interface, the same happens only then it toggles from "Connected" to "Cable is not plugged in".
Funny thing is, it does not matter if the cable actually is plugged in or not... even if it is not it still toggles between "connected" and "cable is not plugged in".

I also notice that there's no MAC-adress assigned to it...

Any idea how I can get it working?

Thanks in advance

RTL8101E.txt

Hi,

I have a HP 625 notebook with a RTL8101E card.

I installed the kext, which loads fine but my internet won't come up. 

It's either "Cable is not plugged in" or "Cable is plugged in, but the computer has no IP-adress assigned to it".

When I manually assign a DNS and IP to the interface, the same happens only then it toggles from "Connected" to "Cable is not plugged in".

Funny thing is, it does not matter if the cable actually is plugged in or not... even if it is not it still toggles between "connected" and "cable is not plugged in".

I also notice that there's no MAC-adress assigned to it...

Looks like ASPM is causing the trouble. Either way you have messed with the settings in the driver's Info.plist or your BIOS forces it's activation. In case you played with the Info.plist, revert your changes, but if it's the BIOS you need to disable ASPM support for the driver to work properly.

Mieze

Guest ricoc90

Hm... I did not change anything within its info.plist, so I guess my BIOS is the culprit. 
I don't have any settings option related to ASPM... only the basic stuff like boot order, SATA mode, supervisor password, UEFI on/off et cetera. Nothing power management related anyway.

EDIT: Well, it does not matter anymore. The laptop had a broken screen and I was busy replacing it. While it was still in a 'test setup' (read: laptop and screen dismantled) my cats thought it was a good idea to pull everything from the dining table. Thus the replacing screen is also broken now.  :D R.I.P. 

Edited by ricoc90

Mieze

Please i request you to make the RTL8139 driver compatible with newer versions , i am currently on yosemite and i have tried every kext available but i can't make my ethernet to work. By using your driver ethernet shows as connected but i can't connect to internel also DHCP shows wrong ip address.

Please i request you to make the RTL8139 driver compatible with newer versions , i am currently on yosemite and i have tried every kext available but i can't make my ethernet to work. By using your driver ethernet shows as connected but i can't connect to internel also DHCP shows wrong ip address.

Let's be real about one thing: Wasting serval hours of work in order to support 20 years old hardware is beyond all reason. Take my advice and upgrade your system!

Mieze

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

@jalves: I've checked the driver's code again and found no evidence for a driver bug. I don't have hardware to test myself but as sleep/wake and link change detection are basic functions of a driver which have been thoroughly tested, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which a driver bug causing this behavior wouldn't have been found much earlier. That's why I'm not willing to believe in a driver bug until some user with the same chip confirms this issue.

Please check your BIOS settings and make sure that network boot, the UEFI network stack as well as any LAN related power management functions are disabled (in particular if there is any function to put the NIC into a low power state when the cable is disconnected). 

Mieze

Hello @Mieze

Just to write down, I decided to test version 1.0.0 and "voia-la", the problem I reported did not occur.

It works 100% after sleeping or unplug and plug the cable.

;)

Hello @Mieze

Just to write down, I decided to test version 1.0.0 and "voia-la", the problem I reported did not occur.

It works 100% after sleeping or unplug and plug the cable.

Congratulations but it doesn't change my point of view because the RTL8106E is one of the most frequently used chips of this series and in case of a serious bug there would be more than just 1 error report. As the driver loads Realtek provided firmware into the chip, which may be different in 1.0.0 than 2.0.0, this could be the reason for the problem but that's beyond by scope.

Mieze

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, baddles said:

Hi, I have this issue where the network will be "jammed" if I try to download 2 files at the same time, any idea why this happen?

I have Realtek rtl8139/810x on my laptop and using your kext.

Sorry, but you are on a wrong track because this is not a driver issue. A driver handles packets, nothing more and nothing less. Anything else is located in higher levels.

Mieze

On 2/19/2014 at 7:43 AM, Mieze said:

I put the driver into EFI/Clover/kexts, and the driver is already loaded, but the Mac address is wrong. I used the Debug driver, but I didn't find anything related to the Realtek RTL8100 in /var/log/system.log. ,Can you tell me what to do? Thank you!

17 hours ago, LockyDeng said:

Follow the instructions in post#1 of the thread. They have been updated for Sierra and above a few moments ago.

Mieze

9 hours ago, LockyDeng said:

Mieze please help me analyze the log. Thank you very much.

kernel_2.zip

The driver reports 40:28:36:42:80:ff which is not a valid address. In order to find out what is wrong I need to know the correct MAC address.

Mieze

On 5/2/2018 at 11:51 AM, LockyDeng said:

Mieze, Do you need me to provide more information?

No, I didn't need more information, just a little bit of time which is a scarce resource at the moment. Please try this and report back. Good luck!

Mieze

RealtekRTL8100-V2.0.1d0.zip

Edited by Mieze

On 5/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, LockyDeng said:

This driver works very well! When will you publish the final version? Thank you very much!

Already done a few moments ago. Have fun!

Mieze :cat:

Hi Mieze,

I have tried your driver on Sierra but when I rebuild the kernel cache I get this error:

kxld[com.insanelymac.RealtekRTL8100]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOEthernetController' for vtable 'vtable for RTL8100' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.

Link failed (error code 5).

Prelink failed for com.insanelymac.RealtekRTL8100; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Please help! :)

The latest prebuilt version requires High Sierra. In order to use it with Sierra please compile it with Xcode 8 using the MacOS 10.12 SDK and 10.12 as the deployment target.

Mieze