Clock on Mavericks is too fast

Eweie

6 posts in this topic

Hi again. recently i installed mavericks on my system and it all works perfectly exept 2 things. iCloud and the system clock. 

it goes about 8% faster than it should, so when it syncs the time or the system starts, the time is correct but it will be about 20 minutes ahead of real time 3 hours or so later.

it's a nuisance because it affects Skype chats and i believe it affects the editor of Screenflow too. I think anything that relies on time is affected. (like my pomodoro timer)

Im just wondering if theres no fix to this. I heard somewhere that it might be the AMD kernel is not perfected yet but saw someone mention that setting a proper bus ratio is a solution. But i can't find anywhere what the proper bus ration for my cpu might be.

I have a Phenom II x4 940. stock clock is 3 ghz but down clocked it to 2.3 because the mobo can't handle the stock speed.

the iCloud problem is not a big deal right now but any help would be appreciated too.

Thank you.

(I'm using the AMD kernel in the first post of this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the same problem on all the kernels that I have tried in the AMD testing thread.. Have you or anyone else had any success in troubleshooting this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

time is managed by two processes /usr/bin/ntpd and /usr/libexec/pacemaker

ntpd was updated in 10.9.2, but not 10.9.1

look in your system.log for messages mentioning these two daemons - is ntpd exiting with a code 15 (SIGHUP) a lot ?

I have a similar problem. I can't decide whether either ntpd or pacemaker are buggy or whether the underlying motherboard clock sources are being skewed somehow.

Look at the last column (Jitter) of the output from /usr/bin/ntpq -p

If those figures are > 100, something is wrong with the way that ntpd is counting ticks.

Do you have the VoodooTSCSyncAMD kext installed ? I found that cured many of my AMD post-install nonsense.

I have been experiencing the same problem on all the kernels that I have tried in the AMD testing thread.. Have you or anyone else had any success in troubleshooting this issue?

Hi, no I have not been able to solve it :(

time is managed by two processes /usr/bin/ntpd and /usr/libexec/pacemaker

ntpd was updated in 10.9.2, but not 10.9.1

look in your system.log for messages mentioning these two daemons - is ntpd exiting with a code 15 (SIGHUP) a lot ?

I have a similar problem. I can't decide whether either ntpd or pacemaker are buggy or whether the underlying motherboard clock sources are being skewed somehow.

Look at the last column (Jitter) of the output from /usr/bin/ntpq -p

If those figures are > 100, something is wrong with the way that ntpd is counting ticks.

Do you have the VoodooTSCSyncAMD kext installed ? I found that cured many of my AMD post-install nonsense.

Hi, no I don't have that kext. I could try it I guess, did it fix it for you?

I also should mention I figured out my bus ratio, but setting the value to it in chameleon doesn't change anything and setting it a number lower produces a slower clock...

This clock bug is not a deal breaker for me but it IS a huge issue because it causes a de-sync of midi devices. for example the audio might die in the middle of some games and you will get a bothersome popup in garageband or logic that the midi got out of sync with the external device.

Also some movie players will get out of sync with the video as the audio will play faster.

It obviously affects everything reigned by time as Skype and getting calendar notifications half an hour before you scheduled them is not fun.

I can't check right now the logs but I will.

Hi, no I don't have that kext. I could try it I guess, did it fix it for you?

Without the VoodooTSCSyncAMD my system (and the install disk) was unusable - loads of obvious weird stuff - keyboard presses not appearing until I clicked the mouse, graphics window zoom animations stopping at random points so my windows were all sorts of weird scaled sizes.

I'm still trying to find what's causing my clock problems in 10.9. My symptoms are worse than yours - the clock works fine for anything up to 3 hours and then randomly jumps back in time by a couple of hours. If I have an external USB drive attached and I start Time Machine, the clock also goes haywire. I think that is an interrupt conflict somewhere.

I have an Asus M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 4200 and nVidia 8800GT.

I'm using this kernel at present

uname -a

Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: za  9 nov 2013 21:28:59 CET; SinetekBronzovkAnVoodoo v2.0.0:xnu-2422.1.72-AMD/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Without the VoodooTSCSyncAMD my system (and the install disk) was unusable - loads of obvious weird stuff - keyboard presses not appearing until I clicked the mouse, graphics window zoom animations stopping at random points so my windows were all sorts of weird scaled sizes.

I'm still trying to find what's causing my clock problems in 10.9. My symptoms are worse than yours - the clock works fine for anything up to 3 hours and then randomly jumps back in time by a couple of hours. If I have an external USB drive attached and I start Time Machine, the clock also goes haywire. I think that is an interrupt conflict somewhere.

I have an Asus M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 4200 and nVidia 8800GT.

I'm using this kernel at present

uname -a

Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: za  9 nov 2013 21:28:59 CET; SinetekBronzovkAnVoodoo v2.0.0:xnu-2422.1.72-AMD/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Yes that definitely sounds worse than mine.

I installed that Kext last night and been using my computer all day and I have not seen any difference what so ever. the clock still goes a bit fast but nothing has changed. my system is pretty rock solid and fast though. I usually leave it on weeks at a time.

I'm on a Phenom II x4 black edition 940 down clocked to 2.31from 3ghz because my mobo can't handle the voltage needed for 3ghz.

I should also mention that I have just been informed that Skype calls are affected as well by this bug, or at least I think it's related. after a while of calling in Skype (around 30 minutes) my voice will start sounding robotic to the other person and with static, and very rarely the sound will just die completely (usually playing Killing Floor and calling) I have to open the MIDI preferences and switch the Hz frequency back and forth for the audio to come back.

This might just be mavericks though. apple asked devs to concentrate on graphics and audio drivers for the beta release of 10.9.3. I'm on 10.9.2 and I use an usb sound adapter.

And all of these problems might also just be that the AMD kernel isn't totally perfected yet so I hope they know of these problems and can help us by making a better kernel or something.